Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Aughrim to Dublin

Options
  • 21-06-2020 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey

So my partner and I are considering moving to Aughrim in wicklow. We have always been drawn to the quiet life of the outdoors and absolutely love spending time in wicklow. Were currently living between dunboyne and Maynooth in a quiet area and love it but unfortunately we can't afford to buy out here.

I work as a nurse so I won't be commuting during rush hour traffic. My shifts begin at 7 30am and finish around 8pm, sometimes 6 30pm. I work in cabra so I don't have to get into the heart of the city. Naturally, the commute is something of a concern, it would be about an 1hr 10mins each way, I'm just wondering if this is lunacy and if others who have a similar commuting experience can share their views...

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Interested in this myself.

One thing: if you are working in Cabra and commuting from Wicklow you will be travelling through the city (South Side to North side) to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ginasdnb

jim salter wrote: »
    Interested in this myself.

One thing: if you are working in Cabra and commuting from Wicklow you will be travelling through the city (South Side to North side) to get to work.

Hey jim

We were just up viewing a house in aughrim yesterday and whatever way we came back down the m50 (now I'm no good with directions) but I could come around by blanchardstown and down the navan road. I reckon I'd take this route instead of going through the city itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

Are you mad, 2 hours and 20 minutes commute every day! Move jobs first, then look for a house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Are you mad, 2 hours and 20 minutes commute every day! Move jobs first, then look for a house.

You would be doing well to go that quickly. Perhaps at certain times if lucky. Even a small issue particularly on the M50 (which is very common) and the commute will take far longer.

I would not do this due to the impact on quality of life and the need to constantly replace and pour money into my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

ginasdnb wrote: »
    Hey

So my partner and I are considering moving to Aughrim in wicklow. We have always been drawn to the quiet life of the outdoors and absolutely love spending time in wicklow. Were currently living between dunboyne and Maynooth in a quiet area and love it but unfortunately we can't afford to buy out here.

I work as a nurse so I won't be commuting during rush hour traffic. My shifts begin at 7 30am and finish around 8pm, sometimes 6 30pm. I work in cabra so I don't have to get into the heart of the city. Naturally, the commute is something of a concern, it would be about an 1hr 10mins each way, I'm just wondering if this is lunacy and if others who have a similar commuting experience can share their views...

Thanks so much.

Hi

I know two people that live in Greystones that traveled daily to Finglas for work. It's not pleasant but they did it an one still does. There is no easy way to go that distance but the only up side is that I believe less people will be using the roads due to work from home so it might be marginally better.

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Be aware too that traffic is still reduced due to no schools and people working from home so average commute times will be less than reality. When things are normal the N11 northbound, M50 northbound, and Navan Road will all be horrendous every morning. Navan road does be back to Dunboyne most mornings from 7am onwards.

Cluster wrote: »
    Hi

I know two people that live in Greystones that traveled daily to Finglas for work. It's not pleasant but they did it an one still does. There is no easy way to go that distance but the only up side is that I believe less people will be using the roads due to work from home so it might be marginally better.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that I usually work nights 8pm until 7am and when I am working during the week it's never more than 2 days of the week, I generally work weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that I usually work nights 8pm until 7am and when I am working during the week it's never more than 2 days of the week, I generally work weekends.

Well then you only have to worry about that then. Driving at that time is fine (nights)

Now you only have to worry about your partners commute.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I live in that neck of the woods bit further down than aughrim.
    You're deranged that drive is soul killing and drains you of all energy. I mean that in the nicest way op but its a killer.
    Did it to maynooth and various parts of Dublin its honestly not worth it op. You'd actually be surprised at what traffic can be like on the motorway at that time and back roads are a serious hazard in the winter.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I live in that neck of the woods bit further down than aughrim.
    You're deranged that drive is soul killing and drains you of all energy. I mean that in the nicest way op but its a killer.
    Did it to maynooth and various parts of Dublin its honestly not worth it op. You'd actually be surprised at what traffic can be like on the motorway at that time and back roads are a serious hazard in the winter.

Thanks Mjolnir for your reply.

I appreciate the input, I just want to be cautious before we make a decision. My shifts tend to be at weekends and mostly night duty (8pm until 7am) I would never usually work more than 2 weekdays during the week as I work shifts.

I supoose there is opportunity for me to work in wicklow down the line or, reduce my hours in Dublin. My partner does the majority of his work from home. Ideally, we'd love to live in wicklow with a smaller mortgage, as opposed to spending mad money on a house in Dublin/ meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Thanks Mjolnir for your reply.

I appreciate the input, I just want to be cautious before we make a decision. My shifts tend to be at weekends and mostly night duty (8pm until 7am) I would never usually work more than 2 weekdays during the week as I work shifts.

I supoose there is opportunity for me to work in wicklow down the line or, reduce my hours in Dublin. My partner does the majority of his work from home. Ideally, we'd love to live in wicklow with a smaller mortgage, as opposed to spending mad money on a house in Dublin/ meath.

Even with no traffic that journey over and over is a killer.
    Have you done the maths on how much fuel will cost add in extra services and wear and tear items.

Honestly having lived in wicklow, Dublin and maynooth, wicklows grand but not a lot going on. Around here we'd slag aughrim but it is grand, be weary of wifi.
    There's a massive difference in house prices and county wexford (apart from gorey- its a "commuter town") is cheaper again and grand.

If your partner can work from home mostly and you can cut the commute I can't see why you shouldn't go for it.
    If going for an estate have a good nosey round they can be polar opposites in the space of a few hundred metres. I've left my wallet in my unlocked car on the passenger seat and not a bother.
    Across a wall in another estate it would be gone and that estate gets a lot of raids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I think it's madness. 1:10 is optimistic, I'd say you'll be in your car at least 3 hours every day. I'm not sure what the prices are like, but Louth would be closer to Cabra and probably cheaper than Meath?

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Even with no traffic that journey over and over is a killer.
    Have you done the maths on how much fuel will cost add in extra services and wear and tear items.

Honestly having lived in wicklow, Dublin and maynooth, wicklows grand but not a lot going on. Around here we'd slag aughrim but it is grand, be weary of wifi.
    There's a massive difference in house prices and county wexford (apart from gorey- its a "commuter town") is cheaper again and grand.

If your partner can work from home mostly and you can cut the commute I can't see why you shouldn't go for it.
    If going for an estate have a good nosey round they can be polar opposites in the space of a few hundred metres. I've left my wallet in my unlocked car on the passenger seat and not a bother.
    Across a wall in another estate it would be gone and that estate gets a lot of raids.

Yeah it will naturally be pricy to travel, I tend to work 7 nights on and have around 10 days off at times, so I'm just hoping it'll be worth it. We're obviously going into this eyes wide open and want to know the possible challenges that might lay ahead.

The house isn't in an estate, it's a little cottage on a few acres of land, which is something we've always wanted. We'd never get anything like it in other parts of the country.

Thanks for your help.

fjon wrote: »
    I think it's madness. 1:10 is optimistic, I'd say you'll be in your car at least 3 hours every day. I'm not sure what the prices are like, but Louth would be closer to Cabra and probably cheaper than Meath?

Louth isn't somewhere we'd like to live, we always said we wouldn't plan our home around our work, as it's likely to change. We just want to go into this eyes wide open. The house were potentially buying is beautiful, there's nothing like it for the price,anywhere else moderately close to Dublin. Like I said. I tend to work nights and weekends so I'm hoping this will work in my favour. We have a lot of time before we make a decision but we're just being cautious and want to know what we're getting into before we commit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think it's madness. 1:10 is optimistic, I'd say you'll be in your car at least 3 hours every day.

I live near Greystones and my office is in Tallaght. Although a very commutable distance a small issue of the M50 often adds over an hour to my far shorter commute. I would not even consider this move, no quality of life.

In the winter getting to work from Aughrim is always not possible due to snow. Add to that, the risk of crashing due to tiredness of driving so far for many years is significant.

Having said that it is lovely area to live in so I can see the attraction.

Louth isn't somewhere we'd like to live, we always said we wouldn't plan our home around our work, as it's likely to change. We just want to go into this eyes wide open. The house were potentially buying is beautiful, there's nothing like it for the price,anywhere else moderately close to Dublin. Like I said. I tend to work nights and weekends so I'm hoping this will work in my favour. We have a lot of time before we make a decision but we're just being cautious and want to know what we're getting into before we commit.

Ok, fair enough. There are some nice places around that part of Wicklow and I could see how you could fall in love with somewhere there.
    I commuted from Bray to Blanchardstown for many years and on a normal day the drive was a pain. On a day where there was a crash (happens more than you think), or bad weather, it was absolutely painful. I was travelling outside normal rush hour times too, it was just mostly the distance that took time. It's a pity you can't get an idea of what the commute is like under normal circumstances as you could try it and see how you feel about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

1:10 is incredibly optimistic, and when you are working days it will be easily 2 hours each way. From Aughrim to the n11 isnt a great road and it has a lot of slow moving traffic to get stuck behind.

Ok, fair enough. There are some nice places around that part of Wicklow and I could see how you could fall in love with somewhere there.
    I commuted from Bray to Blanchardstown for many years and on a normal day the drive was a pain. On a day where there was a crash (happens more than you think), or bad weather, it was absolutely painful. I was travelling outside normal rush hour times too, it was just mostly the distance that took time. It's a pity you can't get an idea of what the commute is like under normal circumstances as you could try it and see how you feel about it.

Yeah I supoose it isn't feasible at the moment to get a real idea of what the commute is like, given the current circumstances. It's a tough decision to make, in theory it's not that far away but considering crashes, traffic etc it's miles away. It's just a case of deciding between convenience or living in a dream home and being willing to put in a few years commuting until I find a closer job. Can I ask what times you were commuting at?

Yeah I supoose it isn't feasible at the moment to get a real idea of what the commute is like, given the current circumstances. It's a tough decision to make, in theory it's not that far away but considering crashes, traffic etc it's miles away. It's just a case of deciding between convenience or living in a dream home and being willing to put in a few years commuting until I find a closer job. Can I ask what times you were commuting at?

I was going in for 10, and leaving at 1830ish. I’d say I was averaging 1:15 door to door going in and about 1:30 going home (the M50/M11 merge is bad from 1600-1900 on weekdays). Note that going into Cabra this way you will also need to take into account the Navan Road which is often really bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I travel Aughrim to Bray every day. To be in work for 8.30 I have to leave by 7.15 at the latest. The traffic on the n11 is horrific during term time.

Add that to getting stuck behind a cement lorry or woodfab lorry and your easily adding 20 extra minutes.

I love Aughrim and can totally understand the appeal but I think your commute would be soul destroying after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Hey jim

We were just up viewing a house in aughrim yesterday and whatever way we came back down the m50 (now I'm no good with directions) but I could come around by blanchardstown and down the navan road. I reckon I'd take this route instead of going through the city itself.

While I love the idea of moving to Wicklow, realistically getting from there to Cabra will be a nightmare (as most others have said).

I live in the Dublin 15 area and drive to Dublin 7 every day (when we were in the office)and that can take up to 40 mins and up to 90 mins home. Have worked in other parts of teh city (south side included) and the Navan road can be an absolute nightmare, right down into Cabra and onto the NCR, have also worked by the docks and teh same thing.

I really don't believe the commute would be worth it and as another poster pointed out, the traffic is reduced now (and even at that there is build up in the Dubin 15 area now).

Hope you get the best outcome for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really could not contemplate that commute from deep Wicklow to Cabra.

But each to their own I suppose. Not for me ever. Despite the lovely Wicklow surroundings.

Interesting to see we have all the sections of the journey covered here. If you were to make the journey at rush hour time (and outside of “Covid world”) it would take 3:10 hours one way from aughrim to Dublin 7. I Realise OP won’t be doing it at peak times, but still it’s a crazy journey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Kaylami wrote: »
    I travel Aughrim to Bray every day. To be in work for 8.30 I have to leave by 7.15 at the latest. The traffic on the n11 is horrific during term time.

Add that to getting stuck behind a cement lorry or woodfab lorry and your easily adding 20 extra minutes.

I love Aughrim and can totally understand the appeal but I think your commute would be soul destroying after a while.

Aughrim to Bray is probably doable, but not enticing either.

Going from Aughrim to Cabra is a totally different animal altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I can work from home now. I'd consider moving down the country to get a nice house and cut my mortgage. I wouldn't be doing it if it meant a 4 hours commuting a day a 6 euro on the M50. That's crazy really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I know someone who is from there and on rare occasion has to go home and commute up not to far from Cabra.

It's not something you'd want daily. You're doing close to the length of the M50 and /or getting off one of the worst junctions if Blanchardstown for sheer volume.

Aughrim is lovely mind, but would be a tough ok slog, tougher still in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Aughrim to Bray is probably doable, but not enticing either.

Going from Aughrim to Cabra is a totally different animal altogether.

completely agree Spanish Eyes. I can't even see me keeping up that commute long term.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I know someone who is from there and on rare occasion has to go home and commute up not to far from Cabra.

It's not something you'd want daily. You're doing close to the length of the M50 and /or getting off one of the worst junctions if Blanchardstown for sheer volume.

Aughrim is lovely mind, but would be a tough ok slog, tougher still in winter.

Thanks weepsie. I reckon I will get a job in wexford/wicklow boarder or Newcastle in wicklow. As I said, I'm a nurse so don't necessairly have to stay in Dublin. It might just be temporary until we find our bearings. My other half lectures and is rarely in, the majority of his work is online. Also, we have no kids so that won't be an issue. Wicklow is just so beautiful, a place I've always dreamed of living in. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

You should perhaps consider traveling further down the M11 that takes the same time as going inland to Aughrim , a lot safer to be traveling on motorway than country icy unsalted roads in winter , and more predictable journey times . The biggest problem I’d have with aughrim is only really one road in and one road out which can become very tedious, unless you go over the desolation of the mountains. I’d say try this commute in dark winter before you commit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Yea Dublin to Aughrim is the same as Dublin to Gorey timewise. That road from the m11 out to Aughrim can be very time consuming.
    But if you have your heart set on the property than maybe give it a go with a view to moving your job closer.
    Also I would suggest the biggest most comfortable safe and economical car you can afford as that will make your commute a lot easier.
    From the m50 to cabra I think I might go off at Palmerstown and up through the Park to avoid the toll.Personal choice really.

Advertisement