Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband wicklow town

Options
  • 26-02-2020 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, can anyone give me insight into high speed broadband available in wicklow town in new build houses?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Virgin Media or Siro from Sky/Vodafone/Digiweb would be your best options.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Virgin Media in very few places in the town. Mostly what's available is Eir's creaking, over used, painfully slow Fibre......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I’d have thought the new builds would future proof considering the providers mentioned above have had to retro fit there infrastructure into the older estates.

Our estate is about 15 years old and got Virgin Media / Siro installed late last year.

Batesy wrote: »

Our estate is about 15 years old and got Virgin Media / Siro installed late last year.

Ah yeah, but you live up the posh end ;)

Gonna hijack the thread now...

Never heard of Siro; how are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gonna hijack the thread now...

Never heard of Siro; how are they?

Siro is the branding method behind using fibre optics using the ESB network. You can't buy broadband off them. You need to go through their resellers which you'll find on their site. For all intents and purposes I've heard they're very good 1Gbps speeds are not to be snuffed at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Batesy wrote: »
    I’d have thought the new builds would future proof considering the providers mentioned above have had to retro fit there infrastructure into the older estates.

Our estate is 4 years old, it was dug up just over a year ago by virgin and then dug up again six months ago by esb siro. Dont think the developers are bothered with future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 for once in your life

Fanta24 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone give me insight into high speed broadband available in wicklow town in new build houses?

Many thanks

I have virgin media for 2 months now. Speed is decent , it’s supposed to be 500mb but I get 380 standing near the modem and much less around the house. We’re working from home , doing zoom calls, emails and smart tv . It’s fine for us.
    We’re in Meadowgate (new estate) and we have fibre to the door

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Calibos

marcus1981 wrote: »
    I have virgin media for 2 months now. Speed is decent , it’s supposed to be 500mb but I get 380 standing near the modem and much less around the house. We’re working from home , doing zoom calls, emails and smart tv . It’s fine for us.
    We’re in Meadowgate (new estate) and we have fibre to the door

Its supposed to be 500mbit to the Modem/WIFI Router. Virgin nor any other provider can guarantee what speed you get from the Modem/Router to your devices over WIFI as that is subject to many external factors like poorly shielded microwave ovens, interfering baby monitors, high density of neighbours WIFI signals sharing the airwaves with yours, the thickness of your house walls blocking wifi signal to the farthest rooms in your house. The 500mbit is only guaranteed over gigabit ethernet cable. So if you connected a laptop directly to the router with an ethernet cable and were still getting less than 500mbit on a speedtest, that would be an actionable complaint to Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rollingstones

Folks, we’re moving into one of the new builds in Wicklow town soon. Any suggestions on broadband providers and quality?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

SIRO is in most estates now I would think. They seem to have done a lot of installs in last year or so. We have a 500mb package with Vodafone and speeds are pretty much that all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rollingstones

Thanks Sumo12. Do you reckon the super will be sufficient for 2 people working from home simultaneously on video calls etc? Thanks!

Advertisement