Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International travel for a wedding - Essential Travel?

Options
  • 27-03-2021 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Guys -

I bought a ticket back to my home country (which is currently not on the restricted list) a few months back to attend a wedding of my family member in my home country. I'm flying through Qatar Airways so I have a lay over in Doha Airport.

I have a couple of questions and I couldn't find much info on the internet or it was just very confusing.

1. I think travelling for weddings is under essential travel? so can I expect the Guards at the airport accept this and what evidence do i need to provide them for this?

2. Secondly, I'm travelling to my home country (i.e. I work in Ireland but I'm still a national of my home country) so I don't know if that makes any difference? it's not like I'm not going on a holiday, this is a trip which was planned 6 months in advance so again not sure if this makes any difference at all.

3. Lastly, neither my home country or Qatar are currently on the restricted list so I assume for now I don't need hotel quarantine? Obviously things might change closer to my travel date but as of now I believe I don't have any requirement for Hotel Quarantine?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

I suggest OP you request to shut this thread down. I foresee a rather negative reaction from the masses which will do nothing for your sanity or your knowledge. The rules are as stated above - up to you to decide how they apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

benneca1 wrote: »
    I suggest OP you request to shut this thread down. I foresee a rather negative reaction from the masses which will do nothing for your sanity or your knowledge. The rules are as stated above - up to you to decide how they apply.

Whats wrong with asking a question to get clarity on something?

I thought wedding was deemed essential travel under Level 5? See here https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/754c1-stakeholder-guidance-regarding-level-5-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There's a difference between what's permitted and what's deemed an essential journey. Domestic weddings are permitted, but travelling to an overseas wedding would not be seen as an essential trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

And it says:

A Garda may accept other reasonable excuses that are not on this list. You should have evidence of the reasons for your travel

So essentially is it just completely up to the mood of the guard on that day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Hi Guys -

I bought a ticket back to my home country (which is currently not on the restricted list) a few months back to attend a wedding of my family member in my home country. I'm flying through Qatar Airways so I have a lay over in Doha Airport.

I have a couple of questions and I couldn't find much info on the internet or it was just very confusing.

1. I think travelling for weddings is under essential travel? so can I expect the Guards at the airport accept this and what evidence do i need to provide them for this?

2. Secondly, I'm travelling to my home country (i.e. I work in Ireland but I'm still a national of my home country) so I don't know if that makes any difference? it's not like I'm not going on a holiday, this is a trip which was planned 6 months in advance so again not sure if this makes any difference at all.

3. Lastly, neither my home country or Qatar are currently on the restricted list so I assume for now I don't need hotel quarantine? Obviously things might change closer to my travel date but as of now I believe I don't have any requirement for Hotel Quarantine?

Thanks

if you have someone in ur home country who can sort this you could arrange one of the following

To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment
    To care for a family member or for other vital family reasons
    To go to a funeral

id go for care of family member get doctor in homeland to email u letter saying your mum dying alone etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrsmac2599

What is the procedure at Dublin Airport. My parents carer has left suddenly, they are elderly and in Spain and tbh
    really need day to day help in tasks they're finding increasingly difficult. Shopping, helping mum in and out of apartment, taking bins out, home help is what they need.

My son and his cousin are the only available family members that can get there quickly, of course 1 will not go on his own, but they will go together and have agreed to move in with them for the foreseeable, at least until September. I've a letter and e mail from parents confirming same, proof of address and they'll have pcr tests. One way tickets as they intend to live there as long as possible. We are worried they will be turned away at airport as my folks do need assistance. Anyone have any advice, much appreciated- I've tried contacting numerous officials, no one has answered!

Mrsmac2599 wrote: »
    What is the procedure at Dublin Airport. My parents carer has left suddenly, they are elderly and in Spain and tbh
    really need day to day help in tasks they're finding increasingly difficult. Shopping, helping mum in and out of apartment, taking bins out, home help is what they need.

My son and his cousin are the only available family members that can get there quickly, of course 1 will not go on his own, but they will go together and have agreed to move in with them for the foreseeable, at least until September. I've a letter and e mail from parents confirming same, proof of address and they'll have pcr tests. One way tickets as they intend to live there as long as possible. We are worried they will be turned away at airport as my folks do need assistance. Anyone have any advice, much appreciated- I've tried contacting numerous officials, no one has answered!

That is viewed as a valid reason to travel, so they can go.
    Who can travel abroad?
    You should only travel abroad if it is essential to do so. The following are ”reasonable excuses” for travelling to a port or airport for the purposes of travelling abroad as set out in the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) COVID-19) (No 10)(Amendment)(No 2) Regulations 2021:

To go to college or school if you have to be there in person
    To go with a child or a vulnerable adult to school if they have to be there in person
    To work or travel related to your business
    To go to a medical or dental appointment, or to go to an appointment with someone you live with, or a vulnerable person
    To seek essential medical, health or dental services, or to accompany someone you live with, or a vulnerable person who needs essential treatment
    To care for a family member or for other vital family reasons
    To go to a funeral
    To meet a legal obligation (for example, to appear in court)
    To give access to a child to the other parent of the child, or to access a child that you have a right of access to
    To leave Ireland if you are not resident in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrsmac2599

Dobbytoes wrote: »

Thanks- I'm more worried we don't have official form from doctors etc as they really do need help but not full time care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Just go and dont ask the opinion , you'll get the FFG and NPHET trolls who populate forums like this and will shoot you down immediatyely, go and enjoy the wedding and take the necessary precautions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Dobbytoes wrote: »

Until you into the wrong Garda at the airport (there are a few topics on Boards.ie already).

Advertisement