Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I fecked my banana skin into the river.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Can we have a poll here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭josip

not feel a bit bad because nature
    Its biodegradable. And I frequently climb and hike.

So is sh1te, would leave one of those up there too beside the path?
    What's the problem bringing the skin back down? You're still carrying less weight than you brought up.

But litter doesn't look good because it is biodegradable.

If you frequently climb and hike, you would know very well that most others who do so object to the trail of banana skins and fruit peel that daytrippers throw around, and you would also know the old one about leaving nothing behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Raw organic waste such as banna skins and apple cores are better served thrown into a ditch or somewhere it can decompose back into the land, rather tahn a landfill which it will serve no purpose.

If you are on a trip outdoors, feck it into a ditch where it's not an eyesore. I am more worried about the cans of coke and tayto wrappers you see up on top of certain mountains around Dublin/Wicklow. Took a bag of rubbish off Djouce one day... fairly annoying to look at.

futurama-fry-billy-west.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭lau1247

if you do the same inside your house in any room and throwing peels etc around, how do you feel about it after a pile build up OP? :confused:

Next time put it in the bin like a good man

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

A brown paper bag degrades in a month, a banana and orange peel (see the guardian link someone posted) takes 2 years.

Would you throw brown paper bags around while hiking? No.

Take it with you, don't be lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I do agree with not littering. I hate litter, it's disgusting. Parks and pathways shouldn't be littered with waste, organic or not.

That said, I don't think there's a problem with flinging banana peel or apple core away from the path or whatever, into bushes or ditches. Fruit peel is as organic as you can get, it's not going to damage anything. If they're flung away from where they may be visible and become an eyesore, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

But litter doesn't look good because it is biodegradable.

If you frequently climb and hike, you would know very well that most others who do so object to the trail of banana skins and fruit peel that daytrippers throw around, and you would also know the old one about leaving nothing behind.

Get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Banana skins take ages to break down, they would be classed as litter.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

OP can we have you address so we can post you our banana peels. its organic so it will rot down.

@Shadowwalker too

A brown paper bag degrades in a month, a banana and orange peel (see the guardian link someone posted) takes 2 years.

Would you throw brown paper bags around while hiking? No.

Take it with you, don't be lazy.

Birds and other animals don't usually eat paper bags but they will eat banana and orange peel. And there is no way that tossed peel will exist for 2 years decomposing without any insect/animals/birds having already eaten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

lau1247 wrote:
    if you do the same inside your house in any room and throwing peels etc around, how do you feel about it after a pile build up OP?

Do you know the difference between indoors and outdoors? You're dead right though much better adding to the massive piles in the landfills. Seriously, trees are dropping litter all the time, leaves and fruit. I agree, don't throw them on the path but a few fruit peels aren't going to damage the ecosystem nearly as much as a load of people trampling through giving out about said peelings ruling their view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

libelula wrote: »
    Last weekend I was in town (not Dublin) with a friend, and on finishing the banana that I had so gleefully found on the backseat of the car moments before, I proceeded to carelessly feck the banana skin (no stickers, I checked) into a nearby fast-flowing river.
    Well. My friend was horrified. Apparantly that's littering. I thought I was adding compost to the sea. Same as when I'm cycling and feck skins into hedges (well in off the road), and same thing with orange peels, apple butts when I'm driving. I'm in the country, and it's not like I scatther them all over the road...

It's been bothering me since. Am I a bad person?

So when Rover dies, you have no problem with me leaving his corpse in your front garden. I'm only adding compost to your geranium patch. If anything you should be glad. Right?

• Advertisement

Get real.

That's told me/

You're right, 'tis grand.

Daytrippers...:rolleyes:

Triangla wrote: »
    Banana skins take ages to break down, they would be classed as litter.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland

Show me a banana skin two years old.

That's told me/

You're right, 'tis grand.

Daytrippers...:rolleyes:

The only place I would prefer to throw my banana skins aside from the ditch would be your face.

Show me a banana skin two years old.

Unless someone shows you a 2 year old banana skin, you will hold to the view that they can be thrown away?

It's a curious one. I had never heard this 2 year rotting time qualification on the "leave nothing behind" adage.

The only place I would prefer to throw my banana skins aside from the ditch would be your face.

:D

Translates as "I'm mad as hell and I'm throwing my banana skins anywhere".

Relax. Tell me about the hike you went on where you threw away anything that rots within 2 years. Where did you go?

• Advertisement

Unless someone shows you a 2 year old banana skin, you will hold to the view that they can be thrown away?

It's a curious one. I had never heard this 2 year rotting time qualification on the "leave nothing behind" adage.

No, my contention is that a thrown banana skin in the wild will invariably be eaten by birds, insects or animals before it decomposes- i.e. if you throw a banana skin away, in just a week you would be hard pressed to find it again.

No, my contention is that a thrown banana skin in the wild will invariably be eaten by birds, insects or animals before it decomposes- i.e. if you throw a banana skin away, in just a week you would be hard pressed to find it again.

Yes...but of course your argument is based on the ridiculous idea that one person will throw one item once a week. The reality is that in places like Killarney National Park in the summer time you may get thousands around areas like Torc every day, so you have this steady stream of rotting banana skins and fruit peel from daytrippers who, like you, think tis grand just cos tis grand.

tis grand just cos tis grand.

Finally, you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Originally Posted by mickydoomsux View Post

What's an "apple butt"?

galljga1 wrote: »
    Check out Kim Karsashian.
    You'd find a lot more use of the core :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

IW6UH.jpg

Not exactly beautiful natural things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

not feel a bit bad because nature
    Last weekend I was in town (not Dublin) with a friend, and on finishing the banana that I had so gleefully found on the backseat of the car moments before, I proceeded to carelessly feck the banana skin (no stickers, I checked) into a nearby fast-flowing river.
    Well. My friend was horrified. Apparantly that's littering. I thought I was adding compost to the sea. Same as when I'm cycling and feck skins into hedges (well in off the road), and same thing with orange peels, apple butts when I'm driving. I'm in the country, and it's not like I scatther them all over the road...

I read the thread title on the front page and I thought you'd thrown a johnny into the river :p which would have been very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Seanachai wrote: »
    I read the thread title on the front page and I thought you'd thrown a johnny into the river :p which would have been very wrong.
    His friends name is Patrick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Tommy Kleyn, a guy in the Netherlands, has showed us just how easy it is to volunteer in your community. He cleaned up a heavily polluted waterfront on his way to work, and all he had to do was wake up half an hour earlier every day until the trash was all gone.

http://www.boredpanda.com/trash-picking-cleaning-project-littering-environmental-friendly/

Someone mentioned earlier you wouldn't see it in Europe

I hope the OP has learned her lesson and realised that her friend was right.

Right. Her friend was RIGHT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

syklops wrote: »
    So when Rover dies, you have no problem with me leaving his corpse in your front garden. I'm only adding compost to your geranium patch. If anything you should be glad. Right?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This sounds like a really fcuked up euphemism for some old people riding, the durt burds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Once you aren't littering with those jel sachets or wrappers on your cycle your grand.

Flood wrote: »
    Once you aren't littering with those jel sachets or wrappers on your cycle your grand.

I saw a few of those on my run the other night :mad:

I've had sticky tits from shoving them in my bra and there's a particular race in the summer which is across a beeeeeautiful mountain and people will train and leave their gels packs all over the shop. There are also nice people who train and pick up after them but they shouldn't have to.

Finally, you get it.

Oh not at all.

I got the fact that your argument consists of "I throw them 'cos I can and 'tis grand" from your first post.

It was the justifications that I was addressing, all that nonsense about the rotting times of peels and birds eating it and so on. And then you had that cross post about throwing them in my face, and seeing a poster rattled is always a little entertaining.

I saw a few of those on my run the other night :mad:

You should see molls gap the day after the ring of Kerry its like a bombsite, disgusting. I bet they wouldn't drop litter around their own house.

I've had sticky tits from shoving them in my bra and there's a particular race in the summer which is across a beeeeeautiful mountain and people will train and leave their gels packs all over the shop. There are also nice people who train and pick up after them but they shouldn't have to.

They are just a disgrace. After events like the Killarney Adventure Race the place is littered with them. There must be some way of addressing it, like asking competitors to mark gel packs with their race number and subjecting them to spot checks before, so they can identify who discarded the packages afterwards. The threat of it should see most of them find a way to keep them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Flood wrote: »
    You should see molls gap the day after the ring of Kerry its like a bombsite, disgusting. I bet they wouldn't drop litter around their own house.

Is it runners that use these Gels packs?
    I not familiar with what it is being referred to. I thought first the silica gel packs from packaging, but obviously that's wrong.

Edit: I see above it's explained

bjork wrote: »
    Is it runners that use these Gels packs?
    I not familiar with what it is being referred to. I thought first the silica gel packs from packaging, but obviously that's wrong.

Edit: I see above it's explained

Runners, triathletes, adventure racers and cyclists. Cyclists seem to be very bad offenders, the cycling legs of adventure races can be ruined with discarded plastic sachets, bottles etc. Maybe they are going fast enough so they think it won't be seen, or its simply awkward on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I wouldn't throw a banana skin into a hedge as they take too long to rot and are unsightly, maybe an apple core. I do spit my chewing gum out on the motorway though and it drives my wife mad. Wouldn't do it in a local road that has footpaths though. Sure what's the harm, just gets mashed into the road surface? Chewing gum on footpaths is a whole other story though.

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    I do spit my chewing gum out on the motorway though and it drives my wife mad. Wouldn't do it in a local road that has footpaths though. Sure what's the harm, just gets mashed into the road surface? Chewing gum on footpaths is a whole other story though.

That is still littering though, why cant you just put your used chewing gum in the wrapper and dispose of it in a bin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Stick the banana peel or apple core behind a rock or in a hedge. Problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cienciano wrote: »
    Stick the banana peel or apple core behind a rock or in a hedge. Problem solved

Out of sight, out of mind eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP should've thrown her friend in the river , would've been easier in the long run.

OP should've thrown her friend in the river , would've been easier in the long run.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

I'll start by saying that I was reared in Surrey, that never leaves you; I always pick up my dog's ****e but it concerns me. Obviously when he does his business on a pavement or path, there is no question at all that I should pick it up and take it home but when it's off path, deep in the wood, is it still the ecologically sound thing to put it in a plastic bag and send it to landfill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So many high horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Trudiha wrote: »
    I'll start by saying that I was reared in Surrey, that never leaves you; I always pick up my dog's ****e but it concerns me. Obviously when he does his business on a pavement or path, there is no question at all that I should pick it up and take it home but when it's off path, deep in the wood, is it still the ecologically sound thing to put it in a plastic bag and send it to landfill?

If you don't pick up the dog **** then all the other animals will die. Same with apple peals.

Edit: that said other animals might **** in the woods and apples fall from trees.

It's all so confusing.

Trudiha wrote: »

It depends , if its a large dog ,it could take a while for him to decompose... we are talking about the dog dying , right ?

So many high horses.

I'm assuming you gather up your horses ****e in a bag too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

have thrown her friend in the river
    Last weekend I was in town (not Dublin) with a friend, and on finishing rack banana that I had so gleefully found on the backseat of the car moments before, I proceeded to carelessly feck the banana skin (no stickers, I checked) into a nearby fast-flowing river.

Too much fecking going on for my liking, maybe next time you'll throw your banana skin into the river.

PS; Its biodegradable, so in theory it will degrade or be eaten in a very short time.

I always feck throw my banana skins and app!e cores into bushes or under trees, that way they can be a snack for some old fox, or eaten by worms, squirrels, hedgehogs, or whoever is passing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement