Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Move to Village/Town in Co. Limerick

• 14-04-2021 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi lovely folks, I'm interested in moving to a town/village outside of Limerick city and so far I was thinking of areas like Castleconnell, Caherconlish, Murroe or Bruff.

I need somewhere that's a reasonable distance/commute to the city (not more than 30/40 mins) with public transport options. I've got SKY TV & Broadband where I live now and ideally I'd like to keep them, but I don't know if they're available in any of those areas above?

Most importantly I'm looking for a safe/quiet village or town that is friendly or has a nice community spirit and basic amenities would be great.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,051 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hi lovely folks, I'm interested in moving to a town/village outside of Limerick city and so far I was thinking of areas like Castleconnell, Caherconlish, Murroe or Bruff.

I need somewhere that's a reasonable distance/commute to the city (not more than 30/40 mins) with public transport options. I've got SKY TV & Broadband where I live now and ideally I'd like to keep them, but I don't know if they're available in any of those areas above?

Most importantly I'm looking for a safe/quiet village or town that is friendly or has a nice community spirit and basic amenities would be great.

Many thanks!

Public transport is shocking in Limerick for commuting even some of the biggest towns in the county don't have buses at commuter times so do a good check of bus times first.
    Castleconnell would be the big standout there with the train station.

Also don't forget to look at Clare which takes up the whole northern border of the city. But again beware the crap buses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

Cappamore is a lovely village, full of great people. I lived there for 10 years and would wholeheartedly recommend it...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Girl_Next_Door

Thanks Breezy, I thought that alright. It's more for a family member who'll be with me who doesn't drive and if they wanted to go into the city sometimes, but in fairness I wouldn't mind it as an option for myself too, but I know what you mean, there's a shocking lack of public transport down the country alright.

Cappamore is a lovely village, full of great people. I lived there for 10 years and would wholeheartedly recommend it...

Thanks, that's great to know because I hadn't really considered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Clarina is a nice, 20 mins to city centre, probably not a village as such tho...

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Public transport is shocking in Limerick for commuting even some of the biggest towns in the county don't have buses at commuter times so do a good check of bus times first.
    Castleconnell would be the big standout there with the train station.

Also don't forget to look at Clare which takes up the whole northern border of the city. But again beware the crap buses

Yeah I used to think about Killaloe, but then thought maybe it was too far outside the city, and the house prices seemed steep enough.

LMK wrote: »
    Clarina is a nice, 20 mins to city centre, probably not a village as such tho...

Thanks, that's not somewhere I'd thought of, I must look it up. I think there's a few nice places around the city of Limerick in the suburbs, but I suppose I'm more hoping for a place that's a village/rural feel.

Yeah I used to think about Killaloe, but then thought maybe it was too far outside the city, and the house prices seemed steep enough.

Killaloe would be quite up market in fairness. Six mile bridge might be the same but it's a nice spot too on the Clare side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭phog

Many thanks!

Despite a sop every now and then from the Greens they really don't want you/us living in villages or non urban areas - if given the opportunity they're going to try tax us to move to high density urban areas.

That being said of the 4 areas you've mentioned I'd go with Castleconnell ot Murroe. O'Briensbridge or Bridgetown might be an option on the Clare side.

Personally. I'd stay clear of Sixmilebridge but it has a great GAA community and a span new primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The Clonlara/Ardnacrusha area is fabulous

real rural feel but only 10K from the city. Public transport isnt woeful either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to say that I find it amusing that when someone comes to the Limerick forum asking for a recommendation of somewhere to live in county Limerick that people are recommending places in Clare :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Ha? I'm not trying to be odd here but Clarina is a crossroads with a set of poorly configured traffic lights, a petrol station, a litany of stunning planning permission gaffes and a (need to be vague here) business premises where my neighbour says she saw a fist fight break out one fine afternoon - between the staff.

Castleconnell is probably the best of what's been mentioned so far OP - No clue about Cappamore.
    Clareman wrote: »
    I have to say that I find it amusing that when someone comes to the Limerick forum asking for a recommendation of somewhere to live in county Limerick that people are recommending places in Clare :pac::pac::pac:

I get the point you're making.....But still, with the shape of the County and placement of Limerick City within it, combined with our crap road network, parts of County Limerick are made seem even more remote.

For example if you were in Limerick City Centre you could probably drive or get public transport to Lahinch quicker than you'd make it out to Galbally !

We are talking about Limerick city where a lot of Clare villages make more sense than about 50% of the Limerick ones. Personally I would have way more experience with Clare villages.

I've been out to Caherconlish a few times and quite liked it got some buses running through it. I think Patrickswell is fine too but I know some people give it a bit of stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

We're helpful like that, even allow for our banner cousins to use our hospitals etc.:P I wonder how many who have lived in those areas all their lives were born in Limerick:cool:

ah now lads I didn't mean to start an argument between Clare Vs Limerick : ))) But I understand what ye mean about the roads/public transport around the villages etc., just to add more fuel to the fire I'd like to mention I really like Kilkee even though some people seem to slag it off (not to live now, just for weekend/holidays) anyway it seems Castleconnell is a popular choice but I remember now one of the things that bothered me a bit before about Castleconnell was the flooding? but maybe they were able to get that sorted out or does it depend where you'd be living there, would anyone know if there's particular parts to avoid in Castleconnell?

Where are you moving from. Might help working out what you expect from a town or village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Annacotty?

Where are you moving from. Might help working out what you expect from a town or village

I'm in Co. Kildare and it's well serviced with the roads/transport etc. and I've some family in Co. Limerick, but they can be biased! that's why I'm trying to figure things out myself, and of course to ask around and I thought getting opinions of strangers might be a good idea because they won't care one way or another :)

osarusan wrote: »
    Annacotty?

Yeah Annacotty looks nice alright but then I was thinking is it not too close to the city and the students?? When I looked online it seems as if there was a fair bit of anti-social stuff happening? Maybe that's not the actual case though and is only being exaggerated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

There's feck all in Caherconlish or Ballyneety imho, but on the other hand. they're 10-15 minutes drive to the city.

If your relative needs decent bus options, I'd consider something by the Limerick-Adare bus route for more regular services. Otherwise they're confined to a morning bus and an evening bus home, and relying on lifts/taxis for anything later than that.

• Advertisement

There's feck all in Caherconlish or Ballyneety imho, but on the other hand. they're 10-15 minutes drive to the city.

If your relative needs decent bus options, I'd consider something by the Limerick-Adare bus route for more regular services. Otherwise they're confined to a morning bus and an evening bus home, and relying on lifts/taxis for anything later than that.

Thanks, when you say there's feck all in Caherconlish do you mean there's nothing much to do? I have to say that kind of closeness to the city is a big bonus though! :pac: and I thought it looked like there were a few pubs / restaurant there so I wouldn't have to be going into the city all of the time if I fancied a drink?

My homeplace is a few miles away so I know it pretty well. There is a chipper, and a bistro. Not sure about the pubs - there were about 4 but I have no idea if all or some are still trading, as I haven't been down home since August.
    I could well be biased, but Caherconlish was a wee bit rough when I was growing up, so it wouldn't even occur to us to go for a pint there. But there is a school, a community centre, and GAA. I think things have improved with the new centre, to be fair. But I wouldn't move there if I were a single lady for example, you'd just be driving into Limerick for most of your social needs.
    Cappamore is livelier at night - all the pubs are clustered together and the locals are friendly. I find Caherconlish a bit dead in comparison.

Yeah Annacotty looks nice alright but then I was thinking is it not too close to the city and the students?? When I looked online it seems as if there was a fair bit of anti-social stuff happening? Maybe that's not the actual case though and is only being exaggerated?

I could be wrong but I would say Annacotty would feel more like a suburb these days. Good thing about being that side of town is it's the best side for cafes and restaurants without going into the centre.

A lot of Limerick suburbs and commuter villages offer little or nothing outside of houses and a GAA team

If I had to move back home, I'd consider Annacotty. It is near the river and UL. There are a few supermarkets & business parks nearby. You're also on the city bus network too, so if you're used to decent transport in Kildare, then it won't be quite a culture shock.

If I had to move back home, I'd consider Annacotty. It is near the river and UL. There are a few supermarkets & business parks nearby. You're also on the city bus network too, so if you're used to decent transport in Kildare, then it won't be quite a culture shock.

Thanks, I suppose I have an idea in my head of nice country village but in reality theres a lot to be said for amenities/transport etc.....this thread has definitely given me a lot more to think about! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭porker36

would Newport be an option? about ten minute drive from Castletroy, good bus links into town, in tipperary but again close enough to limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Castleconnell is superbly located with plenty of amenities. A pretty village that is on the upward curve. Also a rail service and very close to the city. I have no ties to it but rate it highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Glenomra wrote: »
    Castleconnell is superbly located with plenty of amenities. A pretty village that is on the upward curve. Also a rail service and very close to the city. I have no ties to it but rate it highly.

Pretty except for that awful Piss poor rail service.

Any rail service is an amazing service in Limerick. It has trains that arrive before 9am and leave after 6pm which is amazing compared to most buses in county Limerick which only run a 10am and 4pm service for the granny's to shop and are useless to commute with.

Actually is it the only Limerick town with a train ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Any rail service is an amazing service in Limerick. It has trains that arrive before 9am and leave after 6pm which is amazing compared to most buses in county Limerick which only run a 10am and 4pm service for the granny's to shop and are useless to commute with.

Yep! The county of Limerick only has two train stations

porker36 wrote: »
    would Newport be an option? about ten minute drive from Castletroy, good bus links into town, in tipperary but again close enough to limerick

I'll admit I don't know of Newport at all, I suppose I'd prefer to be in Limerick because of family connections, but thanks for suggestion, I'll look it up.

Glenomra wrote: »

Yeah Castleconnell seems to be getting recommended a good bit, I think its somewhere I'd definitely like to check out. Thanks.

Why'd you think that, is it unreliable or something?

Yeah thats true, and sure any place with a train service has to be a bonus!

Yeah Castleconnell seems to be getting recommended a good bit, I think its somewhere I'd definitely like to check out. Thanks.

Got a lovely river side walk and if your into it some nice roads for cycling

• Advertisement

Got a lovely river side walk and if your into it some nice roads for cycling

Definitely that sounds great, somewhere closeby for walks or cycles would be ideal! I think I asked this already, but do you know is there any probs with flooding because of the river? I think I saw something on the news, maybe around the time of some big storm (it could be storm Ellen but I might be wrong!)

Definitely that sounds great, somewhere closeby for walks or cycles would be ideal! I think I asked this already, but do you know is there any probs with flooding because of the river? I think I saw something on the news, maybe around the time of some big storm (it could be storm Ellen but I might be wrong!)

Not sure but Limerick in general comes out of these things relatively unscathed. We have a boringly predictable grey climate here. I bet you think all of Ireland is the same but just you wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

Pretty terrible for air travel too.
    I mean, what the actual fock?!!!

Not sure but Limerick in general comes out of these things relatively unscathed. We have a boringly predictable grey climate here. I bet you think all of Ireland is the same but just you wait and see

Oh god I forgot about the rain!! : ( But when I was a child and used to spend my Summer hols down there, my memories are of sun-filled days!!? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Castleconnell is lovely and really does have a nice village feel to it. Plus it’s close to the motorway so great for commuting.

Killaloe is a gorgeous place to live but very expensive. Similarly adare is a beautiful village but pricy to buy in.

Clonlara is really nice too, as is Newport and both are close to the city centre. Parteen is a smaller village but lovely and very close to the city, well serviced by busses too.

I wouldn’t really consider Annacotty a village anymore as it’s been swallowed up by the suburb sprawl.
    Don’t know Murroe too well but it’s definitely had it’s fair share of anti social issues since a few new estates were built there about 20 years ago and a lot of people moved out from town. May have improved in the last 5-10 years though.

Personally, if I could live in any village within commutable distance to limerick is would be Ballina/Killaloe or Adare. But obviously I’m not alone in that which is why they are so expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

Oh god I forgot about the rain!! : ( But when I was a child and used to spend my Summer hols down there, my memories are of sun-filled days!!? Lol

Did you not see Angela's Ashes? It rained for the whole movie! :pac::pac::pac:

shreko wrote: »
    Castleconnell is lovely and really does have a nice village feel to it. Plus it’s close to the motorway so great for commuting.

Killaloe is a gorgeous place to live but very expensive. Similarly adare is a beautiful village but pricy to buy in.

Clonlara is really nice too, as is Newport and both are close to the city centre. Parteen is a smaller village but lovely and very close to the city, well serviced by busses too.

I wouldn’t really consider Annacotty a village anymore as it’s been swallowed up by the suburb sprawl.
    Don’t know Murroe too well but it’s definitely had it’s fair share of anti social issues since a few new estates were built there about 20 years ago and a lot of people moved out from town. May have improved in the last 5-10 years though.

Personally, if I could live in any village within commutable distance to limerick is would be Ballina/Killaloe or Adare. But obviously I’m not alone in that which is why they are so expensive!

Agreed! Adare is definitely a lovely village, although traffic can be bit offputting but I'm guessing surely that bypass must be closer to getting done, especially if they're going to host Ryder Cup? But as you say its definitely very pricey. I was in Killaloe yearrrrs ago, again I thought it was lovely but if I was socialising late in the city a taxi back to Killaloe would prob cost a good bit.

adaminho wrote: »

Lol poor aul Angelas Ashes should have been banned!! : ))

All jokes aside, where about's would you need to travel to in the county? Abbeyfeale is about a 45 min drive to the city (depending on Adare traffic) and links to the motorway. It has a great bus service too as both Bus Eireann and The Green bus pass through every hour with a direct route as far as Dublin.

All jokes aside, where about's would you need to travel to in the county? Abbeyfeale is about a 45 min drive to the city (depending on Adare traffic) and links to the motorway. It has a great bus service too as both Bus Eireann and The Green bus pass through every hour with a direct route as far as Dublin.

Yeah I'd need to travel into the city centre, someone else mentioned the bus routes are much better out that direction alright, but just personally I'd feel Abbeyfeale would be too far out, another thing would be I live in a large town and ideally I'd like a change and I think Abbeyfeale is the largest town in Limerick or maybe its Newcastlewest??

Yeah I'd need to travel into the city centre, someone else mentioned the bus routes are much better out that direction alright, but just personally I'd feel Abbeyfeale would be too far out, another thing would be I live in a large town and ideally I'd like a change and I think Abbeyfeale is the largest town in Limerick or maybe its Newcastlewest??

NCW would be larger but Abbeyfeale is more a medium size town than a Village. Nice community there though. Maybe look at the likes of Glin or Foynes instead as I think they have a fairly regular Bus service?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

We moved to Caherconlish as we got a lot more bang for our buck in terms of house versus our preference for Castletroy/Monaleen/Annacotty. But we both drive so that makes it easy. I would certainly recommend it for families with young kids. In our estate it is like a throwback to my childhood in the 80s with my 6 and 10 years old having great freedom. When the weather is nice we only see them for refuelling and bathroom.

It is like everywhere I have been in Ireland there are some issues but we feel very safe.

The local Centra has everything you could need at short notice. Stone Oven bistro does great breakfast and pizza. The butcher has awesome local beef. There is lots going on at the Millennium Centre - classes etc. We are not church going but a lot still are. There is a tennis club, soccer club, GAA plus equestrian centre.

I work full time from home and our broadband is decent.

There are nice looped walks from the village from 3km upwards, they are on country roads but lots of people walk so very safe.

It works for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Just on flooding, there are some areas immediately north of the city that are technically in Clare that flood pretty badly in recent times such as Shannon Banks, clonlara and parteen, I'd stay clear of these 3 places for those reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Very very small areas flood in those areas and defences are being put in place. 6 houses flood regularly in Clonlara. Clonlara is a walk from Castleconnell across the footbridge aswell which is great. It's 5 to 10 mins from town..closer than castleconnell. I wouldnt go further out than Sixmilebridge which is a fine big village. Its got a good rail link with Limerick city centre and good train times and a bus service. It's not cheap anymore though.
    Caherconlish well its not really a village and traditionally had a bad reputation. I did have a friend that moved out there into a new estate and had terrible neighbours many of whom didn't seem to work. Coonagh is lovely but expensive. For me the real value in Limerick is the city centre Georgian core. Thats where there's bargains.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Caherconlish has a bus stop direct into Limerick. Gaa club, soccer club, tennis club, Ballyneety golf club is 10 mins away, Equestrian centre and a hall in the Millennium Centre. Loads of classes in millennium centre too.
    Centra with petrol station open 7am till 10pm plus another shop on High Street. Theres also a butchers. Stoneoven (eat in or out), Village Diner and Mulcahys to eat in plus a Chinese and Chipper take away. 3 pubs. 2 hair dressers and a barbers. A veterinary clinic.
    Primary school, church, credit union, pharmacy, Garda Station and post office.
    Quiet roads around the area for walks and cycles. 15 mins drive to Lough Gur.
    Less than 10 mins from b&q Retail Park 15 mins to city centre. 15 mins to bruff which has a Bank of Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement