Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most costly mistake

• 29-11-2015 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering what was your most costly mistake eg. Getting into pedigrees, deer. Cows or was it a machine you bought or chanced that didnt work out
    Or a venture you tried that left you out of pocket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Irish life and permanent shares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Marriage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Marriage

Haha if she reads that divorce could be the next costliest thing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Marriage
    +1
    For those that don't know me - I'm female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Spending money on actual farming / reclaiming - when I should have bought entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Going farming

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jd06

My neighbour paid 15000 for a foal
    She fell into a percolation hole his son had dug for his new house
    It wasnt fenced off properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

one off farm investment,50k plus down the drain,now that i think of it this thread will do nobody any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

keep going wrote: »
    one off farm investment,50k plus down the drain,now that i think of it this thread will do nobody any good

50k, feck me, im glad I've never had that kinda money hanging around!

Built two new silage pits last yr, and then switched to all bales this yr, changed the feeder as well last yr. Two mighty fcuk ups, even by my own lowly standards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Built two new silage pits last yr, and then switched to all bales this yr, changed the feeder as well last yr. Two mighty fcuk ups, even by my own lowly standards!

Could you roof the pits to use them as sheds instead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

eh which two decisions out of three,i take its the diet feeder and the bales:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

the taxman!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

The man that never made a mistake never made anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

Going into partnership with brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Taking a loan out in 2009 to buy in calf heifers the majority of which died of ragworth posioning- total sickner. Took 5 years to get compensated

Bullocks wrote: »
    Could you roof the pits to use them as sheds instead ?

They're full of bales, stacked 4 high, so I needed a place for them where the effluent could be collected, so not a total waste, but 8 ft proper slopped walls on 3 sides was probably a bit overkill!

whelan2 wrote: »
    Taking a loan out in 2009 to buy in calf heifers the majority of which died of ragworth posioning- total sickner. Took 5 years to get compensated

Who compensated u?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

They're full of bales, stacked 4 high, so I needed a place for them where the effluent could be collected, so not a total waste, but 8 ft proper slopped walls on 3 sides was probably a bit overkill!

Why go all bales?

Who compensated u?
    The lad i bought them from

• Advertisement

The lad i bought them from

Sounds complicated, so we'll say no more

Sounds complicated, so we'll say no more
    Part of the reason I will never buy in stock again, time to move on:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bought 100 hols bull calves first year milking, should have gone the NZ bobby route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

In farming nothing yet thankfully and not long enough at it. In life many things. You learn from them and they are part of life. What doesn't kill ya will only make you stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

quader wrote: »
    Going into partnership with brother

Got out after 19 years. No time for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Strictly speaking it would be putting a lot of off farm earnings into the farm. Would I do it again? Yes, because having the set up makes my life very handy by comparison to before.
    Pumping thousands into an irish lige pension was another serious mistake although I am young enough to hopefully see that turn around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Bought 100 hols bull calves first year milking, should have gone the NZ bobby route!

Did you mean to buy heifers.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Did you mean to buy heifers.
    Ya Feckenham up:-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Buying a rental property before the crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭limo_100

kevthegaff wrote: »

I wouldn't think the bulls would have as much milk as the heifers but they would have a high cell count ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Leaving the immersion on

I said wrote: »
    Leaving the immersion on

U must've left it on a couple of yrs for it to be ur costliest mistake!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Spent 5k on a fiat brava for the wife that literally fell apart after less than a year. Ended up as a very expensive hen house:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Paid €1800 for a young ped Sim bull a few years back. Turned out to be a complete lunatic. Cattle off him were wired. Lost more cattle off him than i sold in last 3 years. Couldnt dream of keeping replacement heifers off him. Lucky to be alive after a few close calls when trying to seperate, handle, test them etc. Have a folder of death certs here that would make sad reading. Stock numbers currently at an all time low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mine has to be one Purebred Limousin heifer I bought just over a year ago. Didn't pay a fortune for her, but she went mad after calving. Tried to kill a relative first, then tried to kill me twice. Second time was a close one. I was in a hole in a ditch looking at another newborn that was stretched out. When I tried to get near it, it got a fright and let out a bawl. I had the quick thinking to leg it out. Just as I got out of the ditch, there she was running down the field at full speed. Fook, just got away from her.

I contacted the Limousin society and they said that 'they really only facilitated the sale and it wasn't a society sale as such'.:rolleyes: The previous owner, a well known breeder, didn't want to know about it it either. Seriously thinking about leaving the society now.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

An expensive ram bought last year which nearly died 3 times and then back legs went, sent to the factory in the summer. Ended up with only 6 lambs after him all rams of which 4 were culled, other 2 are class sheep but kept myself for own commercials rather than sell to anyone to see how they winter. Lesson learnt though for future so maybe not as expensive as feels now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Going out to the mart with a limited budget and a certain number of cattle in my head that I wanted to buy. The result? Buying as my father aptly described, 2 'matchstick' heifers thinking l was going to make cattle out of them. One had enough after 2 weeks and stuck her 4 legs up in the air, the other never thrived all summer and l ended up cutting my losses and selling her for half what I paid for her.

l was better off if l had bought 1 'right one', but there was no talking to me at the time.

A great lesson. Quality not quantity from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭limo_100

Muckit wrote: »
    Going out to the mart with a limited budget and a certain number of cattle in my head that I wanted to buy. The result? Buying as my father aptly described, 2 'matchstick' heifers thinking l was going to make cattle out of them. One had enough after 2 weeks and stuck her 4 legs up in the air, the other never thrived all summer and l ended up cutting my losses and selling her for half what I paid for her.

l was better off if l had bought 1 'right one', but there was no talking to me at the time.

A great lesson. Quality not quantity from now on.

I know your pain :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Over four grand for a Limo bull a few years ago, that I offloaded 9 months later from 1500. C#nt never grew. Loads of stars though, wha wha wha.

most costly mistake so far today was not closing the back window of tractor when taking out blocked slurry pump. Also got glass in my thumb and blood everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

For us it definitely has to be the few yrs we stopped reseeding and spreading lime and p and k and only using the bare minimum nitrogen.
    It really set us back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Missed a year between reps 3 and reps 4. 12k out of pocket for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Bullocks wrote: »
    Haha if she reads that divorce could be the next costliest thing !

Hahaha no fear. Not that It would surprise her. She is well used to me. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Like the farmer up our way who was asked what would he do if he won the lotto.

"I'd buy a bigger farm and I'd farm away for a few years until the money was all gone"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Not doing what I wanted to do and taking advice from so called expert family members. Ended up with no qualification or trade instead of a great trade that I wanted. If I was left alone I would have been better off, although I would have made silly mistakes too, but you imo you have you make some mistakes yourself to learn. I guess my confidence was low as was young and impressionable.
    It's one time I will be passing on to my own kids, do what you want and what makes you happy, and try make a living out of something you love doing and it won't feel like work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Just thought of another one. Employed a builder to put up a 5 bay slatted house back in 95 just after I taking over. Hewas putting up house for £39k. Roof was going up before i copped last bay was shorter than the rest. Whole house was over 4ft short. When i went looking for his drawings all hell broke loose. He blamed lads for cock up. I Withheld money from last payment, then his staff complained they werent paid. They even followed me one Sunday morning to try and get me to pay up. Had a fking match with builder one morning when house was finished. Wouldnt admit house was short even when we pulled out the tape. He said he gave drawings to readymix supplier to work out quantities. I Had even contacted solicitor just in case. In the end i held back 5k and told him to f off.
    Have had issues with the house in recent years with welded plates cracking off rails, doors getting stuck due to rails sinking as they were put on backfilled ground. Concrete aprons around slats cracking and sinking.
    Wouldn't let anyone in since. Put up another slatted house in 97 with the father and some local help. No issues but roof a bit too low in hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

most costly mistake so far today was not closing the back window of tractor when taking out blocked slurry pump. Also got glass in my thumb and blood everywhere

Snap last week

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Not doing what I wanted to do and taking advice from so called expert family members. Ended up with no qualification or trade instead of a great trade that I wanted. If I was left alone I would have been better off, although I would have made silly mistakes too, but you imo you have you make some mistakes yourself to learn. I guess my confidence was low as was young and impressionable.
    It's one time I will be passing on to my own kids, do what you want and what makes you happy, and try make a living out of something you love doing and it won't feel like work.

Now yer talking, looking back the amount of ****e I was told from relatives, teachers etc I am glad I was never one to listen :D Never would I have ended up in the situation I am in where I can't wait to get out working, had I listened I'd be in Dublin studying law or accounting and be pissed off with everything. Find out what ya want to do and go do it, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

Dug a 50 ft slurry tank in 07 to be cross compliant and hit rock after a foot down. Ended up giving near 20000 to the plant hire firm. I should have went across the yard as I dug a 115 ft tank practically beside the other one in September and it was done in 4 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I went to that polska investment fund seminar in 2005 and couldn't believe my eyes seeing people almost falling over themselves wanting to invest in it. The seminar was very shabbily put together but that didn't put investors off, the whole thing went belly up and all the investors were left high and dry. There was a certain rag that also glorified the fund to high heaven at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement