Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for low maintenance trees and front garden

Options
  • 16-04-2021 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for opinions for low/no maintenance options for front garden of rental property.

See photos attached. Should i just remove these trees or is reducing to 5ft an option. Will they grow back as quick.

Stones/breathable membrane hasnt worked out, weeds keep coming up despite treatment. I could put more stones down, remove all and reseed grass or tarmac.

Maybe this question isnt for gardening forum as I am looking for low or no maintenance here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We don't mind low maintenance, unless you are asking how to put concrete down :D

I suppose it goes without saying that the landlord will have a say in what you do, but maybe you have an arrangement with them.

If you cut the trees down they will look like half trees and will not grow back. The far one looks a bit doubtful anyway, but the other two are healthy. Its not the right time of year to cut trees anyway because of birds nesting.

Agreed the gravel is a mess, though you must expect some weeds even in a membrane/stones situation. Soil/dirt gets in between the stones and weeds grow. Not many and they are generally easy to remove, but it does have to be done occasionally. Its difficult to see from the pic but it doesn't look like a very satisfactory job anyway; the membrane was not properly put down and there are not enough stones and not enough depth allowed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks Looksee

I’m the landlord so looking for options where I don’t need to maintain the garden. Tenants are excellent and have tiedied up back garden. Just looking to make front and back more presentable so neighbours as well don’t think I couldn’t care less about the houseðŸ˜

I don’t think birds are nesting in the trees. My wife suggested tarmac for front garden so know well that won’t be acceptable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You could plant a couple of Camelia's in front of the trees presuming that area gets some bit of sun. They're evergreen as well but have beautiful rose like flowers for a while.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭billyhead

You could plant a couple of Camelia's in front of the trees presuming that area gets some bit of sun. They're evergreen as well but have beautiful rose like flowers for a while.

Do Camellias not prefer shaded areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

billyhead wrote: »
    Do Camellias not prefer shaded areas?

Partial shade, which they would have with the big trees.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Those stones at the front appear to be have been put down by penny pinching. There was never enough depth. You have to put more down. Also there's no such thing as no weeding . Weeding would have to be don't a few times a year even if it was concrete you'd have them at the edges or any joins.

I'd say trim the hedges back . Keep them trimmed once a year and put more stones down. Ask the tenant to pull any weeds every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a big area to just put tarmac - or any other non-permeable surface - and unless it is an absolutely top rate job, given there is nothing to distract the eye - it will look terrible fairly quickly. Pebbles are probably the best bet, with say twice a year attention it could look ok, though I would prefer to see either a bed or some pots or something to break it up. I don't think there is any point throwing down more pebbles though. The existing ones need to be moved out of the way, the membrane lifted - it may be reusable - a couple of inches of soil scraped out to give a level but dropped surface. Firm it down. Replace the membrane but this time pin it properly and make sure the edges are tidy. Replace pebbles and add more. In about 12 months add a few more, then it should be fine.

Its not a matter of whether you think there are nests in the trees, its simply a legal thing. People ignore it all the time but you need to be aware of the regs. They seem a bit random to me, are they across the front or down the side? If they are at the front then I'd be inclined to wait till next october and take them out, they look a bit as though they are past their best anyway. But do put in something more appropriate to replace them crab apple or cherry - not the double flowered one, they are nearly as dark and dense as the ones that are in when they are not in flower. One of the lighter, smaller flowered ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭standardg60

Hi All,

Looking for opinions for low/no maintenance options for front garden of rental property.

See photos attached. Should i just remove these trees or is reducing to 5ft an option. Will they grow back as quick.

Stones/breathable membrane hasnt worked out, weeds keep coming up despite treatment. I could put more stones down, remove all and reseed grass or tarmac.

Maybe this question isnt for gardening forum as I am looking for low or no maintenance here.

The trees are Thuja emerald and don't require any maintenance as they'll take years to grow much more.

What are you treating the weeds with?
    Was the area treated before the laying of the membrane? Dandelions will always regrow through the gaps in the membrane if not killed off beforehand.
    Treat everything with roundup and then put more pebble down. Repeat treatment will probably be necessary though.

Yes, those trees are as maintenance free as you are going to get. The shade they cast reduces growth below too.

Advertisement