Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The brilliant 'Alive in Limerick' - 2010 Archive

Options
  • 15-04-2021 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Just happened upon this while looking for something related - For anyone unfamiliar with Alive in Limerick it was a blog written by an unknown author for a while who eventually disappeared/ceased - I don't think their identity was ever made known.

The Author wrote concise and insightful articles about Limericks criminal underclass which were always of a very high standard - Interesting, engaging, witty and at times unforgettable.

What always stood out for me was if they were discussing a particular Criminal they would usually mention their past criminal history - Basically building up a character profile and cross-referencing all of their career highlights to-date. I don't know why the newspapers will never bother do this, preferring instead to give a name, bare outline of the offence and finish by saying they have 37 previous convictions. Perhaps our news media is just permanently afraid of being sued and so just writes dull, uninformative articles leaving out all of the past and barely describing the present - ie barely managing to half describe what the person has actually done this time.

For these people you don't get any sense of what they're about by reading a few lines in a mainstream news article - The whole picture truly emerges when you read about their last 10-12 assaults, thefts, threats, break-ins, muggings, drug deals, the time they broke a Gardas jaw in the interrogation room etc.

Anyway - The below is an example of how it should be done - And it should probably be on school curricula.

http://aliveinlimerick2.blogspot.com/2010/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's a great Social Media & Blogging forum here on boards that go through some of the best ways of getting blogs done right. Personally I used to love the "blogging culture" and I used to subscribe to a few, the increase in Podcasts and other social media platforms seems to have have a massive impact on that scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Clareman wrote: »
    Personally I used to love the "blogging culture" and I used to subscribe to a few, the increase in Podcasts and other social media platforms seems to have have a massive impact on that scene.
    Anyone know what became of Bock the Robber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭adaminho

The_Dave wrote: »
    Anyone know what became of Bock the Robber?

https://twitter.com/BocktheRobber

Advertisement