Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mag drill

Options
  • 18-03-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭

Right lads, I have a blast of drilling to do to rsj's, holes up to 30mm. I have been borrowing a mates mag drill for a while, but tbat has become awkward as he is flat out again and I am down to borrowing for an hour at a time in the evenings.
    I have decided to buy one myself and just suck it up. My mates one is a hitachi and is a great drill but I cannot find one similar anywhere. I would love a milwaukee cordless one but they are mental momney.
    I am looking for recommendations for a good one at reasonable money. Anyone got any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Why not just hire one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i hve a jefferson one . great for what i need it for . only ocasional use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

We've a powerbor one donkeys years, i see gasweld. Ie with them for e470 incl vat.
    Dunno if thats a good price but i know they're a good machine, use them for 35mm holes here no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Why not just hire one

Local place is €50 a day. I need it for several little jobs at different stages. At the prices below it would be worth buying as I would nearly have it paid for from hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hitachi is no more, they are now called Hikoki !! Which may be why you can't find any.

Have a look on amazon for a "evolution mag42 drill", last time i checked they were around the €300 sort of range, have'nt used one myself but i do have their version of a carbide chop saw which i think is good value.

Off brand generic one can probably be got for €350-€400 over here.
    Spindle run out is usually the first thing that gives trouble in them, i used to use them all the time but i have'nt touched one for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

To be fair most good engineering supply companies will recommend something.
    Where are u based?
    400 will buy a good machine. if u have a bit of frequent use for one then try and buy one, suprise the amount you will use it when you have one sitting there at the ready instead of having to hire/borrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hitachi is no more, they are now called Hikoki !! Which may be why you can't find any.

Renamed cos :

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/22/hitachi_magic_wand/

We were told about the Magic Wand by an embarrassed Hitachi executive who hinted that Hitachi was somewhat ashamed of the product and didn't want to publicise it. Unfortunately for the Japanese giant, the thing sells just too well for it to contemplate stopping production.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

a hole punch would be nice if it suited what your are at :

Never seen one of them before, very handy, what sort of price are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anyone know anything about SIP mag drills? They look good value if they are any sort of quality.

• Advertisement

If they are anything like the other stuff they make i'd say they are overpriced for what's in them, i would'nt rate them above cheap chinese stuff but they seem to be more expensive than chinese brands.

For SIP money you could get a decent Rotabroach for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

Where would be the cheapest place to get a mag drill for a small amount of use. No need for a fancy one.
    Hoping to put a couple of extensions onto sheds in the near future and looking to save money by doing the steelwork and erecting myself

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Sami23 wrote: »
    Where would be the cheapest place to get a mag drill for a small amount of use. No need for a fancy one.
    Hoping to put a couple of extensions onto sheds in the near future and looking to save money by doing the steelwork and erecting myself

Try everyday welding supplies. They have one on offer for 349in vat. I've one similar here but the only difference is mine has a Hitachi power unit.

For the use you describe it would suit, as 18mm holes would be no bother .

https://www.everydayweldingsupplies.com/evolution-evomag28-28mm-magnetic-drilling-system?gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5IfabFEjcB1SPVgFumDeJ95YlQtgLFvuQwoA-OrCQ9DUsTxUnNk99WRoCS74QAvD_BwE

Same drill is €300 on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have one here and it has the regular 3-jaw chuck on it. I can use ordinary drill bits on it, but it will also take these type of cutters;

https://holemaker-technology.com/collections/versadrive/products/versadrive-carbidemax-tct-holesaws

This is the one I have, but as I said above, the chuck is different.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGg_zYoGOLc

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

A chuck is very handy. I have one. I often use normal drill bits and normal holes saws in it. A 50mm holes saw is a lot cheaper than a mag drill bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would he go for a.magnetic drill or fixed bench drill lads, would a magnetic be more used

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Would he go for a.magnetic drill or fixed bench drill lads, would a magnetic be more used

I find the mag drill great. It depends on what size metal you're drilling. Easier bring the drill to large heavy metal than hauling heavy metal around.
    But for light parts, fixed drill better.
    I've been using my mag drill teh last few days to drill 24mm holes on large girders. No bother with the right cutter.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Mag drill all day. So easy and portable. Cutters have got cheaper and have a chuck to take drill bits. Make sure to have loads of cutting fluid, its the key keeping cutters in good knick.

Advertisement