Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question re Beef Genomic Scheme.

Options
  • 30-11-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi all,got a panicky call from an elderly neighbour this eve,he's decided late in the day to go into the Beef Genomic scheme!!

Am sitting here in his house trying to sort the paperwork for him,he only has 4 cows that calved to AI in spring.
    He's wondering if he enters with his 4 cows, will it be 3 this year to qualify and then will he have to buy some replacement cow to meet the quota in 2018?

He's good cows and three of them are 4 and 5 star.I'm not in scheme so not AI fait with it.He has the tags,if I stick them in tomor eve for him will they be a bit of leeway getting forms back do ye reckon before this cut off I see on one letter of Dec 3rd!??

He's wondering say if he tags the 3 cows,will his other cow do to meet requirement for 2018?

Really appreciate any quick replies,sitting having the tae with him before we fill in the forms!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Was the closing date not months ago?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How many stars is the 4th cow? I reckon he'd have to get at least 1 replacement by 2018?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Is it not only cows born after 2013 that will have to count in 2018......maybe I'm completely wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

mikeoh wrote: »
    Is it not only cows born after 2013 that will have to count in 2018......maybe I'm completely wrong!!!

I think they got rid of that rule to try and keep farmers in the scheme.

OP, how many cows had he calved in 2014, what is his reference no of cows?

AFAIK it's not too late to tag the cows and send of the samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

tanko wrote: »
    I think they got rid of that rule to try and keep farmers in the scheme.

OP, how many cows had he calved in 2014, what is his reference no of cows?

AFAIK it's not too late to tag the cows and send of the samples.

Thanks Tanko,he had 4 cows calved,I'm going to tag then tomor eve,do paperwork now and post stuff 2mor eve.

Reckon they will let people go for a week or so....will put in a cover note for him.

For other poster his 4th cow is 2 star....but like a lot of things a good breeder:)

Thanks to all for replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

He'll be grand I'd say. Twould be hardly worth his while tho really. But if he wants to do it then grand. He must have signed up for it already if he has tags. Once all cow's and heifers are tagged they will move onto the young stock. So he'll probably end up genotyping calves next year. He'll have to keep the calves for at least 5 months tho.
    Tell him to keep an eye out for the surveys in the post. Tis very easy to peg it in a corner and forget about it.
    Fair play to you for helping him out. Love to see people helping out there neighbours especially elderly folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

The ICBF details dam dociltiy etc due to be filed before DEc 6th or 7th need to double check which. Did mine today online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

This man would have good fun trying to do it 'online':).....

Yeah he had signed up alright and was advised by a few local 'experts' to do it as it was 'money for jam'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I see in the farming independent today that because of low uptake of the BDGP scheme 17 million is to be transferred to dairy farmers under the dairy age package . Looks like the BDGP scheme was made unattractive with an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Just wondering did anyone else get all of their tags in the post today? And does that mean iv only 4days to get the tags back? Because that's deff not going to happen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

This man would have good fun trying to do it 'online':).....

Yeah he had signed up alright and was advised by a few local 'experts' to do it as it was 'money for jam'

Hi western,

Is it really worth his trouble for 4 cows .. You will be badgered with questions. Next thing is he will want out and your task will be to organise minimum clawbacks!

What will he do re classroom training day?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

On my own farm we were meant to send in the tags by September(? I think), we called them up and said they were away from the homefarm and itd be too awkward, they gave us til December so we tagged em there two weeks ago and sent them off. Call them tomorrow morning and ask for a bit of an extension :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I see in the farming independent today that because of low uptake of the BDGP scheme 17 million is to be transferred to dairy farmers under the dairy age package . Looks like the BDGP scheme was made unattractive with an ulterior motive.

Pity they just don't top up the beef farmers who applied for it instead of giving it away to dairy farmers.:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

blue5000 wrote: »
    Pity they just don't top up the beef farmers who applied for it instead of giving it away to dairy farmers.:(
    Ain't that the truth , the scheme is just about worth doing , be nice if the spread the money make it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭angusangus

Ain't that the truth , the scheme is just about worth doing , be nice if the spread the money make it better

I still think the icbf and the genomic testing fees are too big a slice of a small cake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

How did they manage to come up with such a convoluted scheme at such a low payment rate ,its pretty senseless to be given money to support one sector then to divert it to another . This looks like the stunt they pulled with the Hen Harrier scheme.

angusangus wrote: »
    I still think the icbf and the genomic testing fees are too big a slice of a small cake
    And don't forget a nutritant plan must be done , no figure what Tegasc will charge for that

• Registered Users Posts: 26 old deere

set of twins here this morning, No way cow can rear both, What happens if i sell one at about three weeks old ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

old deere wrote: »
    set of twins here this morning, No way cow can rear both, What happens if i sell one at about three weeks old ?

Don't think it changes anything as you only get paid on the basis of calved cows- not number of calves :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

old deere wrote: »

Two sets of twins here earlier this year, sold one of each set at six weeks old. If I get paid in a couple of weeks I'll know if this affected the payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

17 million would go well to the farmers still waiting 97% of basic payment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Any idea when payment is due

valtra2 wrote: »
    Any idea when payment is due
    Is there many like me still waiting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wool521

Is there many like me still waiting ?

Still waiting here too,tried ringing couple of times but just got answering machine and no call back

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

wool521 wrote: »
    Still waiting here too,tried ringing couple of times but just got answering machine and no call back

Same for me; can see some dim dusty room in the Dept with an answering machine on a record erase loop.

barnaman wrote: »
    Same for me; can see some dim dusty room in the Dept with an answering machine on a record erase loop.

I emailed them few weeks back and the said it was coming , so is the summer ffs

Advertisement