Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Anybody any advice on high milk urea, my last two tests were 50 and 51, cows are only getting half a kg of meal but going into good grass.

Get some starch into them asap. Rolled barley/wheat/maize. You're wasting a lot of protein. How long since fert was spread where they're grazing? Milk yield? Fat and pr%?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Get some starch into them asap. Rolled barley/wheat/maize. You're wasting a lot of protein. How long since fert was spread where they're grazing? Milk yield? Fat and pr%?
    Thanks for the reply,
    fert was spread 11 days ago, 18 litres fat 4.35 protein 3.79, would you recommend upping meal?, the meal is rolled barley,maize distillers, citrus pulp and sugar cane molasses protein is 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Grass is lethal this year for high milk ureas i reckon due to lack of sunshine even though theirs high growth rates nitrogen isn't been used up, last paddock cows went in here returned a milk urea of 40 despite the fact it only got a bag of 10.10.20 3 weeks previously along with 4 kgs of a high maize nut and 3 kgs dm silage in the diet....
    Also hammering protein pulled silage 10 days previous to putting it back in and protein dropped from 3.7 to 3.5 and stayed at 3.5, since going back in with silage pr shot back up to 3.7 after two days in diet, so much for silage hammering protein it's the grass doing the harm this year haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Anybody any advice on high milk urea, my last two tests were 50 and 51, cows are only getting half a kg of meal but going into good grass.

Growth of >100 massive uptake of N into plant. I'd do nothing Urea mid 40's here. No need to micro manage imv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Not anymore. An post have changed it. Went into the main office in town because I got a letter from enfer telling me they had to pay to get my samples released and passed on the charge to me....

From enfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone else's girls not happy in paddocks. Not cleaning out great in covers of circa 1500? They seemed to be doing a better job in higher covers. And this is standing at the gap giving out or waiting as opposed to lying down content and not finishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anyone else's girls not happy in paddocks. Not cleaning out great in covers of circa 1500? They seemed to be doing a better job in higher covers. And this is standing at the gap giving out or waiting as opposed to lying down content and not finishing

Same here. I'm just finished feeling silage so putting it down to that. Cows very solid dung wise.
    Grazing cover of 2400

Yeah no silage here so dunno, this paddock wasnt topped or mown all year so may be that. Alltho they were in a nice cover of 1400 after being topped and I thought they were at the same craic. Trying to work the paddocks so i'll have a few nice covers for the autumn calvers relatively close by. Will keep the two herds separate while outside to give the autumn calvers a good start with less pressure. Not starting till the 14th Oct but last one due the 7th Nov so will be coming fast please gid once they start

Yeah no silage here so dunno, this paddock wasnt topped or mown all year so may be that. Alltho they were in a nice cover of 1400 after being topped and I thought they were at the same craic. Trying to work the paddocks so i'll have a few nice covers for the autumn calvers relatively close by. Will keep the two herds separate while outside to give the autumn calvers a good start with less pressure. Not starting till the 14th Oct but last one due the 7th Nov so will be coming fast please gid once they start

What sort of empty rate had you with such a short bredding season? Were they synced?

My cows were at the same crack. I put them to a new paddock at night and back to the paddock they were on the previous night the next day iykwim. So they are not going back to the same paddock next grazing. Still doing an odd bit of topping

• Advertisement

What sort of empty rate had you with such a short bredding season? Were they synced?
    Not sure as I dropped from calving 40 in autumn to 29 this year so the breeding period isn't as good as it sounds. Should be 31 but one cow got hurt and lost an in calf heifer to tb. 2 heifers out of 14 didn't hold to first service and I just ai'd the cows for 3.5 to 4 weeks. I'd have to go thru them again some of the cows would have been late spring calvers. I chose not to serve some as well. A lot of the first calvers at the time didn't hold to first service so rolled them over if I had gone for 6 or 8 weeks they may well of held at second service.

Not sure as I dropped from calving 40 in autumn to 29 this year so the breeding period isn't as good as it sounds. Should be 31 but one cow got hurt and lost an in calf heifer to tb. 2 heifers out of 14 didn't hold to first service and I just ai'd the cows for 3.5 to 4 weeks. I'd have to go thru them again some of the cows would have been late spring calvers. I chose not to serve some as well. A lot of the first calvers at the time didn't hold to first service so rolled them over if I had gone for 6 or 8 weeks they may well of held at second service.

Autumn calving here too. Breed for 6 weeks. 5 less to calve this year because I let heifers roll into spring herd. Contemplating putting a cidr in all and fix time Ai them to calve mid to late October.
    Know a few at it and get on well up on 80% conception to 1st serve

Autumn calving here too. Breed for 6 weeks. 5 less to calve this year because I let heifers roll into spring herd. Contemplating putting a cidr in all and fix time Ai them to calve mid to late October.
    Know a few at it and get on well up on 80% conception to 1st serve
    Fix time cows as well? I find heifers do well inside as the consistency of diet once they are the right weight males 80 to 90% conception to first service achievable. Never get near that in spring, probably more down to me than the heifers tho

Fix time cows as well? I find heifers do well inside as the consistency of diet once they are the right weight males 80 to 90% conception to first service achievable. Never get near that in spring, probably more down to me than the heifers tho

Yeah fix time. Local man does his 90 cows 1st may every year.

Ai tech hates him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

For better or worse I didn't use one coil or estrumate injection this year to try bring around any cow. Instead I just accepted a nice long breeding season (which has only just finished ha), and all the late calvers will fill the winter bonuses.

Timmaay wrote: »
    For better or worse I didn't use one coil or estrumate injection this year to try bring around any cow. Instead I just accepted a nice long breeding season (which has only just finished ha), and all the late calvers will fill the winter bonuses.
    I didnt use any either and no pre scanning, 3 cows not in calf and no May calvers next year either:)

Spring fert was poor here anyway. Haven't scanned yet but the vasectomied bull is happy enough with himself all the time the fcuker. Poor start with weather but still the numbers repeating are annoying.

It's 9.30 pm and I'm moving cows to new paddock. Weren't finished coming in this pm for milking. Were all back in there since 5.30 pm. Well grazed now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It's 9.30 pm and I'm moving cows to new paddock. Weren't finished coming in this pm for milking. Were all back in there since 5.30 pm. Well grazed now :)

Just dos something simillar at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I think we have a little rumen fluke in herd .any one else have a problem .to dose with zanil , is it possible to stagger dose over a few days and still supply ??.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

anyone at the lisduff sale in cork last year, just wondering how were the spring calving heifers money wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

leg wax wrote: »
    anyone at the lisduff sale in cork last year, just wondering how were the spring calving heifers money wise.

You have only 2 weeks to wait for the next one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

farmertipp wrote: »
    You have only 2 weeks to wait for the next one
    I think that's why he's asking the question now?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I think that's why he's asking the question now?:)
    Maybe ☺

They travel for lisduff stock legs. When we sold the old herd here there were a few sashas on the catalogue. They ended up local but the lads had their work cut out to get these animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They travel for lisduff stock legs. When we sold the old herd here there were a few sashas on the catalogue. They ended up local but the lads had their work cut out to get these animals.

Unbelievable stock, half the cows in the herd here are of a farm that solely used stock bulls bought from lisduff down through the years , a good proportion of the second calvers here from this herd are on course to do 7500 litres plus at 3.6pr/4.0 bf.....

so will 1450 /1550 buy the jan calvers?

Going on other years no ,seriously good breeding in that herd

I would reckon not. Pedigree stock with a name that lisduff has will probably go for 2000+

But I could be wrong. Others more in the know will know better than me.

Friend bought lovely incalf nz friesans heifers for 1100

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Going on other years no ,seriously good breeding in that herd

so other years they made what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some trends in NZ fertility management and areas to focus on.

http://www.lic.co.nz/lic_Latest_industry_performance_trends_and_their_implications.cfm

Twenty years ago myself and my sister paid £2700 for the choice of three embryos once they were on the ground.

legs bows his head in frustration ,and tries not to hit close account button, i dont give a **** about eggs 20 years ago or here say........ just forget it ,thanks everyone.

legs bows his head in frustration ,and tries not to hit close account button, i dont give a **** about eggs 20 years ago or here say........ just forget it ,thanks everyone.

I would say you would have little change out of 2000 for the ordinary lots. Put it another way if you were budgeting 1500/jd you'll be doing ok to get two for your budget for three iykwim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭visatorro

Highly bred hi yielding cows going north for 2500ish, fresh calved. If that's any use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

visatorro wrote: »
    Highly bred hi yielding cows going north for 2500ish, fresh calved. If that's any use.

Strong price....wonder if sentiment is improving all round..

Will be going to market with our R2's at end of this month.....so far from what I can see good grass stock have been moving for around 1250...

But good to see stuff moving

Could you ring the auctioneer and ask what they made last year or a guide price for this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

whelan2 wrote: »
    Could you ring the auctioneer and ask what they made last year or a guide price for this year?

Sure you might ask them for a price for eggs twenty years ago. While ya have him on the phone like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Legs...
    Top French bred from 12k+ litre dams are making €950-1000 calved (first calvers). €1150 in calf.
    2nd lactation in calf cows €950.

mf240 wrote: »
    Sure you might ask them for a price for eggs twenty years ago. While ya have him on the phone like?

Free range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭visatorro

alps wrote: »
    Strong price....wonder if sentiment is improving all round..

Will be going to market with our R2's at end of this month.....so far from what I can see good grass stock have been moving for around 1250...

But good to see stuff moving

Money doesn't bother the boys in the north.

Dawggone wrote: »

Legs...
    Top French bred from 12k+ litre dams are making 950-1000 calved (first calvers). 1150 in calf.
    2nd lactation in calf cows 950.
    Bluetongue much of an issue over there dawg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Bluetongue much of an issue over there dawg?

Not sure. I've been picked as a monitor farm for my sins...only two in the county.
    We have to blood everything under 4yrs old once a month. Been doing this since July. Clear so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

whelan2 wrote: »
    Free range

Some yokes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CowMeister

Doing a cubicle shed here at the moment. Any scrapers ye recommend and what I should stay clear of. Cheers

1800 /2 k plus and often plus plus .top quality stock with milk ,solids and style if I was buying stock would be my first stop

CowMeister wrote: »
    Doing a cubicle shed here at the moment. Any scrapers ye recommend and what I should stay clear of. Cheers
    Have dairymaster ones here with years, 20+, no bother with them bar age related stuff. We put in one new track back in 09' and haven't needed to go near it since. They are pricey tho so bargain hard with em. Neighbour has dairypower think hes happy enough with them. Both track type

Have dairymaster ones here with years, 20+, no bother with them bar age related stuff. We put in one new track back in 09' and haven't needed to go near it since. They are pricey tho so bargain hard with em. Neighbour has dairypower think hes happy enough with them. Both track type

Have dairypower here, very happy with them. Repair man doesnt live too far away either if there is a problem

Have Alfco and Dairypower here no problems. Have Pearson also, complete ball of shyte

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement