Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrightbus in administration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I really feel sorry for these folk.

They may forget about engineering jobs in such a small town. It reminds me of being made redundant in our recession years ago.

Literally 1000s of construction workers all trying to find work at the same time. And no building anywhere.

The only way to stay afloat and self dependent is to travel or re-skill.

These men wont last long on the dole, most have got up for work 5 days a week since they left school.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

“Do you love me more than these buses?’ I said, ‘yeah, I do’. So God said ‘I want you to feed my lambs and take care of my sheep’.”

Well you know what happens to sheep - they get fleeced!

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

gmisk wrote: »
    Nice things about Ballymena....hmm...the shops?
    Especially the tk Maxx...bar that it's a struggle

I hear the Wetherspoons there is quite a good spot. Probably the only pub in that town you could walk into with a reasonable expectation of walking back out the door in a pleasant mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What is the current status of Airlink with Dublin Bus? Was that planned to have new buses coming in from Wrights later this year for the Airlink rebrand?

Also could the new 24hr upgrade to the 41 be delayed this year because of a lack of new vehicles for Dublin Bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The area around mid Ulster apparently has a lot of heavy engineering companies, and successful ones at that.

So to say the whole province is a basket case is slightly incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also could the new 24hr upgrade to the 41 be delayed this year because of a lack of new vehicles for Dublin Bus?

I don't see why it would impact this service? Most DB buses are currently parked up overnight in the depots, so plenty there for use overnight.

Yeah but DB are very slowly getting rid of their older bus fleet as well with their remaining AV's & AX's.

Will they be allowed to keep them in service for a little while longer while the NTA tries to sort out what had happened with recent orders with Wrights. I seen BBC Newsline reports this evening that there are still a small number of DB SG's still parked in the Wrights factory car park. Is their any word on current orders being fulfilled for the NTA for any new buses arriving soon until they will get further word from Wrights on Wednesday?

Do BÉ have any outstanding orders for new Streetlites to operate new local bus services in Navan town?

There is also the issue of GAI receiving 8 new DB SG's from the NTA this year because they somehow had a shortage of buses to operate their routes.

Were they in need of receiving any more new SG's from Wrights in future or was their new fleet order enough for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Wrightbus worker statement:-

https://twitter.com/vsirnate/status/1177599379445833729?s=19

On a separate note it's interesting to note that NI Water who are recruiting at the moment have specifically requested WB workers to send them their CVs.

Yeah but DB are very slowly getting rid of their older bus fleet as well with their remaining AV's & AX's.

Will they be allowed to keep them in service for a little while longer while the NTA tries to sort out what had happened with recent orders with Wrights.

They may stay longer now if the NTA agree to extend the 14 year deadline.

I seen BBC Newsline reports this evening that there are still a small number of DB SG's still parked in the Wrights factory car park. Is their any word on current orders being fulfilled for the NTA for any new buses arriving soon until they will get further word from Wrights on Wednesday?

A BE VWD was the last bus to get out. Other buses in there may or may not be released to the NTA depending on what happens next. SFAIK as I know they are not paid for until delivered so would not be liable to the NTA once gone into administration.

Do BÉ have any outstanding orders for new Streetlites to operate new local bus services in Navan town?

I think most if not all Streetlites have been delivered, but many DDs were still to be delivered.

There is also the issue of GAI receiving 8 new DB SG's from the NTA this year because they somehow had a shortage of buses to operate their routes.

Were they in need of receiving any more new SG's from Wrights in future or was their new fleet order enough for the year?

150 buses were ordered this year, they couldn't add to the order if needed even if they wanted to as they have passed the diesel only cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

GM228 wrote: »
    They were at research/experimental stages I believe, if only they had concentrated on green energy and not green pastures...

They were involved in a project to produce hydrogen powered buses for TransLink in Belfast.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    They were involved in a project to produce hydrogen powered buses for TransLink in Belfast.

They produced a demo for Translink last year and next year were to produce 20 for TFL and 15 for First Aberdeen, don't think there were any further plans for Translink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They produced a demo for Translink last year and next year were to produce 20 for TFL and 15 for First Aberdeen, don't think there were any further plans for Translink.

There were/are. It's part of an Interreg funded hydrogen project which also involved a hydrogen refueling station being constructed

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PVNevin

The unions stop workers from organising.
    The unions are in effect employment agencies for the employer.
    Workers must set up their own rank-and-file committees to fight for their conditions and rights.
    These committees must have nothing whatsoever to do with the union.
    Workers are on one side. On the other are the employers, the state and the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wrightbus worker statement:-

https://twitter.com/vsirnate/status/1177599379445833729?s=19

On a separate note it's interesting to note that NI Water who are recruiting at the moment have specifically requested WB workers to send them their CVs.

No sane company is interested in some backwater located high cost low tech manufacturing set up with all the issues of Brexit, their 15th century religious bigotry issues. They’ll let it go tits up then pick over the carcass with the liquidators.

That’s where N Ireland is at alright- private sector wealth creating jobs vanishing with only sone state and local service ones

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They may stay longer now if the NTA agree to extend the 14 year deadline.

I'd see no reason why they wouldn't. There is no law on how old buses can be, just that they are road worthy. It is more of a policy that both the NTA and DB/BE want to keep the fleet relatively young for reliability.

If it is a choice between keeping some buses a bit longer or not having enough to operate all services, it is an easy decision.

I do wonder if they have gotten a bit lucky with the timing here, that the previous DB orders had already largely been delivered and that they were gearing up for the next order of hybrids. Of course no one wanted this to happen, but the timing could have been much worse, say 2 years ago when they were expanding the fleet, etc.
    A BE VWD was the last bus to get out. Other buses in there may or may not be released to the NTA depending on what happens next. SFAIK as I know they are not paid for until delivered so would not be liable to the NTA once gone into administration.

If they are done or very nearly complete. Perhaps the NTA can pick them up on the cheap from the administrator.

Reading another forum, it seems that a total of 621 SG's were supposed to be delivered. So far 601 have been delivered. So looks like DB/GA might be 20 SG's short. I'm not sure how true this is, just based on others comments.

A pity for DB/GA, but certainly not a major issue. I'm sure they can pick out 20 of the best quality older buses to hold onto for a bit longer and then increase the next hybrid order by 20.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

bk wrote: »
    I do wonder if they have gotten a bit lucky with the timing here, that the previous DB orders had already largely been delivered and that they were gearing up for the next order of hybrids. Of course no one wanted this to happen, but the timing could have been much worse, say 2 years ago when they were expanding the fleet, etc.

Depends how you define lucky, sure it stops deliveries, but at the end of the day it would be worse if the NTA had ordered integral double deckers through Wright directly, but they haven't and their contract was with Volvo and therefore Volvo will need to sort this out and compensate the NTA or come up with a solution to this issue.
    If they are done or very nearly complete. Perhaps the NTA can pick them up on the cheap from the administrator.

The NTA's contract isn't with Wrightbus for double deck vehicles, it is with Volvo and Wrightbus are merely a subcontractor to Volvo so I would assume that any unfinished vehicles built on Volvo chassis would probably be something that would be down to Volvo to sort out. The full service spares, warranty and maintenance contract for these is with Volvo too, with Wrightbus being the subcontractors for any work Volvo can't do directly.

The Streetlites caught up in this situation being a contract with Wrightbus however, would be a different kettle of fish completely and something they may well have to deal with the administrators about, although often vehicles are not paid for until they are delivered so if that is the case then the NTA simply won't pay for them.

Jeff Wright saying his family are receiving death threats now.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1177869905686863872?s=19

I think he may have bigger worries ahead if the financial affairs of Wrightbus and his other companies are investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,859 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jeff Wright saying his family are receiving death threats now.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1177869905686863872?s=19

I think he may have bigger worries ahead if the financial affairs of Wrightbus and his other companies are investigated.

He has a fairly powerful 'shareholder' on his side though. :D

Actually now that I think of it, will this hand AlexanderDennis the Hybrid contract?

Obviously the Wrightbus option is a non starter now (and it had issues with being a mild hybrid anyway). But I forgot that the Volvo entry was a Wright Gemini body on a Volvo B5LH! Obviously that isn't going to be a runner now either.

Perhaps Volvo can offer a B5LH with MCV or AD bodywork instead?

Though that might delay the hybrid order further.

• Advertisement

Actually now that I think of it, will this hand AlexanderDennis the Hybrid contract?

Obviously the Wrightbus option is a non starter now (and it had issues with being a mild hybrid anyway). But I forgot that the Volvo entry was a Wright Gemini body on a Volvo B5LH! Obviously that isn't going to be a runner now either.

Though that might delay the hybrid order further.

A Volvo EvoSeti could be a great choice in a right-hand drive double deck fleet for Dublin Bus & Go-Ahead in future.

Has anyone been one of them with any of the British bus operators to see what they are like?

ADL are not keen to build on standard Volvo chassis these days as Volvo are a direct competitor but they are happy to build on Volvo Hybrid chassis and have done a number in London.
    A Volvo EvoSeti could be a great choice in a right-hand drive double deck fleet for Dublin Bus & Go-Ahead in future.

Question is would MCV have the capacity to be building a couple of hundred vehicles a year for the NTA, because that is what it would entail I would think.

Yes, it seems like Volvo's tactic of partnering with body builders in the RHD market for buses is sort of falling apart now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the potential buyers for Wrights.

Perhaps Vovlo will buy and ramp up MCV or perhaps they will start making their own full buses for the RHD double deck market. It doesn't seem their current strategy can continue.

But all of that will take time. Unless MCV can scale up quickly, I'd assume ADL will get the hybrid bid by default.

Yes, it seems like Volvo's tactic of partnering with body builders in the RHD market for buses is sort of falling apart now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the potential buyers for Wrights.

Perhaps Vovlo will buy and ramp up MCV or perhaps they will start making their own full buses for the RHD double deck market. It doesn't seem their current strategy can continue.

But all of that will take time. Unless MCV can scale up quickly, I'd assume ADL will get the hybrid bid by default.

Would anyone buy it if it was outside the EU though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Those curious about MCV build quality can actually try it here. There’s a Bernard Kavanagh owned single deck 2019 Volvo MCV Evora on the Thurles-Newport-Limerick LocalLink. It’s really an awful bus to put on that road but when it’s in use Urban Thurles/Limerick it’s a grand bus to travel on. Windows and ceiling height are a lot higher than the wrights single decks in use limerick. Pity that road will absolutely destroy it in a few weeks. It’s what Local Link/NTA required in the tender though.
    I believe J.J Kavanagh has two of these buses as well

Would anyone buy it if it was outside the EU though?

True, but there would be some logic to it.

The point would be to gain the ability to build RHD double deckers. The majority of those are destined for the UK itself, followed by Honk Kong and Singapore, which are obviously also outside of the EU, so operating from a Brexit UK for them might actually suit.

That just leaves Ireland as the odd man out as the only RHD double decker market left in the EU!

Though the volatility of Sterling and other Brexit madness might make it a non starter as you say.

I suspect it is all the weirdness around donations to the church and the family links in the area that were probably the bigger issue then even Brexit.

I suspect it is all the weirdness around donations to the church and the family links in the area that were probably the bigger issue then even Brexit.

They also didn't want to sell the land that the factory was on, they wanted to lease it to those who bought Wrightbus up for what is believed to be around £1m or so a year, although I've heard bigger amounts being mentioned as well.

That is apparently why some buyers lost interest.

True, but there would be some logic to it.

The point would be to gain the ability to build RHD double deckers. The majority of those are destined for the UK itself, followed by Honk Kong and Singapore, which are obviously also outside of the EU, so operating from a Brexit UK for them might actually suit.

That just leaves Ireland as the odd man out as the only RHD double decker market left in the EU!

Though the volatility of Sterling and other Brexit madness might make it a non starter as you say.

If they are sustainable outside the EU seems an awful shame to see them go. Sounds like they turned out good product and only for mismanagement wouldn't be in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Years of paying union subs was sure worthwhile to these workers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

salonfire wrote: »
    Years of paying union subs was sure worthwhile to these workers

Yes it was. It kept their conditions and pay and a good level.

However , Unfortunately the union cant stop the management from making a complete balls up of the operation.

Advertisement