Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public services card renewal

Options
  • 30-11-2019 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

I was sent a form in the post,my psc card will be out of date in 7 weeks,
    i filled in the application form for a new card to be issued to me and post it to the office in roscommon .
    that was 5 days ago .How long doe,s it take for a new card to be sent out in the post.
    a weeks, ?
    or will they send it out in january just before the old card expire,s .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭gipi

I renewed mine in person at one of the offices, and the new card took about 10 days to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

riclad wrote: »
    i filled in the application form for a new card to be issued to me and post it to the office in roscommon .
    that was 5 days ago .How long doe,s it take for a new card to be sent out in the post.
    a weeks, ?

In January, just before the old one expires. That's in case you pass away in the interim, as they don't want to be issuing PSCs to people who are no longer resident in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Kittykat67

Do u mind if I ask did u get the card. My partner sent back his form and his card is out of date end of next week but no new card has come yet. He is going to ring end of week if it doesn't come. Does it come just before it expires

a weeks, ?

Do u mind if I ask did u get the card. My partner sent back his form and his card is out of date end of next week but no new card has come yet. He is going to ring end of week if it doesn't come. Does it come just before it expires

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My card is out of date now, i did not get a new card,i rang em up last week, i was told there,s a large backlog re sending out new cards,
    but i can still use my old PPS card to recieve welfare payments .
    i don,t have a free travel card .
    i rang 5 time.s ,they only time i could get through is between 2 and 3 pm.
    my card was out of date about 9 days ago.
    i,m still waiting for a new card.
    they ask for your pps no and date of birth ,so have that ready before you phone them.
    The phone answering machine machine says it should come before the card expires, a few days before expiry date.
    but i,m still waiting.
    You can also get a new card by going to the local welfare /intreo office
    if you are in a hurry.
    I was told theres, a long backlog by the person i spoke to,
    i rang the no on the form, 1850 no .
    i presume i,ll get the new card in the next month,
    i did not ask the person for a date.
    i told her my card was due to expire in 2 days time .
    my experience is no one answers the phone before 2pm.
    Ring and wait for machine message in english,and irish to finish,
    then phone should start ringing in office after about 40 seconds .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

My card will be out of date in April. They are supposed to write to you 90 days before it expires re replacement. I actually received the letter 96 days before the replacement date. I sent the form back the following day - will let you know when I get the card...

i Was told there is a very long backlog to send out new cards.if My opinion if you need a psc card to get a passport , or travel card, you, d be better off going to the local welfare office, IF you are in a hurry.i was told
    you,ll still get payments on your card even if its expired anyway.

Coming to asked the same, my Dads is out of date today and sent of the form he received for renewal before Christmas and nothing as yet.

Just thinking about it he would have been in the first wave of people to have received one in 2012 when it was introduced along with many people at the time so I'd imagine there a big numbers expiring now.

My partners card is out of date tomorrow and the new one came today, hopefully all your cards have come.

My old card expiry date is about 6 weeks ago,
    i got my new card today,
    Has anyone any advice as to keeping it protected,
    eg to prevent the magnetic strip getting worn out or damaged.
    my old card ,s magnetic strip does not work ,
    They have to type in my info when i go to the post office to get a welfare payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Balagan1

My old card expiry date is about 6 weeks ago,
    i got my new card today,
    Has anyone any advice as to keeping it protected,
    eg to prevent the magnetic strip getting worn out or damaged.
    my old card ,s magnetic strip does not work ,
    They have to type in my info when i go to the post office to get a welfare payment.

Try not keeping it loose in your pocket in contact with coins, keys etc. When putting in a wallet, make sure the magnetic strip is not directly in contact with magnetic strips of other cards, i.e., store all cards in the same direction. You might add an extra plastic cover to it, could buy one or maybe one from an old hotel swipe key cover.

BowWow wrote: »
    My card will be out of date in April. They are supposed to write to you 90 days before it expires re replacement. I actually received the letter 96 days before the replacement date. I sent the form back the following day - will let you know when I get the card...

Said I would update...

Card was due to be replaced 5 days ago. Sent in form/picture 95 days prior to this. No card yet, 100 days and counting.

I don't have travel on it, but not going out anyway....

Said I would update...
    Card was due to be replaced 5 days ago. Sent in form/picture 95 days prior to this. No card yet, 100 days and counting.
    I don't have travel on it, but not going out anyway....

New one arrived this morning -
    44 days after it was due to arrive.
    140 days after the reminder they sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They were a little bit busy there for a few weeks....

Glad it came. They had said they can still be used at the moment even if out of date, with everything going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Juliett78

I personally renewed my card at one of the physical offices, and it took approximately 15 days for the new card to be delivered to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

PSC Card renewals require an updated photograph and can be easily done via mywelfare but I believe you need a full verified mygovid account . DSP will not issue a renewed PSC until current one expires. They can be done at intero centers but appointments needed and it delays the process. Done online it takes up to Ten Days but again only near expiry date.

For those renewing online, its important to format your Phone camera settings to 4:3 before taking photo or system will reject it , most camera's default setting is full screen making image to large.

There is obviously gong to be peak time delays in processing PSC.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 onefish

Do you need a PSC to claim state pension?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

When you get state pension you are automatically awarded free travel. The free travel is on your PSC. So if you want the free travel you have to get the PSC.

If you want to get your state pension in the post office you need the PSC.

if you want to access the gov portal to apply to renew your drivers licence, apply for SW payments etc you need a verified PSC.

Advertisement