Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CT scanning machines in Ireland

Options
  • 20-03-2021 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I recently had to get a CT scan in the Waterford regional hospital, I had it on my lungs to check for a pulmonary embolism, which they found and also found double pneumonia.
    My question is, are the CT scanning machines in Ireland, and specifically Waterford, modern machines that deliver the exact radiation dose needed to get a picture? And would anyone have any information on the dose that would be delivered in the type of scan I had?
    I'm worried about the dose that was delivered and its hard to get any information on my scan. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Hi, I recently had to get a CT scan in the Waterford regional hospital, I had it on my lungs to check for a pulmonary embolism, which they found and also found double pneumonia.
    My question is, are the CT scanning machines in Ireland, and specifically Waterford, modern machines that deliver the exact radiation dose needed to get a picture? And would anyone have any information on the dose that would be delivered in the type of scan I had?
    I'm worried about the dose that was delivered and its hard to get any information on my scan. Thanks

Worried why?
    You don't have an embolus and pneumonia was detected that presumably got treated .
    Radiography is very safe in Ireland.

Even if you did know the exact dose in mSv given would you have to go googling to interpret it?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi I really wouldn’t worry about one ct , I was also worried about this and I have had a number of ct and other scans. Doctors have told me not too worry. I think you would need to have a lot of ct for it to affect your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Cop the phuck on!
    Do you think that they’d be doing such scans on people if the dose of radiation was in any way dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Cop the phuck on!
    Do you think that they’d be doing such scans on people if the dose of radiation was in any way dangerous?

The radiation exposure of a CT scan is high relative to a basic x-ray. A contrast media is often used which carries a slight risk of anaphylaxis in susceptible individuals. Therefore I think the most prudent thing to do would be to only undergo such investigation when absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

CTPA uses more radiation than a regular CT chest but its still incredibly incredibly unlikely to causes you any issues. There are newer and older machines and the dose vaires but if it found a PE then it was worth doing. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It's about the same as taking a flight. Just to put it in context.

Advertisement