Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a decent retro games emulation device

Options
  • 18-11-2015 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting my girlfriend something that can run retro games for xmas. She's only interested in old school systems, SNES and Megadrive to be exact, so it doesn't have to be massively powerful.

User friendliness would be important! I want something that I can set up for her once, and she won't have to be messing around with it ever again. Being able to run Kodi simultaneously would be an advantage.

I was thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi 2 and either set that up as a dual boot to openelec/retropie, or similar. Or maybe single boot to openelec and setup rom collection browser in there.

Any suggestions on which would be the best way to set this up for ease of use, and maintenance-free operation long term? Is the Raspberry Pi the best bet, or would something else be better?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get her a SNES or Megadrive, mod it for 60hz and then get an everdrive. Better than any emulation device. If you love her that's what you would do :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

What about the Pandora?

https://boards.openpandora.org/pandora/pandoramain.html/

You don't mention portable, but for me it's big win being able to carry it about in my coat pocket. It's been out for a couple of years now, so it's very stable, very usable, and really good in terms of emulators, especially for SNES and Megadrive.

Check it out ... I've used mine every day for the past three / four years. Makes bus & train journeys "me" time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Both those look nice but I'm on a budget of about €100! Having kodi on there would be a big plus too. So I'm leaning towards some kind of TV box...raspberry pi, amazon fire tv, ouya etc. I'm just trying to figure out which would be the most user friendly setup for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Install retroarch and launchbox on her laptop ! Job done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bluetooth controller for her phone maybe? Android emulators have come a long way, a couple that will play multiple systems in one app aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think you have answered your own question.
    You want Kodi and emulation, and cheap.
    Gotta be the Pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

It would be much easier to set up Kodi and emulators on an Android Box, and they don't cost a whole lot more than the Pi 2.

You can get really nice frontends for the emulators too, which would be the most user friendly way of launching games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Doge wrote: »
    It would be much easier to set up Kodi and emulators on an Android Box, and they don't cost a whole lot more than the Pi 2.

You can get really nice frontends for the emulators too, which would be the most user friendly way of launching games.

Any suggestions for an android box? I bought a cheap Chinese one on amazon before and it was far from user friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Picked up a second hand Ouya maybe ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

trout wrote: »
    What about the Pandora?

https://boards.openpandora.org/pandora/pandoramain.html/

You don't mention portable, but for me it's big win being able to carry it about in my coat pocket. It's been out for a couple of years now, so it's very stable, very usable, and really good in terms of emulators, especially for SNES and Megadrive.

Check it out ... I've used mine every day for the past three / four years. Makes bus & train journeys "me" time :)

Remember reading about that years ago, never signed up to it in the end as I was barely using my GPX32. Is it still possible to buy it even? The Order Now links don't work and I see they've a new Pyra device in the works.

• Advertisement

That Pyra looks pretty sweet, you can put a 4G simcard in it aswell, that could actually be useful to me. I didnt buy a Pandora back in the day because by the time they released it there were totally superior devices for the same price or cheaper, hope they dont make the same mistake here.

https://boards.openpandora.org/pyramain/main/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've an OUYA and it does everything you want plus it comes with a controller, albeit, a terrible controller. Still it's good and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I’ve a Remix Mini coming my way in the next few days. It’s a kickstarter Android box that seems quite interesting. Its basically aimed as a super cheap desktop replacement and has a modified Android OS on it that allows a more Windows style interface with a start button, classic file manager mouse support and all that sort of stuff. But it also runs normal Android apps so you have all the emulators and what not.
    To be honest I’m not sure what I’ll use it for, but it has some decent guts inside so should be a pretty decent media player and Emulator box.

It might be an option for you as I think they are now selling them normally(as in not kickstarter) or at least they will be soon.

Specs:
    Quad core 1.2Ghz A53 64bit Allwinner processor
    2GB ram
    16GB internal storage (and Micro SD if you need more)
    Ethernet port
    Wifi b/g/n
    Bluetooth 4
    2 USB ports

http://www.jide.com/en/mini

I paid 40 US Dollars for it(not inc shipping). Not sure how much they will be charging at retail, but I don’t think much.

mod edit: just fixed link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Thargor wrote: »
    That Pyra looks pretty sweet, you can put a 4G simcard in it aswell, that could actually be useful to me. I didnt buy a Pandora back in the day because by the time they released it there were totally superior devices for the same price or cheaper, hope they dont make the same mistake here.

https://boards.openpandora.org/pyramain/main/

The Pyra is proabably going to be 600+ euro by the time it comes out.
    In terms of handhelds the GPD XD looks alright but I have the G5A they did before it and while it gets the job done it's not brilliant. (Crap screen, too easy to hit diagonals on the dpad).

Yeah they're obsolete now, $20 Bluetooth controllers for Android have gotten too good.

doxy wrote: »
    Any suggestions for an android box? I bought a cheap Chinese one on amazon before and it was far from user friendly!

I guess its too late to recommend boxes on aliexpress as they may not arrive in time,
    but there are Adverts sellers selling the MXQ for about €50.

Once the box has the play store on it, it couldn't be more user friendly.

Just install each emulator, connect a bluetooth gamepad and away you go!

Getting a PS3 controller to work is an extra step, it requires a paid app but theres naughty ways of getting said app also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a guy selling the Retron5 on adverts, but you'll need a library of cartridges to use it, as well as controllers.
    As such, you'd be as well investing in a Megadrive and an RGB cable, and a couple of choice games, rather than go the emulation route.
    If you definitely want that all in one box, an OUYA is on Adverts for €60
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/ouya-games-console/9298194

The OUYA would be the way to go for sure. It has the nostalgia app which makes a great front end for all your emulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I came across this by accident so forgive me if it seems like spam. I bought an mxq box for my kids and have android controllers on the way, The person i bought them off (As i was looking for 3) suggesed i buy the mxq for my kids and actually a raspberry pi for myself. The pi takes a little work but its far more stable from reading stats

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Nokia N-Gage yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can the Pi 2 run both openelec (Kodi) AND retropie on the same installation? Or is it one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Myrddin wrote: »
    Can the Pi 2 run both openelec (Kodi) AND retropie on the same installation? Or is it one or the other?

You can dual boot and switch between each.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115562

I came across this by accident so forgive me if it seems like spam. I bought an mxq box for my kids and have android controllers on the way, The person i bought them off (As i was looking for 3) suggesed i buy the mxq for my kids and actually a raspberry pi for myself. The pi takes a little work but its far more stable from reading stats

I haven't used an MXQ myself but on my Moto G phone i never had any stability issues with the emulators. Its mainly the .emu range of emulators I use as they're the best and are free (for users of countries who cant purchase apps on the play store e.g. china, but theres nothing to stop you downloading them for free) and also the Mame4Droid emulator.

I would have actually thought you'd run into more issues with the Pi, since its fairly low powered!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Just a warning about the MXQ boxes, some of them are built very poorly, it's completely hit and miss, there is just too many clones, some have no heatsinks on the CPU and overheat easily, some have no wifi antennas so the wifi is very weak, some just have poor wifi chipsets with no support if you want to change rom, I started to use the Red MX box instead. I find the build quality much better and there doesn't appear to be any clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

That Remix Mini i mentioned a while back arrived today. Interesting little box, a desktop version of Android.

So far seems ok for the price and has a decent bit of power behind it. Not sure it would be good as a dedicated emulation device though.

IEGhPOz.jpg
    OON2wuH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I dunno if anyone is interested, but I actually have a spare 8bitdo SFC30 bluetooth controller here. I can stick up an ad in the marketplace if you are. Just thought I'd mention it with all the emulator talk here, happy to let it go cheap to another Boardie!

Advertisement