Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Portlaoise, Maryborough Village

Options
  • 20-11-2020 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    We are thinking about moving out from Dublin. The Maryborough Village estate in Portlaoise seems like a very nice place. Hopefully my husband will be able to work from home some days but he’ll need still be able to get access to Dublin.
    Please, can you share your experience how is to live in Portlaoise? What are the schools (primary and secondary) are like?
    Is it a safe, friendly place in general?
    I would be grateful for every opinion.
    Thank you.A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gerardmillrace

Hi Agawa, we did it for three years 2017 to 2020 and honestly it takes a huge physical toll on your health commuting to Dublin for work. It's very very tiring. Housing might seem cheap but you have to ask yourselves if your physically exhausted by Friday will you enjoy the weekend or just be recovering for Monday. The town itself is ok, the shops etc have all the same availability as in Dublin. The downside we found was there was an ongoing issue with antisocial behaviour in the estates that isn't dealt with. The council buy up houses in private estates and unfortuantely it does lead to problems in some parts of the town. We witnessed fights and assualts between these tenants and experienced considerable personal abuse and our home being attacked so on balance I would 100% not recommend the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can echo most of the above. The commute will wear you down. Until March I was doing it daily and while the last 2 years have been a bit easier, most of the time it felt like I was just sleeping here during the week - and that was with a later start/finish to miss some of the traffic.
    Depending on where your husband works in Dublin he might be leaving before 7am and not getting home till 8pm. Obviously CV-19 has had an impact on traffic but not that much I don't think. I had to go in to the office this morning (which is thankfully on the outskirts of Dublin) but it was as heavy on the M7 as a normal pre-Covid Thursday IMO. There's the train/coaches as well but that will probably work out at the same time by the time you get to the destination, isn't cheap either, and may not be suitable anyway if he doesn't work in the city centre.

The estate I'm in is fairly quiet but the Council have indeed been buying up anything that comes on the market (which also reduces availability and drives up the prices of course!) and the sad fact is that WILL lead to issues down the line. Of course you can get that everywhere, but adding it to a long commute (especially if working from home isn't guaranteed - you say hopefully in your post) is something to think about for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Agawa

Hi Guys,
    I’m sorry for such a late reply but I was sure nobody respond it until my husband checked board.ie yesterday.
    Thanks a mill for your advice. It's such a hard decision and covid situation gave us a bit more time to think about is as they stopped all the constructions at the moment.
    We are between minds.
    We have a house in Dublin but we would like to sale and buy a detached house with a big garden outside of the Dublin.
    I’ll have to resign from my job and my husband will need to travel to Dublin Hueston by train.
    We had no idea Council buys some houses as a person who dealt with us said in the area they don't plan to put any social houses.
    Did you mean Maryborough Village estate in your post ?

I really appreciate your help as we have literally nobody to ask for an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think, and I’m open to correction on this, that any builder that builds a large estate has to sell for example, 1 in every 10 houses to the council

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

If you are spending your own money on a house I'd advise looking just outside the town maybe. I certainly would not pay what they are looking for in maryborough seeing as how so many have be bought by the council. The estate has gone downhill badly in the last 18 months. I'd be gutted if I bought a house and someone that hasn't contributed a thing to society got a brand new house next to me.

• Advertisement

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    If you are spending your own money on a house I'd advise looking just outside the town maybe. I certainly would not pay what they are looking for in maryborough seeing as how so many have be bought by the council. The estate has gone downhill badly in the last 18 months. I'd be gutted if I bought a house and someone that hasn't contributed a thing to society got a brand new house next to me.

Thanks so much for your response Chris. Can I ask if you mean Market News in Maryborough Village? They said during viewing only social houses are in this part and they do not plan more social area in the estate? Is there any possibility they will sell more to the Council over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agawa wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your response Chris. Can I ask if you mean Market News in Maryborough Village? They said during viewing only social houses are in this part and they do not plan more social area in the estate? Is there any possibility they will sell more to the Council over there?

As I mentioned above, what's happening a lot is that private sales are being bought by the councils who then rent them to social tenants. This is because of the lack of available housing generally, but especially social housing.

So you could well find that your estate and the ownership of the properties changes over the next few years through this method. I live in a end of terrace row of 4 in a different estate in the town and 2 of those 4 are now social housing in the last 2 years.

Thankfully my new neighbours are quiet though I do worry that one may become a problem as their kids grow up given what I've seen so far.

Market mews was where the original social housing but the new ones on berryridge Ave must have be bought by the council because, well im not sure how to write this correctly but you can tell that these people haven't bought them if you know what I mean.

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    Market mews was where the original social housing but the new ones on berryridge Ave must have be bought by the council because, well im not sure how to write this correctly but you can tell that these people haven't bought them if you know what I mean.

Thanks a mill!! It's shocking because we directly ask the seller about social housing in the area. He said it's only Market Mews part and he wants to make the estate nice to live. We told him about our recent experience and that we want to make sure that will not happened again. If they sold houses from Berryridge Ave it might be easy extended for another parts. We’ll have to rethink our decision. Thanks again Chris.

Thanks a mill!! It's shocking because we directly ask the seller about social housing in the area. He said it's only Market Mews part and he wants to make the estate nice to live. We told him about our recent experience and that we want to make sure that will not happened again. If they sold houses from Berryridge Ave it might be easy extended for another parts. We’ll have to rethink our decision. Thanks again Chris.
    Maybe he's being creative with his vocabulary when describing social housing. Maybe to him because the council paid full whack for the houses and they didn't go to like the help to buy scheme etc it's not social housing. Every new part of the estate has evidence of social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Chooseyour

Hello,
    We are thinking about moving out from Dublin. The Maryborough Village estate in Portlaoise seems like a very nice place. Hopefully my husband will be able to work from home some days but he’ll need still be able to get access to Dublin.
    Please, can you share your experience how is to live in Portlaoise? What are the schools (primary and secondary) are like?
    Is it a safe, friendly place in general?
    I would be grateful for every opinion.
    Thank you.A.

Hi

I just viewed a property today in Maryborough Village, did you buy a house there?

Chooseyour wrote: »
    Hi

I just viewed a property today in Maryborough Village, did you buy a house there?

Hi Chooseyour,

unfortunately, we did withdraw our application for the house.
    We own a house in Dublin plus few other factors like travelling, schools etc made us to change our decision.
    We did research loads so if I only could help send me a priv, please.

Have a nice evening,
    Agawa

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Janger

How's the viewing. Did u buy a house there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 zan4ik89

Is there anyone who actually bought in there? I am trying to find someone who's waiting on new phase to be finished 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Erik77

Went there to view their showhouse.

What they don't say in their ads is that houses comes with unfinished floors, apart from bathrooms, so it's up to you to do carpeting/tiling. So be prepared to fork out extra ~7k for that. Also, there's very bad sound isolation there. If, let's say, your wife/husband is upstairs, and you're in the living room downstairs, you are able to hear every single move of her. All the inside walls are made of plasterboards.

Also, I was told that there's no social housing in the estate where new houses are being sold, which contradicts info from previous posts above.

We have decide not to for it. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 zan4ik89

Thanks for your reply!

Our friends bought there recently and sound isolation is good enough (i think it's better with flooring done) but yes, sales advisor told me that there is no social housing as well, but they have Market Mews and i know that there is a block of social housing for vulnerable people, i am wondering how true is that. Did you decide on another part of Portlaoise or different area?

I thought most of new builds come without flooring amd appliances...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irnd

Hi all, This thread has been very helpful. We have a viewing for the 4-Bedroom Detached Bungalow which they have as Kilshannig/Glenveagh. Any idea how this area is, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DoctorRV

Did you view and by any chance book one of the Kilshannig ? and may have any more insights on what has been spoken in the thread above ?

Advertisement