Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Aughrim to Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

Aughrim is one of the nicest villages in Wicklow, apart from its natural beauty it is remote enough to not have become a commuter area and maintains a local feel. It has a great community spirit built largely around a very active tity towns, and it punches above its weight in sports in the county.

Apart from the commuting to Cabra nightmare that others have pointed out, many people in Aughrim will find themselves driving into Arklow (15-20 mins) or Wicklow (25-30 mins) on a very regular basis for shopping, entertainment, schools etc. But thats the same for Avoca, Redcross, Annucurra, Tinahely, Rathdrum etc.

There are trident holiday homes beside Lawlesses Hotel in Aughrim, maybe rent one for a couple of weeks and live from there and get a feel for the area. I know it will cost a few quid, but consider it a holiday mixed with investigation - in the long run it may be worth it.

Best of luck.

It sounds like this house has won you over already!
    I have a friend who lives in Aughrim. Works in Dublin. But is looking at transferring to Wexford Town. The commute would be similar timewise but it's a lot less soul destroying actually driving, as apposed to moving a mile every ten minutes, which can be the M50/M11 at rush hour.
    I suppose I would advise looking to switch job soon as you can, if you make the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

It's a lovely area and I can see the appeal but there's no way I'd do that commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cluster wrote: »
    Hi

I know two people that live in Greystones that traveled daily to Finglas for work. It's not pleasant but they did it an one still does. There is no easy way to go that distance but the only up side is that I believe less people will be using the roads due to work from home so it might be marginally better.

I hope this helps.

I don't see how you can compare Greystones to Aughrim as it's right beside the M11.

OP, I would definitely not follow your plan, the M50 is a gamble every day and when lockdown ends and economy picks up then it will just get busier again.

Your work shifts seem long enough and your commute will make it even longer and it will wear you down eventually.

If you really want to live in Aughrim (and I can understand why, it's a lovely spot) then you need to try and find a job closer.

It really would make a huge difference to your quality of life and stress.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see how you can compare Greystones to Aughrim as it's right beside the M11.

OP, I would definitely not follow your plan, the M50 is a gamble every day and when lockdown ends and economy picks up then it will just get busier again.

Your work shifts seem long enough and your commute will make it even longer and it will wear you down eventually.

If you really want to live in Aughrim (and I can understand why, it's a lovely spot) then you need to try and find a job closer.

It really would make a huge difference to your quality of life and stress.

Best of luck.

Its not comparable, you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

We moved down a to Aughrim a few years ago from Dublin and I commute to Dublin 6 daily - it takes one hour 20 mins at that is leaving at 0615 to beat the traffic (pre-Covid) . It is a great place to live as others have said and there are people down here working in the airport, Blachardstown etc so it is do-able (most these people work shifts so travel off peak). Just think long and hard about the commute - some people can do it no problem, for others it breaks their hearts!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pre Covid, Daily commute Woodenbridge to Leopardstown. Handy on motorbike. Relax and listen to podcasts / books. Actually quite enjoyed it.

I would not do Cabra though, Its just too far. My commute between 40-50 minutes. Traffic is inconsequential on this mode of vehicle ,Training dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Unless you have a helicopter or a Star Trek transporter its not an option. Throw in a bit of ice or rain and the schools back etc and that could take you 2 1/2 hours each way. 3 hours sometimes.

Even on normal days if you've to be in for 7.30, you need to leave at 6am. And if you finish at 8pm you'll be home for 9.30pm just to be up at 5/5.30am to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP the house and location may be heaven but your life will be hell , don't do it, you will regret.
    Apart from the awful traffic on the M50 which grows year on year apart from now with COVID, its going to be busier as time goes by.
    The roads in that area in winter can be treacherous and impassable in bad weather.
    I would get the job sorted out first, it might not be as easy as you think or where you want it to be.
    There is a reason prices there are so affordable despite being in such a lovely scenic area, think about it.

I have somewhere like it in Wicklow in mind for my retirement and honestly it will just have to wait until then.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement