Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WinXP Keeps Dropping IP Address

• 07-07-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

HI Folks,

I am having a bit of a problem with my computer and my ISP. I recently switched from Eircom to my new ISP who came out installed a modem and at the time I was away so I had to rely on a housemate to check if everything was ok and it was on his laptop (which he has had no problems with at all since the switchover). I on the other hand had two desktops (both Cat5 cable connected) and one laptop which I connected up a few days later when I got back.

Now the wierd thing is that one of these XP computers keeps crapping out about every 30mins, if I am trying to look at something online it just won't response (not a 404) just the connection is dead. I generally have to close my browsers 'repair' the connection and then restart my browser and it all works ok. The other computer has no such problems it just works and keeps the connection for hours on end while the other one will fail within 30-45mins guaranteed.

When I rang my ISP they informed me that if the Wifi is working ok then it something 'internal' and Im basically left on my own to figure this out. My own person view is that's nothing but ass covering bull**** as my entire network is basically their router. Anyway I've never seen this before so I'm looking for some feedback from people.

My next steps are to remove the network drivers then reinstall them, if that fails I might try a fixed IP address.

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

PDD wrote: »
    HI Folks,

I am having a bit of a problem with my computer and my ISP. I recently switched from Eircom to my new ISP who came out installed a modem and at the time I was away so I had to rely on a housemate to check if everything was ok and it was on his laptop (which he has had no problems with at all since the switchover). I on the other hand had two desktops (both Cat5 cable connected) and one laptop which I connected up a few days later when I got back.

Now the wierd thing is that one of these XP computers keeps crapping out about every 30mins, if I am trying to look at something online it just won't response (not a 404) just the connection is dead. I generally have to close my browsers 'repair' the connection and then restart my browser and it all works ok. The other computer has no such problems it just works and keeps the connection for hours on end while the other one will fail within 30-45mins guaranteed.

When I rang my ISP they informed me that if the Wifi is working ok then it something 'internal' and Im basically left on my own to figure this out. My own person view is that's nothing but ass covering bull**** as my entire network is basically their router. Anyway I've never seen this before so I'm looking for some feedback from people.

My next steps are to remove the network drivers then reinstall them, if that fails I might try a fixed IP address.

Regards,

Dave

An upgrade to windows 10 & upgrade the routers firmware should sort this out for you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Don't go digging up nine year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement