Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Ballyheigue

Options
  • 04-11-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

We are a family of 4. My husband, myself and our two kids aged 5 and 1.
    Himself is from Dublin and I am from Kerry.

We live in Dublin, bought a house here 2 years ago and are happy enough.

I absolutely love Ballyheigue and would love to have my forever home there.

With Covid we are both working from home in good jobs that would be available in Kerry anyway.

Are boys are young enough to still move in the next 2-3 years without much disruption.

My only holdback would be if the hubby missed Dublin too much, he has a good social network up here.

Has anyone here made the move to Ballyheigue? How are the schools and general day to day life there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

conor05 wrote:
    Has anyone here made the move to Ballyheigue? How are the schools and general day to day life there?

Sounds like exciting times ahead for you and your family and fingers crossed you find exactly what you are looking for!

In regards to moving to Ballyheigue, I assume you have spent a fair bit of time there? My concern for someone from Dublin (your partner) is that it's very rural. Like any village, it can be challenging to integrate as many of the social networks exist for many years already.

The plus side, the house prices will be very refreshing compared to Dublin.

There is two primary schools, both are very small meaning you will see 2 different classes in one e.g 5th class and 6th class integrated into one.

Course this is only my 2 cents, to be honest I would prob recommend looking at somewhere closer to Tralee to start , rent, and then move out if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The next time this winter (when you are allowed) there is a brutal weekend of weather - I'm talking 20-30mm of rain a day, 60-80kph winds - book a place to stay in Ballyheigue for 3 or 4 days.

If ye still want to come down after that and you don't mind your husband going back to Dublin every month or so to go on the lash with his mates then go for it.

On secondary schools if that's an issue - might not be too easy getting them into the schools in Tralee I believe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

BPKS wrote: »
    The next time this winter (when you are allowed) there is a brutal weekend of weather - I'm talking 20-30mm of rain a day, 60-80kph winds - book a place to stay in Ballyheigue for 3 or 4 days.

If ye still want to come down after that and you don't mind your husband going back to Dublin every month or so to go on the lash with his mates then go for it.

On secondary schools if that's an issue - might not be too easy getting them into the schools in Tralee I believe?

There's a secondary school in Causeway which isn't far & I think there's a school bus to it. My friend lives in Ardfert and her daughter started secondary school in Causeway. Apparently a lovely school. Also may be the option of sending kids to the primary school in Ardfert if they are only small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hi, we made a similar move over 5 years ago and moved from Kildare (both working in Dublin based jobs at the time) to Kerry where I have been working from home since for my company in Dublin. My wife picked up work down here with the move. I'm from the midlands originally so had no grá for the Dublin area and was happy to move when we could. The risk I felt was that if it didn't work out we'd have to possibly move back depending on the work situation at the time. For me work was the key thing, once that was okay the rest would be fine.
    In regards Ballyheigue, it's a lovely spot all times of the year in my opinion, we only live 10mins away inland so more rural in ways.
    People are very friendly to blows in like myself (even though I have no interest or involvement in GAA which is probably a black mark against me), in my case I'm interested in running and it's through that I have built my social connections. Involved with the local athletics club and I meet people a few times a week (when restrictions allow) for group runs. Said yes to a few things like boards/committees and things that in the area that helped integrate.
    I do look forward to getting out of the house and meeting people as some days if work is quiet you can miss the general interaction with people.

It's been a great move for us to the point that it was like life restarting so we're always talking about from when we moved down, like BC/AD sort of thing it seems.
    I'd highly recommend it, kids adapt very quickly and some day you'll be walking on the beach in Ballyheigue and say to each other thank god we did it. Life is short, you get one go around.

For schools, each village in the area has it's own primary schools and most often than not people go to the one that's closest to them or else maybe have relations in.
    For secondary schools, there is a bus service to Causeway Comprehensive. I'd expect there is one as well for the secondary schools in Tralee as well, I think there is a pickup in Ardfert at least that probably services Mounthawk, CBS or Presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Moved from dublin to North kerry.
    Middle of the city to the middle of lots of fields.

I don't miss any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We made a similar move when the kids were young, but from Dublin to Mayo. I'm from Mayo, my wife from Kerry.

We had no family/long standing ties (well apart from a house) in Dublin which made it an easier move. A lot will depend on you and your husband's attitude to the move. If you want to make it work, it will, and it'll be great.

For the first couple of years my wife got very involved in groups, comittees etc to get to know people. It's a bit of effort and not the easiest thing when you already have your own network somewhere else, but you do really have to get yourself out there if you want to meet and make new friends. Sport could play a big part if you're husband is into it. Failing that, you'll meet new people all the time via your kids, meeting their friends parents through school, sport etc. you just have to make an effort.

We're delighted with the move but it is a big move so make sure both are at least enthusiastic going into it. Ballyheigue is a lovely part of the world but it's probably a world away from what your husband is used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Thanks for all the replies folks, it is great to get others peoples experiences and thoughts on it.

The husband is sport mad so meeting people won't be a problem, but then he would be leaving all his sporting connections behind in Dublin, but he seems to think he will survive in North Kerry!!

Once the kids settle in ok, I think we would follow suit fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Have a look at Episode 1 of Bliain in Inis Oírr on YouTube. It covers Cormac Coyne and his wife Maire ni Chonghaile (an islander) moving there from Dublin. Cormac now teaches on the island - see from 5:00 in. The emotions around the move can be seen from 19:25. Cormac is on Facebook and regularly posts about life on the island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaflLI-bkYc&ab_channel=AnGhaeilge

JonathonS wrote: »
    Have a look at Episode 1 of Bliain in Inis Oírr on YouTube. It covers Cormac Coyne and his wife Maire ni Chonghaile (an islander) moving there from Dublin. Cormac now teaches on the island - see from 5:00 in. The emotions around the move can be seen from 19:25. Cormac is on Facebook and regularly posts about life on the island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaflLI-bkYc&ab_channel=AnGhaeilge

I'm not sure you can compare Inis oirr to ballyheigue. Though it's not far from it.
    The only thing with ballyheigue is that it's not far from tralee and listowel

• Advertisement

It is all about your perspective & mindset really, I live in the area where my wife grew up...when my relatives from up the country (midlands) come down they think it's very remote. In my wife's case you'd have to take her to depths of West Kerry for her to think that's remote. Whereas some people I work with find it once they get an hour or so outside Dublin find it remote. In ways it's also very easy to be remote in a city/crowd, really does depend on your perspective & mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

diego_b wrote: »
    It is all about your perspective & mindset really, I live in the area where my wife grew up...when my relatives from up the country (midlands) come down they think it's very remote. In my wife's case you'd have to take her to depths of West Kerry for her to think that's remote. Whereas some people I work with find it once they get an hour or so outside Dublin find it remote. In ways it's also very easy to be remote in a city/crowd, really does depend on your perspective & mindset.

Very true. Your last line would be how I feel to an extent in Dublin.

The move will be what we make it, we are getting more and more positive about it every day.

I am from Kerry, have a lot of relations and friends here but we still will be 25 minutes away from them but that is perfect.

They can visit us/we visit them without living out of eachothers pockets.

My husbands friends will be down for weekends also and he is very active sportswise he will fit in down here.

I have heard Ardfert are building a large multi-sports facility in years to come, that would be great for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I'm not sure you can compare Inis oirr to ballyheigue. Though it's not far from it.
    The only thing with ballyheigue is that it's not far from tralee and listowel

I'm absolutely sure you cannot compare the two. :)

JonathonS wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sure you cannot compare the two. :)

I don't know. Both are isolated, beside the seaside, and have nothing of consequence in them. And of course, both sets of inhabitants speak and can't be understood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

conor05 wrote: »
    We are a family of 4. My husband, myself and our two kids aged 5 and 1.... Himself is from Dublin and I am from Kerry.

I absolutely love Ballyheigue and would love to have my forever home there.
    How are the schools and general day to day life there?
    The husband is sport mad so meeting people won't be a problem.....Once the kids settle in ok, I think we would follow suit fairly quickly.
    I am from Kerry, have a lot of relations and friends here but we still will be 25 minutes away from them but that is perfect.
    ....(Husband) is very active sports wise he will fit in down here.
    I have heard Ardfert are building a large multi-sports facility in years to come, that would be great for the kids.

Perhaps, also consider the Ardfert area as closer to Swimming Pool & Gym in Banna, and the Sports Complex in Tralee and for weekly shopping in Tralee.

Primary school is your first consideration (Secondary School is years away yet). Plenty of holiday homes to rent on a long term basis (make sure of 'fast' Broadband connection) before buying your new home. WELCOME BACK GIRL. Up the Kingdom! (feck the Dubs) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Considering a similar move ourselves. How have you got on?

Advertisement