Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to mountmellick

Options
  • 06-03-2021 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what mountmellick is like to live in?

My wife and I and 2 kids were looking at moving there permanently as it's only 10 mins from portarlington station (I work in dublin city centre). I know there's not much to do but we're looking to move to a small town anyway.

Any honest opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rathevan

Hi,

I dont live in Mountmellick, Im in Portlaoise but when I was working in Dublin City Centre I used to drive to Kildare train station. It had a much better timetable and is a 20 min drive up the motorway. Its something to think about. I know a lot of people from Portlaoise and Portarlington used to do the same. It might give you more areas to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulfogarty

Thanks for that. Do you know what Mountmellick is like as a whole? Like is there much trouble there and is it safe on average? By the way I can't afford anywhere closer than Mountmellick or Portlaoise, they seem to be decent places for kids to grow up or correct me if I'm wrong? Cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

I drive through MM frequently . As soon as I get into it , cant wait to get out of it .

Is that because of the way it's physically rundown or because of the people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Basically because of its condition . Empty buildings , dull , grey , no investment . I dont know anyone living there , but its the last place in Ireland I would want to live in .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Jesus Christ, mountmellick is the roughest town in the whole midlands. Whatever you do, don’t voluntarily move there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rathevan

I don't know enough about Mountmellick to answer honestly but I'm from Dublin and I'm here in Portlaoise about 18 years. I love it, I wouldn't go back up. There are loads of sports clubs for the kids and pubs and restaurants for the adults. Some not so great areas but that's the same in every town.

Rough in what way? Would you have a higher chance of being robbed than other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Mountmellick isn't particularly rougher or worse than any other comparably sized town.
    It's probably a little bit lacking in facilities. Has a secondary school. Plenty of sports clubs. Not much in the line of eating out apart from the usual takeaways.
    I would consider it a big plus that 10 minutes out the road you have the Slieve Blooms and a lot of fantastic scenic places to walk, cycle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Rough in what way? Would you have a higher chance of being robbed than other places?

I would categorically say, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

bamayang wrote: »
    I would categorically say, yes.
    Have you any evidence to suggest that at all? I'm not from Mountmellick, I don't hold any particular torch for it but I would categorically say that I would feel safer on its streets than those of Athlone, Athy, Portlaoise to name just three.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffee table jazz

Don't live far from MM but it's not that bad! Plenty of nice stuff in the area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Just curious as to whether you've considered Portarlington itself? It's even closer to the train station! I don't know much about Mountmellick though, it has a lovely playground for the kids. And a Supervalu. But, as far as I'm aware, no Aldi or Lidl. Portarlington would probably be your closest for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Portarlington and Mountmellick are equally rough. I wouldn't do either. Stick to Portlaoise!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Portarlington and Mountmellick are equally rough. I wouldn't do either. Stick to Portlaoise!

LOL

disregard the two frying pans... just jump feet first into the fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The thing is, people from one town usually say the next town is a kip, and vice versa etc etc.
    From my hearsay knowledge, I’ve always heard it was a rough town but I have nothing to back that up. There’s a good few rough estates for a small town. It’s a terrible looking town. Dull and dreary. Parts are also susceptible to flooding so do some research before you buy.

Just curious as to whether you've considered Portarlington itself? It's even closer to the train station! I don't know much about Mountmellick though, it has a lovely playground for the kids. And a Supervalu. But, as far as I'm aware, no Aldi or Lidl. Portarlington would probably be your closest for those.

Main reason is portarlington is too expensive for a 3 bed house as we're a one income family, 10 minute drive to the station is no problem

Advertisement