Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second phone number just for SMS verification?

Options
  • 15-01-2021 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I would like to set up a second Telegram account, one for online communities, another for people I know in real life, but this cannot be done without two unique phone numbers.

I have a dual SIM phone, with an old work Vodafone number I took from an old job but I never used it so when I was warned it would expire/disconnect if I did not top it up I let that happen. I could reactivate it, or just order a SIM from Gomo or 48 but I would rather not have to pay to top up a SIM card every few months just so I do not lose access to Telegram.

Are there any Irish mobile providers that actually will not disconnect you for not topping up, or do you have any experience using VOIP or any online SMS verification service online for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are a couple that will survive on €5/year last time I checked, hardly bank breaking. VOIP will probably cost more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Would a free account from

https://www.freespeech.ie/home/index.html

suffice?

Might be worth trying to find out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Would a free account from

https://www.freespeech.ie/home/index.html

suffice?

Might be worth trying to find out. ;)

Wow that site hasn't changed in about 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

AFAIK Freespeech free accounts only give an xxxxx@freespeech.ie address to use with a VOIP/SIP app so it won't be able to receive a standard verification SMS.

A Lyca SIM is probably the easiest to get as they're available in Spar / Gala etc

Does Telegram need ongoing SMS verification or just once at account set up?

48 seems to only need one euro every 6 months.

All the rest either need a top up every 6 months or need to be paid for up front.

Tesco SIM costs 15e and stays active for up to 2 years.

Vodafone SIM is free but needs 5e every 8 months for incoming service.

Advertisement