Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Housing

Options
  • 12-09-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am in my early forties single and currently in receipt of jobseekers benefit. I am thinking of applying for Social Housing as i am currently in private rented accommodation which I am really struggling to pay. Just wondering how long the waiting list is and what are my chances of being accepted. Is HAP a realistic option for me. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,517 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Apply.
    You will qualify for social housing based on income and have no other housing interests.
    Realistically the housing list is a decade+, you'll be told to find HAP accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

Thanks for the reply. I was self - employed up to a few months ago but ceased it as I couldnt make a living. Hopefully I will get some part time work soon in the education sector . I have a disability for over twenty years which has really hindered me in sustaining full time work and am also thinking of applying for Disability Allowance. Will this have any relevance to my Housing situation. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Are there records online anywhere of how many applicants are on each list for each area of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Saudades wrote: »
    Are there records online anywhere of how many applicants are on each list for each area of Dublin?

Contact the various local authorities they usually post figures

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I was self - employed up to a few months ago but ceased it as I couldnt make a living. Hopefully I will get some part time work soon in the education sector . I have a disability for over twenty years which has really hindered me in sustaining full time work and am also thinking of applying for Disability Allowance. Will this have any relevance to my Housing situation. Thanks

The income from any Disability Allowance will be assessed for the purpose of the housing application.

There is a separate issue of whether you might having a particular housing need because of your disability. Where you can show that your disability has an impact on your housing need and that securing alternative housing would significantly improve the course of any medical condition that you have, you may be awarded priority status. The evidence you supply with this application would need to be very strong and clearly set out the link between the medical issue and your housing situation. Being on Disability Allowance by itself would not have any impact on any application for medical priority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement