Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Andrews ( chief designer of the titanic)

Options
  • 01-05-2021 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

I was having a discussion with my father who said his mother said she was a cousin of the above gentleman. His mother’s mother is an Andrews (Andrews Family of Dublin) they were notable at the time, such as for business (pawn brokering)and music etc! She married a ship’s captain etc! From what I have read going back for the life of me I cannot see a connection from what I have read. Now I think my grandmother maybe wrong. Looking at the picture of him (the apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree) let’s say there is an family resemblance. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

No easy way around this. You research your family, you research his family and see if there's a connection. If you find living descendants, you could possibly see if your DNA matches.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

pinkypinky wrote: »
    No easy way around this. You research your family, you research his family and see if there's a connection. If you find living descendants, you could possibly see if your DNA matches.

Exactly.
    You have to learn to distinguish between folklore, hearsay, "he said, she said", and hard evidence.
    A lot of the former have grains of truth, but should only be used as a signpost to guide real research. It doesn't come easy, but whether you find what you expected, or not, you will find lots of amazing things about your family that you never expected.
    Done properly it can be very rewarding.

Advertisement