Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung 58" Smart Ultra HD LED TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

4real wrote:
    Just wondering if this a good deal for this TV?

It doesn't have HDR. It's likely that there will be much more HDR content compared to UHD. However you still get a great size TV & it will upscale non UHD content.

A 58" UHD tv for 700 is an amazing price imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dixon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I've ordered a Hicense 50 inch for 469e in Argos...unsure what to do now..trying to decide if size really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

4real wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

What's the difference sorry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Reserved :) Collecting later

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

the cheek of them with their original price...€699 save €920 yet on the co.uk site its £599 save £300. Go up to Newry and get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

the cheek of them with their original price...€699 save €920 yet on the co.uk site its £599 save £300. Go up to Newry and get it

You'd only be saving €30 though?

You'd only be saving €30 though?

probably spend that in petrol two ways.

Reserved :) Collecting later

Went for the 50 inch after

I have one of the 55 inch ones reserved in Currys if someone wants the code PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

LpPepper wrote: »

Saorview approved - NO.

Well there’s a mistake in the product description anyway.

dodzy wrote: »
    Saorview approved - NO.

You're right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,779 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Saorview approved - NO.

So it is Saorview approved?

I've a 40 inch Samsung for the past 9 years or so and it's been rock solid.
    This TV would be an ideal replacement I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is there a shop in dublin where we can watch these tvs live with 4k and non 4k content for comparison? i am worried if sky non hd channels will look awful on these.

kippy wrote: »

It is definitely saorview approved, can't think of any main brand or even generic TV I've seen in last few years that hasn't been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

kippy wrote: »

Of course, every TV sold here has to be :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill never buy another samsung tv, always bought them but had two fail this year both under two years old :mad:

I do like the look of this, im well past buying expensive sets, too many stories of breakdowns with new TV`s no wonder you rarely get more than 12 months warranty these days.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/lg-49-ultra-hd-4k-tv-49uj635v.html

How does 1080 content display or upscale on 4k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dcully wrote: »
    Ill never buy another samsung tv, always bought them but had two fail this year both under two years old :mad:

I do like the look of this, im well past buying expensive sets, too many stories of breakdowns with new TV`s no wonder you rarely get more than 12 months warranty these days.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/lg-49-ultra-hd-4k-tv-49uj635v.html

How does 1080 content display or upscale on 4k?

Warranty is in addition to your consumer rights and in this country they are better than a warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Of course, every TV sold here has to be :)

That's not actually true, and technically that tv is not Saorview approved. It is not part of the database of TV models on the site: https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/products

That being said, just because it has not been explicitly tested/reviewed against/by Saorview, that is not to say that it does not support all the standards atop which Saorview runs, and I'm sure this TV at least falls into that category. For example, I have a Samsung 32" TV from a number of years ago (>7 at least) that was not technically Saorview certified, but still works with it perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cython wrote: »
    That's not actually true, and technically that tv is not Saorview approved. It is not part of the database of TV models on the site: https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/products

That being said, just because it has not been explicitly tested/reviewed against/by Saorview, that is not to say that it does not support all the standards atop which Saorview runs, and I'm sure this TV at least falls into that category. For example, I have a Samsung 32" TV from a number of years ago (>7 at least) that was not technically Saorview certified, but still works with it perfectly.

It would make it easy to return if bought from a bricks and mortar shop and you don't like it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 davec9313

Just tried on the curry’s website - looks like that 55’ for 699 is sold out ... anyone got a code for it or may look at the Samsung as next best option to replace the 12 year old warrior sharp aquos 42’

Cheers

I won't buy a tv off anyone other than richersounds.
    6 year guarantee is pretty much standard with them or you can haggle for it.
    And when you need the guarantee there is no messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I won't buy a tv off anyone other than richersounds.
    6 year guarantee is pretty much standard with them or you can haggle for it.
    And when you need the guarantee there is no messing.

Any good deals with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

cronos wrote:
    Any good deals with them?

Loads, basically they are better value than the majority of resellers in the UK & Ireland for TV & HiFi. They also have the most experience with the equipment too.

Just have a look at their site for deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tedpan wrote: »
    Loads, basically they are better value than the majority of resellers in the UK & Ireland for TV & HiFi. They also have the most experience with the equipment too.

They also have a Talk To forum here on Boards

I'm half thinking of upgrading my current 48" Samsung Smart TV for a 55" but would ideally prefer something with Freesat UK compatibility, multiple HDMI ports and future-proofing, as well as support for apps like Netflix and Plex

Would the LG referred to above do the job do ye think?

tedpan wrote: »

Did have a look but looks more expensive than the listed bargains.

I'm open to someone posing bargins from them in the 49, 50, 55, 58, 65 inch models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It doesn't have HDR. It's likely that there will be much more HDR content compared to UHD. However you still get a great size TV & it will upscale non UHD content.

A 58" UHD tv for 700 is an amazing price imo.

Someone else posted a link to the same TV in DID further down the thread and in the link, it says the TV does have HDR. Is that incorrect information? https://www.did.ie/samsung-6-series-58-4k-ultra-hd-flat-led-smart-tv-black-ue58mu6120kxx-ue58mu6120kxx-prd?cmp=cel&trigger=ac

http://www.currys.ie/Product/samsung-ue58mu6120-58-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/346013/397.0.0?OpenMenu=true

this one is now 699 with HDR, i think this is a better deal than both the OP and LG

• Advertisement

http://www.currys.ie/Product/samsung-ue58mu6120-58-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/346013/397.0.0?OpenMenu=true

this one is now 699 with HDR, i think this is a better deal than both the OP and LG

All the linked 58" Samsungs are the same TV afaik, and they're all HDR.

Went for LG . Found the user interface of TV the most user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dixon

One thing to note is the LG is HDR10 (supports 10bit HDR). Can't seem to find the Samsungs rating but it is less than 10bit, probably 8bit

TV manufacturers must the the worst for trying to confuse things with technical definitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So when it comes to LG vs Samsung ? what are people thinking ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

One thing to note is the LG is HDR10 (supports 10bit HDR). Can't seem to find the Samsungs rating but it is less than 10bit, probably 8bit

TV manufacturers must the the worst for trying to confuse things with technical definitions

Non HDR is 8 bit per component (thus 16.7 mln colours). HDR seems to be about 10 bits per component - 30bin/pixel - 1 bln of different colours.

Anyone find any reviews on the 58 inch samsung and perhaps comparisons with the LG

• Advertisement

I've just picked up the 58" Samsung. Will set it up later however I will probably have an excellent review as the TV it's replacing is a 10 year old Philips 47" 720P display....never a problem with it and no signs of issues....she'll retire to the bedroom :)

highdef wrote: »
    I've just picked up the 58" Samsung. Will set it up later however I will probably have an excellent review as the TV it's replacing is a 10 year old Philips 47" 720P display....never a problem with it and no signs of issues....she'll retire to the bedroom :)

If your in the mood feel free to post a video ;)

cronos wrote: »
    If your in the mood feel free to post a video ;)

Of the TV or the bedroom? :P

highdef wrote: »
    Of the TV or the bedroom? :P

Walked into that one.

I picked up the 58" Samsung last night and was happy enough with the deal, I wasn't blown away with the picture after coming from a 46" FHD Samsung.

After playing around with it tonight, I'm much more impressed. What I didn't realise was that HDR wasn't enabling when playing Netflix through my Nvidia Shield. Once I played through the native Netflix app, I could see the difference.....will figure out getting it to work with my shield another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Basil3 wrote: »
    I picked up the 58" Samsung last night and was happy enough with the deal, I wasn't blown away with the picture after coming from a 46" FHD Samsung.

After playing around with it tonight, I'm much more impressed. What I didn't realise was that HDR wasn't enabling when playing Netflix through my Nvidia Shield. Once I played through the native Netflix app, I could see the difference.....will figure out getting it to work with my shield another day.

Hey just wondering if your using yours with Sky . I got mine yesterday and it works fine with Netflix and plex but when watching sky it flick to a black screen and back every 15mins or so. Just wondering if you had any issues like that.

Cheers
    Rob

Hey just wondering if your using yours with Sky . I got mine yesterday and it works fine with Netflix and plex but when watching sky it flick to a black screen and back every 15mins or so. Just wondering if you had any issues like that.

Cheers
    Rob

No issues with Sky at all. I just have the standard Sky+ HD box connected via HDMI.

I've the exact same setup and Sky box except I route it via an AV amp

I'll try changing the HDMI cable maybe that has something to do with it seen as plex and Netflix work without a bother. I have set the sky box to 1080p and turned HDR off on the tv still the same I'll give the cable a go later see if th at makes a difference.

Thanks lads.

Any reviews?

I'm very happy with mine. The HDR+ feature on regular non HDR stuff makes the picture look quite nasty so have left it off for non HDR sources.

I also turned off the digital "enhancements" that are on by default. That has improved the video a lot. Before, fast movement would look very poor. I always turn off most "enhancements" anyway as they just introduce extra processing that interferes with the original video.

I've only tested 1080i footage so far and have been impressed after performing the above changes. Will sort out 4K footage soon.

cronos wrote: »
    Any reviews?

Only had it a day and I'm having the issue with watching sky but I find the HD picture great even though I havnt really sat down to calibrate the settings. Standard definition is ok nothing to write home about but again I havnt adjusted any settings yet. I find it excellent for using Netflix and Plex built in which let's me get rid of the roku3 box I had. Also streaming from a pc is flawless to. The OS is very quick apps open and close fast. I'm very pleased so far once I get sky sorted.

Also streaming from a pc is flawless to. .
    Are you streaming over the wifi/LAN? I have a NAS drive in the utility. It and the TV are both on a wired LAN. Can I access the NAS from the TV? Haven't looked very hard yet though, I must admit. Can get rid of Android box if I can access the NAS and can then connect the Android box to the old TV, which I plan to move to the bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What NAS device do you have? Are you able to install Plex onto it? If so, you can have Plex on the TV as the client.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What NAS device do you have? Are you able to install Plex onto it? If so, you can have Plex on the TV as the client.

It's a D-Link DNS-323 - a few years old but does the job. Haven't heard about Plex or whether I can install it. I'll do some research, thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement