Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bass machine head replacement

Options
  • 17-03-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a fender style jazz bass and I am looking to replace the machine heads from the vintage style stock ones that came with the bass to the smaller ones with a flat tuning head on it.

Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't do it? For me it is just for the look more than anything else. I have basses with both types of machine heads and prefer the smaller ones.

Any thoughts?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I can't see any real problems with doing this but if it's purely aesthetic I wouldn't bother personally.

Just couple of points to keep in mind.

Ideally the mounting fixtures line up (screw holes), you may want to fill these when fixing the news ones too so the machine head isn't loose.

Look at the gear ration of whatever machine heads you're replacing them with, higher gear ratio means more turns to tighten/loosen which gives finer control of tuning.

I got a set of machine heads for a guitar years ago and the didn't sit well together due to the spacing on the head stock, you shouldn't have an issue but be aware of it.

Don't go for cheapy machines heads, they'll break your heart

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

thanks for the advice Keith. I am replacing the bridge and controls to get rid of the chrome so I think the machine heads need to be black too.
    Point taken about the ratio and the cheapness!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

If you don't mind screw holes being left, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

No bother at all, let us know how it goes!

Advertisement