Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Maps

Options
  • 30-11-2020 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here yet, but Apple Maps now support Eircode. Just tried a few of the ones I know and they brought me to the right addresses ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

seems to be mainly urban address the few rural addresses i tried mine included couldnt be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tried mine (mid-west town) and it worked.

I tried a random one for a place in the middle of nowhere in Donegal (F92 XXXX). It didn't find the house itself, but it brought me to the general F92 area up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nextgen2020

Just tried my Dublin address. Doesn’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Works perfectly for me. Good to see.

I like functionality, layout and appearance of Apple Maps just the content needs to improve and this is a good step.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

There seems to be a ‘very’ select few Eircodes available ... Whatever the logic is behind this! 2021... 7 years after the launch of Eircode 😀

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't waste your time with Apple Maps. It is horrendously bad, even with the new updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Apple Ireland doesn't have an address box for your eircode. Whenever I order something the DHL guy calls me for my eircode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Apple Maps is improving a bit but it's definitely second fiddle to Google Maps.

Also, yeah I had the same issue with Apple Store. I put in all my address details correctly and they sent the package with the first line of the address and the suburb name. No Eircode, no city / county and it got confused in the courier company's sorting system for several days.

I rang them and told them about it but I think they just don't really seem to have a clue what they're doing with Irish addressing. It's crazy given they've a huge European operation in Cork and they clearly put effort in like entirely localising Siri to the point that it has two Irish accents and understands "what's the craic."

Even when you're filling in information it has something like

Street Address:
    Apartment / Suite:
    City:

Basically tries to force it into some kludge of an American format and leaves out half the lines when it prints on the label.

Plenty of other companies support Eircode very well at this stage. I have even found Eircode fields, with auto look up on French retail sites at this stage.

The only way I could get it to work "reliably" for the last order was to put the Eircode in on one of the wrong fields and at least that way it came out on the label.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Their addressing is genuinely garbage.

If I open Apple Maps and type in my address it finds it. If I then click the button to save it to my contact card, it stores it. But if I then go into my contact card and click my address it can't find it! No combination of my address in the fields will work in my contact card, it will never be found by maps. But if I open maps and type my address in manually it finds it no problem.

How this nonsense gets past testing is mind boggling.

My address is a standard address too, no funny stuff. House number, street name, town, county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

It's going on for years too. I always had difficult entering a basic Irish address on their websites. It will often take the address and it looks like it's worked and then you discover it's been forced into some weird US or German format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I tried attaching my work address to my contact card but it just doesn’t work. It will drop the pin on the town but not the exact location of my work. Bit of a dose considering I’d like to run reminders etc when I get to work.

Have found Apple maps to be poor tbh but much better looking that Google maps.

Advertisement