Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to the UK from Ireland

Options
  • 11-04-2021 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi All

Looking for some advice. I haven't seen my other half since early December and I am hoping to fly over to stay with his him in the next month or two in England.

Has anyone done this recently? Apart from the Covid tests that apply, I was wondering what the story is with Gardai checks in the airport.

I don't have a real reason for travelling so am I going to have to book a medical appointment over there or is there anything else you can advise them at the airport to allow you to travel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No test needed to fly into England.

But you will need a test to return from England to Ireland.

I'm not saying to do this, But travel from London to Belfast does not require any tests ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

afatbollix wrote: »

I'm not saying to do this, But travel from London to Belfast does not require any tests ;)

Thanks a million that is very good to know!

Do you know if Gardai are in Dublin Airport 24/7 now? Trying to find out!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

bleuhh wrote: »
    Thanks a million that is very good to know!

Do you know if Gardai are in Dublin Airport 24/7 now? Trying to find out!!

i flew last weekend, 2 garda inside just before you go throigh to customs but werent asking anyone questions just checking boarding passes ansd passports, there was a large enough crowd in the airport bigger than what i seen since this madness began,great to see it was.

i flew back via Belfast no test required, and was great to have a sense of normality in the UK, few beers outdoors and nice weather.

afatbollix wrote: »

dont see why not what ive been doing now for ages, fcuk that having to pay stupiod money for a test which gives false positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

On return to Ireland, do you still have to have the Irish government locator form filled up?

• Advertisement

Poulgorm wrote: »
    On return to Ireland, do you still have to have the Irish government locator form filled up?

Flying into Dublin you do, but if you fly back from England , Wales or Scotland to Belfast you dont.

dont see why not what ive been doing now for ages, fcuk that having to pay stupiod money for a test which gives false positives.

Yeah dead right. Are you driving from Belfast down or is there any public transport operating at the moment?

Yeah dead right. Are you driving from Belfast down or is there any public transport operating at the moment?

Public transport, never any trouble at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Did you get bus from Belfast to Dublin? If so, what one may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I’ve done loads of them and didn’t get any false positives. (Either PCR or Antigen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Boonie96

Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation to the OP, I haven't seen my girlfriend since last year. Very concerned with fines, is relocating a valid excuse? How would I even prove that I am relocating there? I plan to live in her house and work remotely from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Boonie96 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation to the OP, I haven't seen my girlfriend since last year. Very concerned with fines, is relocating a valid excuse? How would I even prove that I am relocating there? I plan to live in her house and work remotely from there.

Just show them a photo of the two of you together and say you're in love. Unlikely to be a dry eye in the house and they'll wave you through amidst sobs of happiness.

Oh... And use a one-way ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

OP - it's easy enough. You don't need a test nor a locator form to go to the UK.

Go enjoy yourself. Stay there a good while too. Away from this misery ridden kip for a while. Be good for your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

if you are moving - you are moving. End of. Just do it. Don't be worried about anyone stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

redcup342 wrote: »
    I’ve done loads of them and didn’t get any false positives. (Either PCR or Antigen)

There's a very low risk of a false positive. I tried to find out before and i think it's like 1 in 200 or i could be making that up.

It's like looking in a box.. Either it's there or it's not.

Doesn't mean false positives can't happen, just means it's rare enough not to be in issue.

Would you mind letting me know what bus or train you have gotten? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Nothing to worry about. No check points on the motorways. If you fly easyJet you won't even need ID. Just boarding pass.

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about. No check points on the motorways. If you fly easyJet you won't even need ID. Just boarding pass.

I won't be driving unfortunately it'll have to be public transport! Any idea what buses are operating from Belfast do Dublin at the moment? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

No sorry. If you really have to go just pay somebody to drive you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Boonie96

Has anyone had any recent experience with the Dublin to Belfast Irish rail line? I am thinking of flying from Belfast to London come next month. Wondering if the trains are being checked for essential reasons or not.

• Advertisement

Would you mind letting me know what bus or train you have gotten? Cheers

Irish Rail or sometimes its the NI Translink train,coaches dont appear to be running between the North and Dublin at the moment but id imagone they will be back next month.

Has anyone had any recent experience with the Dublin to Belfast Irish rail line? I am thinking of flying from Belfast to London come next month. Wondering if the trains are being checked for essential reasons or not.

Never have from what ive seen, have done it numerous times, maybe during the early stages of the lockdown they were but not now.

redcup342 wrote: »

Rapid antigen tests id trust over PCR which pick up all types of dormant illness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Rapid antigen tests id trust over PCR which pick up all types of dormant illness

Have you any evidence of this or are you spreading misinformation based on nothing?

Mimon wrote: »
    Have you any evidence of this or are you spreading misinformation based on nothing?

A lad i know done a PCR test in one of the test centres after getting a notification he was a close contact, he had no sympthoms at all and it said positive so he was shocked, but for clarity and peace of mind he followed up wth 2 rapid antigen tests within 4 days of each which both said negative, so draw your own conclusions here!!

i can also quote you numerous articles which state that PCR tests give out false positives, but even if i did you'd probably say fake news or something,people are far to quick to believe that PCR tests are the only covid tests worth taking, when the facts are they are renowned in numerous cases to give out false positives, it's been proved beyond doubt.

But you'll believe what you want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 coggy79

Hi,

I've to travel to the UK for business purposes on the 10th May returning 13th May. The only flights operating close to where I need to be is Belfast-Teesside. I'm from Clare so will be travelling up to Belfast city airport on the day of the flight. Is there anything I need to know in regards getting Covid tested pre flight or when I get back (to Belfast or Clare) or indeed any other requirements?
    Thanks in advance.

coggy79 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've to travel to the UK for business purposes on the 10th May returning 13th May. The only flights operating close to where I need to be is Belfast-Teesside. I'm from Clare so will be travelling up to Belfast city airport on the day of the flight. Is there anything I need to know in regards getting Covid tested pre flight or when I get back (to Belfast or Clare) or indeed any other requirements?
    Thanks in advance.

if your traveling back from anywhere in England or the rest of the UK to Belfast you dont need to take a test,ive done it several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 coggy79

if your traveling back from anywhere in England or the rest of the UK to Belfast you dont need to take a test,ive done it several times.

Thanks Dessie James.
    Would you know if a Covid/Antigen test is required before departure from either airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I flew into Belfast City (BHD) two weeks ago, took a taxi to Lanyon Station in Belfast and was down in Dublin 2 and a bit hours later, no checks and waltzed out of Connolly Station a free man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

coggy79 wrote: »
    Thanks Dessie James.
    Would you know if a Covid/Antigen test is required before departure from either airport?

London to Belfast is a UK internal flight so no covid test needed.

Advertisement