Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

So glad to hear, sorry I wasn't being bossy asking you that. It pains me to see our native hedges cut during nesting season. Our whitehorn here is like an apartment block, so many nesting. You'll be at the shredder for awhile after all that work!

No you're right to ask. Wouldn't dream of destroying nests. The rush was on to get it finished before any birds moved in but as I said previously, doesn't seem to be an attractive neighbourhood for birds. Not a single old nest was found.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

No you're right to ask. Wouldn't dream of destroying nests. The rush was on to get it finished before any birds moved in but as I said previously, doesn't seem to be an attractive neighbourhood for birds. Not a single old nest was found.

The nests are works of art aren't they... we leave out the dogs hair after shedding and each year find some abandoned nests with the dog hairs weaved in with moss etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tidying up the area which will become a bijou wildflower patch (every little helps!), a dense mass of brambles which were all over the top of the garden got harvested winter last year and left to dry and become brittle enough to simply chop up with lawn edgers and loppers. I'll bag it all for now and keep it as a mulch.

I have 20 discarded slabs which were recovered while working on a job, 8 will act as the lawn border, I'll put them properly tomorrow with an underlay of lino to keep them free of infestation. I'll transplant some of Crocosmia bulbs from the top of the compost pile to create a sward effect down to the lower cluster. I'll also be painting the blockwork in a neutral light earth colour. And then I'll try and get my hands on a selection of wildflower seeds.

Excuse the shoddy snaps.

33CGw.jpg

33CGx.jpg

33CGy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Got sets of red and white onions in in the back, and planted some cyclamen and hellebores in the front. Was going to plant out a lavender I’d gotten as a present, but I think I’ll sneak it into the community garden cos the smell makes me want to puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Created 2 brand new borders today. I have to stop myself and remind myself that next year when I don’t actually have spare time that I’ll still have to manage these! The one in the photo has thistle, knapweed, borage, yarrow, corn flower, bugloss and Russian sage seeds. Hopefully it’ll work out, should be a bee hub if it does.
    508165.jpeg
    Also planted a small annual border with Nigelica and cosmos. I’ve never been a fan of annuals, too much work for a short amount of time! I’ll reserve judgment to see how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

got the flowerbed weeded at last and a general tidy up of the garden. I need supplies to finish off the patio im making on a budget. It will have to wait for now

YXubdNB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

got the flowerbed weeded at last and a general tidy up of the garden. I need supplies to finish off the patio im making on a budget. It will have to wait for now

what supplies are you looking for?
    Will be getting rid of a good amount of concrete slabs very soon i you want to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

what supplies are you looking for?
    Will be getting rid of a good amount of concrete slabs very soon i you want to PM me

Appreciate it but i need wood to build a fence to the right of that patio and stone around it. Have pallet wood stored but need posts and concrete and few misc bits

Made a wire mesh/gauze cover for the salad leaves, they went in as plugs and not died but have stalled, looks like need a bit of warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

While digging over the back bed I bent my bloody fork. I must have hit a stone. It’s a decent one, True Temper I think, that was a gift from OH’s mother. Can it be done myself or do I need to find a blacksmith?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Planted artichokes today

kylith wrote: »
    While digging over the back bed I bent my bloody fork. I must have hit a stone. It’s a decent one, True Temper I think, that was a gift from OH’s mother. Can it be done myself or do I need to find a blacksmith?

Is it just one of the tines you bent? Put it in between a table vice if you have one and bend it back yourself. You will have plenty of leverage with such a long handle

Just replanted a lettuce head base in a pot of compost to see if it'll regrow (inspired by guardian article).

Started to break up ja 20 year old wooden deck.... see you in another 20 years...

Bijou bug hotel which I'll develop

34bRh.jpg

and a bug doss house

34bRg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Planted the last of my asparagus crowns(18 in all) and shallots today.
    Have oca, mashua and artichoke to plant out at the weekend.
    Sowed some brassicas in a propagator this evening but will buy some more plants in s few weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We moved house a few weeks ago. I mowed the lawns today... We are getting a ride on at the earliest opportunity!

I sowed sweet pea, sunflowers, cosmos and salads on Monday. The salads are starting to pop up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Finally tackled a section of the back garden that had a serious bramble infestation. Discovered that there was also a rose among the Brambles, so had to ensure that didn't get cut. Spent a few hours removing ivy roots, and other bits of crap. Put down some new bedding soil, and planet a wide selection of plants.

Once that was done I did more work on the main flower bed, essentially connected up two beds into one, easily 18ft long now.

Just need some flat stones to build up a wall around them.

Already attracted a lot of bees and butterflies.

Inspired by something someone posted here I built this beehive style composter on saturday.
    About 40e worth of 7 x 1" treated planks and some screws.
    Made it up as I went along so the door and lid could be more refined but I'm very happy with it.

83d380bd-b5fb-47da-ad2b-d98ce4b38a2c.jpg

IMG-20200425-WA0042.jpg

Thank god for the rain coming, all I seem to be doing lately in the garden is watering!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Planted a tree yesterday.

Wedding Cake Tree (Cornus controversa Variegata). Have had it in a pot for two years and never got around to planting as I couldn't decide on a suitable spot. Thought it died through the winter just gone but lo and behold leaves appeared on the bottom two thirds of it in the last week. Cut out the die-back and figured I owed it a chance so into the ground it went. Fingers crossed it settles in and thrives.

511265.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

sowed the lawn yesterday. only took me 5 weeks!!

put some of the young lettuce in trays last night

sowed carrots, lettuce - three varities, spring onion seeds on Monday direct to garden

planted out peas along a trellis (thanks Aldi)

Today I’ve had a ‘very busy’ day doing sweet FA in the garden, now I think I deserve a ‘well earned’ glass of vino :pac:

511615.jpeg

Muckish Mountain in the background ❤️

Start of lock down

34BpA.jpg

today

34Bpz.jpg

and the plants that are now in situ there - Verbenas, Agastache and Vinca Minor

34Bpx.jpg

Planted out a dozen artichoke plants.
    Need to ready beds for Oca, mashua and more asparagus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

trying out something today - since we're not really using the car much, and it's sunny, i nipped off some of the oregano plant and am trying to find out how well drying it on the dash of the car works.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I cut down an overgrown bay tree - gives huge light to the garden now and started painting the garden walls

trying out something today - since we're not really using the car much, and it's sunny, i nipped off some of the oregano plant and am trying to find out how well drying it on the dash of the car works.

Could be a new line in organic air freshener, chop some up and put it in the lose change box if you have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Planted 2 dozen beetroot plants I'd started in March which were well due for planting, along with some round courgettes, chards and kales. Vegetable beds had had about 50 kilos of fresh chicken manure dug into them in January. When I went to put seaweed on them in February, I found the *biggest* earthworms I'd ever seen - not exaggerating but easily 10 inches long and maybe. 1/2 inch in diameter, seriously monstrous things. I attribute that to the chicken manure which I'd never used before.

Everything looked great, then the fricking wind picked up so fingers crossed it'll abate soon and not shred everything. So far so good

Neighbor gave me a dozen corn plants (Country Gentleman variety). Waiting for a bit warmer weather for them to go out, late next week I think, I have a better enclosed but less accessible part of the yard for them to go into. Corn is difficult to raise in Ireland, I really miss gardening in New Jersey, everything was easy there long hot damp summers lots of sun. Ireland, not so much.

• Advertisement

Dug out a load of buttercup from my seed bed today.

Getting some broilers chicks this evening.Roast chicken in 6 weeks😀

Advertisement