Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic (fictional) violence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭eire4

mzungu wrote: »
    In some cases censorship has been used as a way to suppress alternate ideas or indeed impartial home truths (think Stalinist Russia). How can one measure the negative influence of any form of media? You really can't. That means we have no idea whether or not its overall impact can be a negative for society. Even theorists in this area have problems. For example, Stuart Hall and John Fiske. Taking the ideas of former like "encoding and decoding" whereby one part accepts the belief that the audience understand and engage the medium but also in another accepts that at times they do not. There is kernel of truth in there, mainly, IMO, that different people can interpret media in different ways.

I do think panic about movies and computer games is manufactured moral panic and serves a purpose other than the protection of society and our morals.

Go back seventy years and people would have been saying the same thing about The Beatles.

I would tend to agree with you there. If violent films and computer games were the source of much of the violence in the the world today wow the whole world would look like quite the mess. The reality is this is not the case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

mzungu wrote: »

Go back seventy years and people would have been saying the same thing about The Beatles.
    And "The Pill" (although not media).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

eire4 wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with you there. If violent films and computer games were the source of much of the violence in the the world today wow the whole world would look like quite the mess. The reality is this is not the case.

Indeed, technology makes for an easy scapegoat. I'm sure something else will get the blame in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Black Swan wrote: »
    And "The Pill" (although not media).

Not a million miles away. I must try find it, but there was some philosopher or sociologist that posited that any kind of pill or medicine we take can be seen as technology, just the same as a computer.

Must try find that actually, I remember finding it a good read.

Advertisement