Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dentist and Hygienist Recommendation?

• 24-03-2021 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭

After getting messed around lately by my current dentist I'm looking to move to somewhere new.
    Ideally looking for somewhere in the city or at least close to the city and if they did early mornings or evening appointments that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Skuxx wrote: »
    After getting messed around lately by my current dentist I'm looking to move to somewhere new.
    Ideally looking for somewhere in the city or at least close to the city and if they did early mornings or evening appointments that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I've being going to Smiles Dental in town for years, top class service with appointments that suit and an easy to use online booking system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Alexandra Dental in O'Connell Avenue are wonderful. The staff are always very pleasant and helpful and the dentists are really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Thanks guys, going to give Smiles a try, the location is good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

I find Shields on the South Circular Road very good. Getting a good bit of work done and am very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Marty1983 wrote: »
    I find Shields on the South Circular Road very good. Getting a good bit of work done and am very happy.

Shop around. These guys are charging astronomical prices.

I was quoted €340 for two fillings. I got a 2nd and 3rd opinion from other dentists in the area, both quoted €180. When asked what I had been quoted initially both dentists knew that I had been to Shields.

I was also charged €43 for scale and polish (€85 normally) using my PRSI at Shields. The same procedure can be done at basically any other dentist in town for €15 or €20. They also asked me to come back in a few weeks after the scale and polish for more cleaning. The dentists I went to for a 2nd or 3rd opinion both confirmed that my teeth required no additional cleaning.

I would have paid €340 for two fillings plus €85 for a scale and polish (that two dentists confirmed I did not require). I can get exactly the same work done elsewhere for €180 with a saving of €245.

This is a minor procedure, if you are getting a lot of work done you will definitely make huge savings going elsewhere.

• Advertisement

I was also charged €43 for scale and polish (€85 normally) using my PRSI at Shields. The same procedure can be done at basically any other dentist in town for €15 or €20. They also asked me to come back in a few weeks after the scale and polish for more cleaning. The dentists I went to for a 2nd or 3rd opinion both confirmed that my teeth required no additional cleaning.

Im pretty sure if you are getting a scale and polish with your PRSI the extra you can be asked to pay is supposed to be capped at €15.... Or I am understanding it wrong?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/treatment_benefit_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Im pretty sure if you are getting a scale and polish with your PRSI the extra you can be asked to pay is supposed to be capped at €15.... Or I am understanding it wrong?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/treatment_benefit_scheme.html

I asked this very question at Shields and they advised that they find €43 with PRIS is excellent value for money.

The 2nd dentist quoted €20 with PRSI and the 3rd quoted €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭HotMama89

Would highly recommend Jacqueline Foley across from South's Bar. I have never been charged anything additional for cleaning under PRSI. Fillings also very reasonably priced (70 - 90 euro) never recommends work either unless it absolutely needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I go the John Hennessy, he works in the same practice as the above mentioned Jacqueline Foley, again no extra charge on top of prsi for cleaning, and he will never recommend unnecessary work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Shields in both their locations have a lovely setup in fairness to them.
    But by fúck do you pay for the privilege in comparison to other practices!
    And then there's the constant upsell, bruxus and TMJ are their very favourite things.
    You "need" a sleepguard or a jig...

• Advertisement

Alexandra have their charges on their website https://www.alexandradental.ie/limerick/fees/

Perhaps a little more expensive than others. But I find them excellent.

Bicyclette wrote: »
    Alexandra have their charges on their website https://www.alexandradental.ie/limerick/fees/

Perhaps a little more expensive than others. But I find them excellent.

I see quite a few "influencers" on Instagram continually marketing Alexandra for teeth whitening, invisible braces and cosmetic work and if I'm honest it turns me off even considering going there!

I could be wrong but it gives me the impression that that's their target market and if I go there I'll be told I "need" all this cosmetic work too!!

Just my 2 cents!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I see quite a few "influencers" on Instagram continually marketing Alexandra for teeth whitening, invisible braces and cosmetic work and if I'm honest it turns me off even considering going there!

I could be wrong but it gives me the impression that that's their target market and if I go there I'll be told I "need" all this cosmetic work too!!

Just my 2 cents!!
    Most dental practices have hygienists working with them, usually on a part time basis. So, the dentist, after doing your filling or whatever will invariably say "they could do with a little bit of a cleaning", when, in fact, they could not. This is what my fellah does. I always politely decline. It's a few bob for the colleague. The dentist could do the cleaning himself in a couple of minutes using the electric brushes they have.

Just my 2 cents!!

I get where you are coming from :D

But we have used them for orthodontic work and general work and will be using them for an implant later this year and we are very happy with them. The have a hygienist who has experience of working with people who have disabilities. She is fabulous with my autistic son who would normally be nervous. Similarly with the orthodontist and general dentist who are so kind to him. He doesn't mind going to the dentist these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anna1989

I used to be a patient at one of the chains being recommended here, but was also messed around :/ they told me to get treatment I didn't need. I switched to Aidan Higgins Dental on O'Connell Avenue and was seen by Eoghan Flynn. He's great! Is a nice guy and I'm really happy with the treatment, would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

Just tried Jacqueline Foley / Sean Hennessy , across from Souths , they're only dealing with existing clients & not taking on new ones.

Anyone use 3Dental in the Old Quarter area in the city ?

Have been quoted at least 2k euro for an extraction + implant for a front upper tooth & process would take approx 9 months.
    Anyone get similar done around Limerick ?

I'm currently in the middle of a similar treatment plan with Alexandra Dental, except I've had one tooth surgically removed and am having two implants put in next month. They are upper left molars. I have been quoted €5,000. The surgical removal cost €150.

I'm extremely happy with and confident in the dentist doing the work, which for me is the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Shop around. These guys are charging astronomical prices.

I was quoted €340 for two fillings. I got a 2nd and 3rd opinion from other dentists in the area, both quoted €180. When asked what I had been quoted initially both dentists knew that I had been to Shields.

I would have paid €340 for two fillings plus €85 for a scale and polish (that two dentists confirmed I did not require). I can get exactly the same work done elsewhere for €180 with a saving of €245.

This is a minor procedure, if you are getting a lot of work done you will definitely make huge savings going elsewhere.

I agree there prices are pricey but I had to get work done (very bad lockjaw was once stuck open for 2 hours) could not complain but do agree are pricey. Will recommend Smiles also but when I was there they did seem to go through a few dentists

Advertisement