Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino

Options
  • 14-04-2021 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of walking a part of the Camino in October or November of this year and was wondering if any of you had done this before? I’m in two minds about which way to do it. I could either do it by myself or with a group travel company like intrepid or g adventures. If any of you have done this by yourself, I would love to hear about your experience? Did you have trouble meeting people? I was also wondering if there is much of a scene at night. I do not mean clubs. I just mean bars to sit around and have a few beers to talk. Any advice in relation to the walk would be very much appreciated please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was also wondering whether you think it would be feasible to travel to Spain by then? I can’t afford to quarantine when I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Do it on your own. You will meet loads of people. I would not go with an organised tour. There will always be a bar/restaurant wherever you stay.. believe me, you will be knackered most eves.

I done the entire walk 9 yrs ago. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I would not do the last 100k which a lot of people do to get the certificate. Too busy..

Try doing it from SJP and see how you go. Take as long as you can off work and keep walking to see how far you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Hontou

OP I strongly recommend you to look at this forum group. It is like Boards just for the Camino.
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

I got all my info on everything from packing to airports to buses from that forum.

The most direct way to do a camino ending in Santiago De C' in terms of logistics from Ireland is to do the Camino Portugues. Ryanair have direct cheap flights into Porto. (I hope still after lockdowns). You can start walking from Porto doing the coastal route or a more inland route. Around 200km, so 10 days taking it relatively easy.

If you only have a week, you could take a bus from Porto to Vigo or Tui further north so you just have the last 100km to go. The handy thing is that you can then get a direct bus or train to Porto for your flight home.

If you want to do the more traditional route - The Camino Frances, then I recommend flying into Biarritz (again cheap flights with Ryanair if they are still running). Either get a bus to Biarritz train station where you then get a train to the most common starting point St Jean Pied de Port or there is a great travel company that pick you up in Biarritz Airport and take you to SJPP for around €30......worth it as a one off I think. http://www.expressbourricot.com.

The journey from SJPP is over 800km. If you have a month or more you can do it in one go. My plan is to do it in 4 separate journeys because of work/family commitments. On journey one, I was going to fly in and out of Biarritz, journey two, in and out of, Bilboa, journey three in and out of Santandar etc.

If you go with a travel company they will put you up in nice accommodation with meals, transfer your bags etc but you will pay around €800 for a week. The most common journey is the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago De C'.

I did the Camino Portugues and my flights, accommodation and bus back to the airport cost €300 in total for 11 days organising it myself. But I stayed in basic hostels with my own sleeping bag.

In terms of doing it yourself or with someone else, it depends on whether you normally go on holidays yourself or with others. I met up with the same people most nights in the hostels as we were all walking approx. 20km a day and looking for the same cheap hostels. If you stay in more expensive accommodation it is less social. In the evenings we would go to the local supermarket, buy some Rioja, pasta and salad etc and cook together. You could end up on your own some nights too......and you need that for looking after your sore feet.

Enjoy planning your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement