Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes for work

Options
  • 06-03-2021 7:39pm

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for shoes to wear to an office job?

I've been wearing pair after pair of €6 ballet flats for most of my career and my feet are not happy with me at all. Add to that a lot of cheap heels in my younger days, hiking boots worn well after their best-before, and now years of ignoring sore feet have really left me in a bad way.

I tried splashing out on a pair of ballet flats from Clarks at one point, cost about €60 quid and they didn't do me any good.

Are most people in the same position as me, or what do other women even wear to work? I've been working from home since last March and whenever we go back I'll need new shoes, but I honestly can't remember what other people wear!

Heels are completely out - my toes would just fall off at this stage.

I basically need to wear a more robust shoe. I've definitely seen some women at work wear loafers, but I'm so unfashionable I really don't think I could pull them off.

Anyone else in an office job that wears women's shoes - what do you do??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We've no dress code where I work so anything goes

Do you have a dress code?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭suds1984

https://www.clarks.ie/c/Hamble-Oak/p/20346713

This is what I wear - would something like that suit you? I find it is a shoe that enable me to wear an insole with and it is laced so provides support for my feet. If looking for a slip on shoe - something like this https://www.clarks.ie/c/Pure-Tone/p/26159775 as they don’t use the toe to carry the shoe if you know what I mean?

Wow thanks for the quick replies!
    Stheno wrote: »
    Do you have a dress code?
    Haha I'd almost just prefer a uniform because at least then it would be clear, but our dress code is fairly foggy. It could be boiled down to 'not formal but professional, and if meeting a client try to match your client's dress code, unless your client dresses very casually in which case dress slightly more professional than them' (not an actual quote!). Then there have been specific instructions during team meetings such as don't wear jeans or boots. Then in addition to the dress code, women in the office randomly get pulled up on what they wear because of how it looks on them, but the same item of clothing might be fine for other people to wear based on their body shape.

I generally stick to skinny black trousers made of slacks-type/suit-type material and those horrible polyester tops you get in penneys. I'm a fairly pear-shaped, short legged, extra boobs/bum, size 12/14 so I just try to stay covered up as much as possible. I feel like that bit of skin that shows when I'm in ballet flats is the only thing that really lengthens then lower half of my body, which is why I'm finding it hard shopping online for a totally new style of shoe.

I'm really turning this into a drama now!
    suds1984 wrote: »
    https://www.clarks.ie/c/Hamble-Oak/p/20346713

This is what I wear - would something like that suit you? I find it is a shoe that enable me to wear an insole with and it is laced so provides support for my feet. If looking for a slip on shoe - something like this https://www.clarks.ie/c/Pure-Tone/p/26159775 as they don’t use the toe to carry the shoe if you know what I mean?

The first one looks perfect comfort-wise, but I'm not sure about the look. If I do end up getting into a bricks and mortar shop post-restrictions but pre-back to work I'd definitely try some on but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to take the plunge online.

The second pair are gorgeous! I'll actually have a think about ordering a pair of them. Thanks so much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I wore through two pairs of those Clark's brogues when I worked in retail, so comfortable! I'd have been wearing them with skinny trousers or knee-length dresses.

Ecco is worth a look as well, they often have decent looking flats and loafer styles.

I often struggle with comfy flat shoes due to a knee injury so a strap or laces really works for me, if even the more expensive slip ons aren't doing it for you you may need more support in the shoe design.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I have 'Grover' loafers from Dune London in a variety of colours and they are incredibly comfortable and super cute. All their shoes/boots seem to be of good quality. You can buy direct from them, they are also stocked by ASOS and Next.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I always wear ankle boots at work...find them much more comfortable as you can get away with going up a size if needs be.

My boots live under my desk and wear trainers for commuting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Are most people in the same position as me, or what do other women even wear to work? I've been working from home since last March and whenever we go back I'll need new shoes, but I honestly can't remember what other people wear!

Heels are completely out - my toes would just fall off at this stage.

I basically need to wear a more robust shoe. I've definitely seen some women at work wear loafers, but I'm so unfashionable I really don't think I could pull them off.

Anyone else in an office job that wears women's shoes - what do you do??

Thanks

I wear whatever suits the outfit. I can ger away with just about anything but I'd never wear 6 euro shoes. There will be no support in them. Fitflops do some very comfortable presentable shoes. I despise their sandals and yet I ended up buying a pair of their very comfortable loafers. There are plenty of ballet flats in that link.

https://www.fitflop.com/eu/en/shop/womens-shoes-eu?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCktldZTJ6YFy0ZargljNynwUv3LJBLElecX0A5RE_RHGs977TBvcL4BoCpCsQAvD_BwE

As an aside I never understand why people refuse to put some effort into their work outfits. They are the clothes or shoes you spend the most time in. Make sure it's something you feel good in.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    As an aside I never understand why people refuse to put some effort into their work outfits. They are the clothes or shoes you spend the most time in. Make sure it's something you feel good in.

It's not a refusal at all - especially since I started earning good money, I'll go online now and again to look for something that I really love, something I'll really feel good in, but I just don't have any talent for picking stuff out. I also feel like my body shape is very difficult to find stuff for. I'll go shopping for hours and come home with nothing; if anything, feeling fairly deflated about the whole thing. I do find it a bit easier to shop for non-work clothes, but honestly until lockdown I rarely got a chance to just dress casually.

Maybe once I get the shoes sorted I'll come back here for more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

It's not a refusal at all - especially since I started earning good money, I'll go online now and again to look for something that I really love, something I'll really feel good in, but I just don't have any talent for picking stuff out. I also feel like my body shape is very difficult to find stuff for. I'll go shopping for hours and come home with nothing; if anything, feeling fairly deflated about the whole thing. I do find it a bit easier to shop for non-work clothes, but honestly until lockdown I rarely got a chance to just dress casually.

Maybe once I get the shoes sorted I'll come back here for more help!

Sorry that came across harsher than intended and it was more a general observation. I came across a lot of people who buy the most basic stuff for work and put a lot more effort into going out and casual outfits. Except considering how much time we spend in work those are the hardest working clothes and should be relatively comfortable. It's not even about the design. My feet swell in plastic shoes, I couldn't get away by buying 6 Euro shoes without my feet feeling very tired every time I wear them. What you buy might be a bit hit and miss sometimes but eventually you will have shoes which are more comfortable to wear.

Anyway French philosophy is to have one statement item and I like that. You can go for very simple outfit and then add knock out scarf or bag. It saves you worrying about clothes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I found many ladies with strap pump heels and they walk comfortably. Yes, the heels of the shoes are not much high. Similarly, sandals like high wedge sandals and platform ones are also popular but I personally prefer cosy sneakers. I think your office's dress code would also matter here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

I swear by Aldo loafer style pumps and Aldo ankle boots. Their shoes are so comfortable and I never find there's a "break in" period. Their stores closed in Ireland last year but they're still on ASOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I swear by Aldo loafer style pumps and Aldo ankle boots. Their shoes are so comfortable and I never find there's a "break in" period. Their stores closed in Ireland last year but they're still on ASOS.

Aldo offered very good value for comfort and style indeed! I switched to Ecco since Aldo left, perhaps a little less flair in styling but I find the quality even better (it's worth it to wait for sales, they are good).

OP it pays off to have a favourite brand, it's easier to get the sizing right and to have a "capsule shoe rack" so you split the wear between several pairs rather than wearing one pair into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Op many people think m&s are a bit old fashioned but these leather ballerina pumps got five star reviews for quality & comfort & come in a few colours:
    https://www.marksandspencer.com/ie/leather-high-cut-ballerina-pumps/p/clp60138726?color=NAVY#intid=prodColourId-60202886

Or these from dunnes - good price for leather shoes:
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/leather-bead-tab-loafer/4121867

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/leather-brogue-shoe/4121705?colour=Gold

Advertisement