Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming channels around the house - Zgemma or Digibit R1?

Options
  • 29-04-2020 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hello,

I have an ancient Alien2 triple tuner that still works but I set up the enigma2 plugin in Kodi on a Pi and the Alien2 is just not up to the job of streaming to that Pi... too little processor and no gigabit ethernet is the problem I think.

So I'd like a new set up where I could stream channels around the house. Not just to view channels but to get the epg, schedule and view recordings. I think I have two options:

Option 1:
    Get a more powerful, but still affordable, triple tuner like the Zgemma H7S. Use the VU+ enigma2 plugin in Kodi to stream channels from the Zgemma to clients around the house (i.e: Pis running Kodi) I think this will work better than the Alien2 because the Zgemmas better hardware specs.

Option 2:
    I've been reading about the Telestar Digibit R1 and how you connect your satellite dish to it and then you connect it to your router then use TVHeadend to send the channels over ip to clients such as Pis running Kodi.

Does anyone know if one of those options is better than the other in terms of performance... like picture quality or any other reasons? I couldn't find hardware specs on the Digibit. Not sure if its processor/memory is any better than the Zgemma H7S whose specs are:
    Broadcom BCM7251S Dual Core 1.7GHz CPU
    Gigabit Ethernet
    1GB DDR3 RAM
    4GB eMMC NAND FLASH

Except I think the Digibit supports the Sat over IP protocol whereas you would need to install a minisatip plugin on the Zgemma enigma2 image and not sure how reliable that set up is.. So maybe the Digibit would give a more stable performance?

But option 2 seems more complicated and do you end up doing more work to get a similar end user experience? Plus you would have to buy a DVB-T2 tuner separately.

Cheers,

Flex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Digibit Manual should answer most of your questions
    https://www.pulsat.com/files/telestar_digibit_r1_user_en.pdf

The 100Mb/s network connection should not be a limiting factor unless you have multiple client devices viewing different HD channels concurrently.

The Digibit is a tuner box so all its resources are applied to one main purpose.
    Other boxes spend their resources on various things such as HD display of channel, EPG gathering etc etc.

I elected to divide the 'work' amongst different devices so I could get the best from each.
    So I use a device that could be a R-Pi to run tvheadend , which then manages all the Sat>IP channels, client connection, EPG etc.
    This then feeds the requested tv channel to the client devices.

Yes, in addition to the Digibit, which has only DVB-S/2 tuners, I also have a HDHomerun tuner device which the Tvheadend server treats in similar manner to the Digibox. So it is all Sat>IP in nature.

Yes, with separate devices, you end up doing more work.
    I would suggest the capabilities of the system for LiveTV would be greater with the 'separates'.

I tested my system with 6 HD channels being used without problems.
    This being more than I would expect to need in normal use.

The client device is where the main resources are used ..... HW decoding of HD or UHD channels. (yes the wee server cares not a whit about SD/HD/UHD, it is all just data going through).

I have used Kodi throughout on the client devices which gives a similar user experience regardless which client someone uses.
    The backend attend to EPG, Picons, Recordings and so on, and feeds the info to the client, so all clients get the same info.
    The recordings are stored on a central device and all clients have access to that also.

The big ticket for me is that any single device in the system can be upgraded or replaced while the rest remain as before.
    If I invest in a UHD TV I can (if I need to) just change the client device to one which can handle and display UHD.

I have no experience of attempting to use a Zgemma H7S in a similar fashion, so cannot make comparisons.

A benefit for me is that I can place a TV anywhere in the home and get the full TV experience without thinking about running coax cables from an aerial or dish or attic or such.
    The Cat5e/Cat6 cables are easier manage and serve to also carry internet without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Telestar Digibit R1 Would it work over wireless or maybe Powerline adapters?

m8 wrote: »
    Telestar Digibit R1 Would it work over wireless or maybe Powerline adapters?

Yes to both, but that is outside of the R1 so if not working properly it is a network problem.
    The same applies regardless of device.

IMO, wifi is not suited at all because it is easily interfered with by other electrical devices. If used try to keep distance short between transmitter and receiver.

Powerline adapters are fully dependent on the house wiring.
    They work well in my house, but the same cannot be said generally.
    Mains wiring was never intended to carry data and so it might work everywhere in the house; or only in some locations; or nowhere.

LAN cable (Cat5e or better - Cat6) would be the recommended means of distributing data.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Digibit Manual should answer most of your questions
    https://www.pulsat.com/files/telestar_digibit_r1_user_en.pdf

Thanks for this comprehensive summary!

There are no details in that Digibit manual about how much memory or processor speed it has. Also, the box seems to be at least five years old... so hardly latest technology. But I see what you mean... it's designed to do one thing only and clearly, from my reading around, it does that well.

The Sat over IP solution you describe is brilliant. More people should know about it. Even better with unicable lnb and if the Digibit had FBC tuners and dual DVB-T2 built in. But it's overkill for my needs and elaborate with lots of moving parts.

Others have said the Zgemma h7s can stream channels to the LAN very well. If it doesn't do what I need I'll put it on donedeal.

Cheers,

Flex

Thanks for this comprehensive summary!

There are no details in that Digibit manual about how much memory or processor speed it has. Also, the box seems to be at least five years old... so hardly latest technology. But I see what you mean... it's designed to do one thing only and clearly, from my reading around, it does that well.

The Sat over IP solution you describe is brilliant. More people should know about it. Even better with unicable lnb and if the Digibit had FBC tuners and dual DVB-T2 built in. But it's overkill for my needs and elaborate with lots of moving parts.

Others have said the Zgemma h7s can stream channels to the LAN very well. If it doesn't do what I need I'll put it on donedeal.

Cheers,

Flex

Yes, most of the Linux powered boxes have the ability to stream channels, even if it is not initially 'built in'.
    I agree it would be nice if there was a Sat>IP tuner box available that had DVB-T/2 tuners in addition to the DVB-S/2 tuners.
    I am unsure what advantage FBC tuners would provide in this situation ..... I use a Unicable LNB and 4 DVB-S/2 tuners have been sufficient. Of course I could always add another R1 to the LAN and have 8 :D (getting costly then)
    The HDHomerun device for DVB-T/2 behaves in the system in similar manner to the R1 ....... Sat>IP set up in Tvheadend is similar.

If I ever decide to use a streaming service Tvheadend can also handle that, as can Kodi, so I reckon I should be mostly future proof ...... except of course the providers nobble their service and make it so non-standard that It is pointless even trying to receive it.

We all have our needs and on top of those our wishes.
    I got mine covered by this system, thankfully, but for certain it is not for everyone.

TBH, if I had money to burn on a hobby (yes large amounts) I would like to design, build and sell a server box that had DVB-S/2, DVB-T/2 and streaming capabilities, with multiple tuners at a reasonable cost and maybe a 'companion' device with HDMI or DP++ output. Multiple companion devices could be connected for multi-room use at about €50 each with 4K & HDR capability.
    Even for those without the requirement it would probably make economic sense.

How much is that lottery today? ...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I'm sure there is a market for a new generation Digibit that has those features.. it's not very expensive the way it is now... around €134 on amazon.de

If more people realised this stuff was possible I'm sure they would be open to it... especially as people are becoming more tech savy and less inclined to be tied to expensive and limited channel packages. It's ideal for wall mounted TVs and apartments where you can't or don't want to drill holes and run unsightly cables.

Regarding the FBC tuner, I hardly understand it but read that with unicable you can tune 8 transponders from any satellite band. If the digibit had 4 x fbc tuners and you had unicable to your dish then that would let you streaming (or record) 16 different channels at same time, even more if some were on the same transponder. This would give huge flexibility to a large family or if you wanted to create a shared service in a small apartment building.

A limitation of Digibit R1 is the lack of compatibility with legal Sky viewing. Would be great if you could put your Sky viewing card into it and stream out those channels anyway you like... fat chance I know.

I can see myself giving in and buying a Digibit just to play around with.

Flex

The tuners in the R1 are capable of operating as separate tuners fed from 4 coax cables, or with one coax from a Unicable LNB. The mode of operation is chosen in software. The LNB is capable of supplying 32 channels, or 8 x DIgibit R1 devices. :D

I do not know enough about FBC tuners to make any real assessment.

The lack of compatibility with Sky services is solely down to Sky.
    They do not permit any device other than their own, to receive their service, from Astra.
    I believe it might be somewhat different from other transmitters/satellites, but have no experience of those.

There is not a lot to play around with on the R1, once it is set up as needed.
    Pity, as I like messing about with such stuff. :)
    Of course if it were just a plaything and not required for permanent use, then yes there is quite a lot to delve into.

BUT, I would not expect a great deal of interest in a device like I described.
    People are loath to change, and the idea of a STB sitting with the TV is fixed in their minds, so it will take a while for that to fade.
    By then we will be using different tech anyway I expect. :D

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you. ;)

Advertisement