Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

26.2, Part two

Options
  • 23-07-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi all, this will be my first effort at regular logging of my training. I’ve gotten so much valuable information from reading logs and other posts on the A/R forum over the last year or so and would like to engage a bit more to see if it can spur me on a bit. I apologise in advance for the block of text to follow.

My background is relatively straightforward, I’m in my mid 30s and running since October 2016. I did a 10K and a Half marathon in my first few months and got hooked on it. I’ve been a member of a local club for 18 months now which I find a great motivator to get out. 2017 was all about building a base and enjoying my running and racing, lots of racing. I love races organised by local clubs and the sense of camarderie that goes with them. We're blessed to have a strong club scence in Cork. I think I did 37 races last year, probably too much as my improvement plateaued towards the end of the year. I did races at all distances from 5K to Half marathons. In hindsight, I was really racing to train but still managed to rack up 1,099 miles for the year. I made some improvements on my times, 10K went from 54 to 47 mins, and felt that I was ready to take it more seriously in 2018.

I decided that 2018 was going to be about doing my first marathon and so I signed up for Limerick in April. I followed a bit of a hodgepodge of a plan based on an Asics 4:00 hr plan and mileage from the P&D 55 plan. I was very happy with the way training went, 591 miles before the big day, and my tune up races went very well. I had started off the training with a target of sub 4, based mainly on a 1:48 in the Waterford Half Marathon. As training progressed I started to revise the target downwards based on a 75 min 10-mile result and a comfortable 2:08 in a 25K race.

The marathon itself turned out to be a bit of an eye opener. The May Bank Holiday Sunday was a scorcher in Limerick, temperatures were around 23 degrees. Uncertainty over my target time threw my pacing plan out the window and I effectively ran by feel. I did the first half in 1:54 and got as far as mile 17 before the wheels came off. Massive struggle mentally over the last 8 miles and came in just under 4:15. Surprisingly I wasn’t disappointed with the result, I was delighted to have finished the race, I even did a fist pump going over the line. I knew the heat was a big factor on the day and outside of my control. I did however feel that I got my pacing wrong and didn't give myself the chance to run my best race on the day. I still felt I could go faster and decided to sign up for Dublin (briefly contemplated doing Cork but luckily sanity prevailed).

My Dublin training has been a bit hit and miss to date, finding it harder to get out between the fine weather and other commitments. I am following the P&D 55-mile plan with some minor adjustments for holidays etc. I’m a bit concerned though that things might slip further so I’m hoping that this log, and any feedback given, will keep me accountable and motivated. I would love to think that I could do 3:45 on the 28th October and that is the target at the moment. I am fortunate to have a good group from the club all training for Dublin also with a wide range of targets from sub 3 to 4:30. Last week’s mileage was the most since the start of April with 45 miles in the bag including a 14 miler. I think I've just passed 970 miles for the year.

I’ve listed my PBs to give a bit of indication as to where I’m coming from, most of these have been set in the last couple of months (except 5 miles which is from last summer). I also would like to take a bit off most of these but I’m aware that I can’t have it all. I will try to mix in some speed sessions and will probably race regularly enough at the shorter distances over the remainder of the summer. I would love a sub 20 5K, sub 43 10K, sub 70 10 Mile and Sub 1:40 Half.

1 Mile: 06:01
    5K: 20:32
    4 Miles: 27:11
    5 Mile: 37:45
    10K: 44:48
    10 Mile: 75:11
    Half Marathon: 1:46:20
    Marathon: 4:14

To anyone who made it to the end, thanks for reading. Any comments or feedback at any stage would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Monday - 23rd July

7 miles - Hills Trail Run

Nice run on a local Coillte trail with the club. Started off with 4 half mile uphill intervals with recovery on the downhill, took it easy on three of them and pushed on the last. Finished off with a nice 3 mile run with good mix of up and down. In all 7 miles in 1:05, 9:18 avg (GAP 08:04) with just under 1,300 ft of elevation. Good session to get done and easier with company.

Wednesday - 26th July

4 Miles - Easy

Must be a curse of starting a log but my knee felt very sore after Mondays run. It's something I get from time to time when I up the miles too much. Decided to shelve the planned MLRs for Tuesday & Wednesday. I started to feel a bit better today so chanced 4 miles at an avg pace of 09:01. It was absolutely bucketing down outside, first time running in the rain in what seems like ages.
    I'm away for the weekend so unlikely I'll get any long runs in. I'll bring my gear just in case but I suspect I'm being overly optimistic. I've had two dodgy weeks out of the last three and need to get the Dublin plan back on track.

Saturday - 28th July

5 miles - worse for wear

Rather naviely decided to chance a run around Dingle after probably the most alcohol I'd drank in 9 month the previous night. Felt good for the first mile until I realised I was lost and ended up coming back the main road into the wind and dodging camper vans and buses. The scenery was lovely but couldn't appreciate it as the heavens opened and all I wanted was my bed. All in all 5 miles at a suprisingly sprightly 9:01 avg. Suffice to say I paid for my bravado later in the day.

All in all very disappointing week with only 16 miles as against the planned total of 45 with a 16 mile long one. Need to pull my socks up.

Monday - 30th July

7 miles - Hills Trail Run

Pretty much deja vu of the previous week except I pushed a bit more on the intervals. Really good session, 8:57 avg with 1,300 feet of elevation.

July gave me a total of 133 miles with a bad half marathon race, one good 5k race and another poor one. August is a big month so looking forward to ramping up the mileage and have one target 10k race.

Wednesday - 1st August

8 Miles - Tempo Run

This was supposed to be a general aerobic run but turned into a bit of a see could outlast the others with a few lads from the club. We started off with a nice handy 8:47 mile and gradually ramped it up to 7:45 pace on relatively hilly roads. Last two miles were 7:18 and 7:33 with an overall avg of 7:53. We were all fairly wrecked after it but pretty pleased. I was really glad to get a tough run in after a couple of inactive weeks, spent almost 60% of the run in my threshold HR zone. I noticed when I uploaded the run to strava afterwards that it brought me over the 1,000 miles for the year, 1,003 and counting now. Considering I did a grand total of 1,099 last year I should blow past that this month. Nice confidence boost and good start to the month.

Thursday – 2nd August
    3.25 miles – Easy w/strides

As my intention was to do a local 5K race the following evening the plan for this run for a few easy miles with a couple of accelerations to slightly faster than race pace. Started off handy with a progressive 8:25 and then knocked out a few 400m intervals at 06:10 pace, finished off with a leisurely jog back to the car. I was very happy with how this went, no drama and the legs felt good. I was really looking forward to the race the following day as this was one I did last year and wanted to use it as a benchmark as to the progression made. Also, as it was local we would have a decent club representation and there were bragging rights at stake!
    Unfortunately, a bug which had swept through the house struck on Friday morning and that was the end of me for the next 48 hours. I was very disappointed to miss the race and drove myself crazy looking at the results afterwards trying to predict where I would have finished!

Sunday – 5th August
    5 miles – steady w/ 1 mile quick

I’ll be honest and admit that the motivation wasn’t there to get out on Sunday. It was only the fact that the lads did a great early session Sunday morning and the fear of being left behind that dragged me off the couch. I didn’t have any plan in mind going out for this one which is always a danger. The first mile was a relatively tough 8:25 pace and for some reason as the watch beeped I decided to just give it a lash and go for a 1-mile PB (6:01). The effort levels felt high, but I was happy with the pace and decided to just see how it went and not check the watch too much. I sneaked a peak at the watch at where I thought I’d be in the home stretch and realised I’d only covered .65 of a mile, the pace was still good, but the effort was starting to kick in now. I also misjudged the route and had to do a sharp right turn with an uphill finish for the last 400m. I tried to hold on, but the legs just gave up and the watch beeped at 6:01.7, .4 of a second outside a PB and agonisingly outside the sub 6 min mile. I was wrecked after that, HR hit 177 (all time high is 179), and just jogged around for another 3 miles. The average for the 5 miles was still decent enough at 8:36 but I was bate after it.
    I’m confident enough that a sub 6 min mile is there with a small bit of speed work, ended up doing a 1K PB of 3:36 so at least there was that. So ends another quiet week mileage wise with only 23 miles clocked up. I tend to follow a low mileage week with a big jump leading to injury, so this is something I need to manage carefully. The plan for the week is a local 4-mile race on Tuesday and then a 10K on Saturday. This 10k race would have been a specific goal race at the start of the summer but at this stage I will be lucky to break 46 mins which is a pity as it’s a relatively flat out and back course. The priority this week must be to get a decent run in at the weekend of around 12-13 miles. I’ve been following the DCM thread with great interest and it’s amazing to see the work that people are putting in so far with some serious dedication being shown. It’s great to have it as a benchmark to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Would you not join in on the DCM novices thread? There are a few there targetting a similar time as yourself.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Would you not join in on the DCM novices thread? There are a few there targetting a similar time as yourself.

Yeah that's a good suggestion, thanks. As soon as I feel I've something decent mileage wise done, I'll jump in. Hopefully after this weekend.

• Advertisement

tbukela wrote: »
    Yeah that's a good suggestion, thanks. As soon as I feel I've something decent mileage wise done, I'll jump in. Hopefully after this weekend.

I would not be worried about that. You have a nice base there and would fit in well with where a lot of the group are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck with the training! Your lead-up to Limerick was very similar to my own, but the wheels came off sooner for me on the day :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training! Your lead-up to Limerick was very similar to my own, but the wheels came off sooner for me on the day :)

Same to you for DCM. I read your race report from Limerick again, remember reading it at the time and thought fair play for finishing it out so well. It's tough when the wheels come off so early. Leeson learned for Dublin, loads of time left to get the MP miles in and have a right rattle off it.

Monday - 6th August
    7.25 miles - steady/tempo

I was anxious to start the week off well so after a nice relaxing BH Monday with the family, I managed to convince one of the lads to head out for a run. It was the late evening before we got out but still humid enough. It turned out to be one of those runs that was deceptively quick. The plan was for a reasonable pace but nothing manic with the race on the following evening. As the miles passed the pace increased but the conversation was flowing so didn't really notice. Ended up with a reasonable 7:53 average but more importantly body and mind felt good.

Tuesday - 7th August
    Carnival 4 Mile Race

This wasn't a race that I had targeted but it being about as local as it gets I wanted to support it. I got down nice and early and enjoyed the bit of banter with the large contingent from the club. I managed to get a small warm up done with a few drills and lined up behind the usual suspects who usually finish near me. I always find it a bit of lottery trying to judge where to start especially when there isn't a timing mat at the start, don't want to give away too much time or get stuck in traffic. Since I knew the course so well I knew I'd have to go out quick for the first 1.5 miles, hold on for a mile and then try and drive on. I had checked my 4 mile PB and realised it was 27:07 with a course PB of 27:24. I genuinely didn't think a sub 27 was in the legs but I was hoping for a sub 28 anyway. I had done 20:30 odd for a 5K a couple of weeks ago so it should have been achievable.
    Rather bizarely I didn't hear the gun go off, just saw people running so followed them. I started off quickly enough and fell in just behind a group that on a normal day would be about 30-45 seconds ahead of me. I was comfortable with the pace and the first mile flew at 6:28. I knew the 2nd half of mile 2 was tough so I needed to dig in. This was made easier when a club mate passed me so I had a target and passed him again before the 2nd mile marker with a 6:46. This is where things started to hurt and a few doubts were bubbling to the surface. I had lost touch with the group and was running on my own with one runner about 10 metres ahead who I couldn't bridge to. Somewhat luckily I was passed by a guy who always passes me about halfway through the races and managed to stick with him for awhile before losing contact. I could hear the loudspeaker on the lead car and knew the leaders were approaching the finishing stretch. Not surprisingly mile three was a toughie in 6:52.
    Last mile and I was suffering, rightly or wrongly I didn't check the watch and just tried to keep from chopping my stride too much. I didn't really have somone to target ahead of me so tried to flip it into not being passed. I knew I was about 4th from the club with about 3 of the lads, who would usually be ahead of me, probably close behind. The last 800m is quick enough so I started to increase the pace whilst trying to keep something in reserve. I could hear footsteps approaching behind me and someone drew level with about 500 m to go. I recognised her as someone who would usually be a bit ahead of me. To be fair as she passed me she gave great encouragment and I managed to put in the best sprint finish I'd done in ages, the support from the local crowd was great as well. Nothing beats hearing your name being shouted out as you try push for the finishing line. I was really suffering now but I could see the clock was showing 26 something so I gave it everything left in the tank and crossed in 26:54 (final mile 6:41).
    All told I'm very happy with that, a 13 second PB, especially as it was unexpected. Did a small cool down with the lads and enjoyed a good spread and a chat afterwards. As Tuesday evenings go running wise that was one of the better ones. Hopefully that will set me up nicely for the 10K on Saturday.

Wednesday - 8th August
    5 miles - recovery

Nothing too fancy about this one, I just wanted to stretch the legs after the race the previous evening. The average pace was 8:41 with the HR firmly in Z2.

Wednesday - 10th August
    4.5 miles - easy

With the 10K the following day I didn't do anything too hectic. Nice easy warm up, a couple of 400m progressions to race pace and a jog back to the car. The average was 8:10, skewed by the few quick bits.

Saturday - 11th August
    East Cork 10K

I did this 10K last year and it was one of the first races where I felt an improvement in my running. I had targeted it from a long way back as a race I wanted to have a decent crack at. Unfortunately training in the lead up hadn't been great but I was still confident of coming close to or breaking my PB of 44:49. I woke up early to the sound of rain outside and got myself ready to be down there in good time for the 10am start. I had guilted the famliy into coming with me so we had a full car travelling down.

Unfortunately as we came closer to Race HQ the weather really got bad, nasty heavy rain. I was getting dirty looks from the kids as I had promised a family fun day etc. Ah well! The event itself has a full marathon, a half and the 10K so there were about 1000+ competitors in the vicinity. It's a great fundraiser for local charities and has a really good atmosphere. Both the half and the 10K were supposed to start at 10am but I could tell by the fact that people were still coming in at nearly 10 that it was going to be delayed. So yeah a 10 minute delay, unfortunate that it was so wet, people were either sheltering for cover or trying to keep warm. I did a nice relaxed warm up mile and moved my way close enough to the front. There wasn't a massive amount of club singlets so I parked myself in behind a few lads I knew.

The course itself is an out and back, fairly flat but it can be a bit exposed as you are right on the water. The weather at the start was miserable but it was just a case of deal with it like everyone else. I had done 47:2x in 2017 so I was hoping to take a decent chunk out of it. I didn't have a specific pacing plan and was just going to see how it went and try and hold on.

To be honest the race itself was a bit of a non event, I tried to stay with a group as I seem to spend a lot of races running on my own. I stuck with a group for about 2.5 miles and felt ok for about 2.25 miles of that until I didn't, which when it come was sudden and sharp. The first 3 miles were 6:48, 6:57 & 7:07. At this stage we had turned the corner and were heading back against the main crowd to the finish line. I think I was passed by about 10 people in the 2nd half of the race and didn't come close to passing anyone. The last 3 miles were 7:37, 7:31 & 7:41 with 6:53 pace for the finish. In the end I finished in 45:24, good bit outside a PB but on a positive note two minutes quicker then last year.

I was suprised that I wasn't more disappointed afterwards. The lads in the group that I started with all run sub 43:45 and while they are usually a bit quicker then me, I should have been able to hold the pace for longer. I know I should have had a plan for the race, I should have targeted getting a incremental PB rather than expecting to run a sub 43:30 which I admit was in the back of my mind. My 5K and 4 mile times suggest I am more than capable of running quicker but I just haven't put the work in over the last few weeks. Despite all this it was a great event for worthy causes and hopefully I'll be back next year to take another two minutes off my time.

Sunday - 12th August
    13.5 miles - LSR

The main priority for this run was to get easy miles in the legs. A good crew of us set out early in the morning in perfect conditions. The first couple of miles were good craic with a nice bit of banter over race results in the previous week. After about 4 miles the various pace groups had sorted themselves out and I slotted in with a group aiming for 9 min miles. Even though I was tired after the previous days race, the pace felt comfortable and I had to remind myself to pull it back a few times. There was one nice little climb for 200 ft elevation gain in less than a mile which split the group again but everyone was happy enough to run away at their own pace. About 10 miles in I started to get a niggle in my knee, I was conscious that I didn't want to aggravate anything and bailed out from the run to do 13.5 miles while the lads continued to do 16.

I was happy with the run and the pace felt easy enough, 8:57 average with a HR average of 143.The mile splits ranged from 9:21 to 8:32. The last five miles were in my PMP range so I was happy to get them in without pushing myself too much. Although I'm behind on my DCM plan I didn't want to go mad this week and get injured. As it was, the ramp up in mileage was severe enough, 43 for the week up from 23 the previous week. The last time I did that I had severe knee pain for a few days so I need to be careful. This week is a busy one with work and family activities so I'm hoping to get one midweek 10 mile run, one shorter tempo run and a LSR of 16 - 18 at the weekend. Less then 11 weeks to go so all about getting the miles in now.

• Advertisement

What plan are you following? The training paces seem a bit on the fast side...

What plan are you following? The training paces seem a bit on the fast side...

I started off on the P&D up to 55 mile plan but I've missed a considerable amount of it thus far. I'm trying to decide whether to stick or twist on it this week.
    Do you think all the paces in general are too quick or specifically the longer one? PMP is about 8:47.

I started off on the P&D up to 55 mile plan but I've missed a considerable amount of it thus far. I'm trying to decide whether to stick or twist on it this week.
    Do you think all the paces in general are too quick or specifically the longer one? PMP is about 8:47.

All! I mean your recovery pace is faster than PMP! All runs are faster than PMP so you are not training your body to run at that pace or to make the physiological adaptations for running 26.2. Pop over to the novices thread. There is a link to a training paces calculator on the first page. Train to your most recent race time not to some notional target for the marathon itself.

All! I mean your recovery pace is faster than PMP! All runs are faster than PMP so you are not training your body to run at that pace or to make the physiological adaptations for running 26.2. Pop over to the novices thread. There is a link to a training paces calculator on the first page. Train to your most recent race time not to some notional target for the marathon itself.

I've seen some of your posts in other threads about training paces and the need to slow down and I have read the articles. So I do appreciate the science and value of it. I do agree that the recovery runs should be slower. My problem is I don't do a lot of pure recovery runs, I'd usually throw in a few strides or a bit of speedwork purely out of boredom. I think that this is something that I need to be more conscious of as the mileage increases and the niggles mount.

Before I started the plan I popped my most recent race times into the McMillan calculator and that would have given me an idea for the target paces for the LSR. I did that again this morning, ranging in distance from 5K (20:32) to half (1:46:08) and the time ranges I'm getting are quite wide. The quicker end is going from 07:45 - 08:33 with the slower end being 09:01 to 09:51. I put my 5K time into the Hanson race equivalency calculator and it gave me my actual PBs for the 1 mile and 4 Mile with a long run training pace of between 08:01 - 09:01. I tihnk you could drive yourself mad with all these calculators! Based on all of the above and how I've been feeling I am comfortable with a long run pace of between 8:30 ish to 9:30, I expect that as the mileage increases the pace will slow accordingly.

In relation to the marathon itself I feel that you need a target and that it should be a genuine target. One of lessons I learnt from Limerick was that the lack of a clear target caused doubts to creep in on the day and when things got tough I cracked. I firmly believe that 3:50 is achievable, based on a quantifiable combination of recent races and training. I am also hopeful that the lessons learned from Limerick will make me stronger mentally. If it transpires that it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world and there is always another race, another day. I appreciate the feedback and its given me something to think about.

Tuesday - 14th August
    8 miles - Progression Run

Due to kids training and matches I needed to get a bit creative with my timing for runs this week. As I didn't think I'd get the opportunity to do a proper speed session I thought I'd try a progression run to move through the gears a bit. I felt a bit creaky for the first couple of miles, like I needed a drop of WD40 or something. However as the pace started to increase I could feel my legs start to loosen out. The aim was to try and keep the increases in pace fairly consistent and get used to maintaining it at different effort levels. In that regard I was very pleased as I found the increases reasonably easy except for the last one. The miles were 9:05, 8:46, 8:25, 8:05, 7:50, 7:33, 7:26 and 9:48 for the cool down. As I completed my cool down It was noticeable that the evenings are really starting to close in a bit, mad to think that the summer evening runs are coming to an end. I did a bit of an NCT on my shoes, currently rotating two pairs of Nike Zoom Elites and a pair of Brooks Ghost 10s. One of the Nikes, my Limerick Marathon pair, have done 568 miles and the Ghosts have 640 miles. Both are looking and feeling a bit rough now, to be fair they don't owe me anything. Probably time to go shopping sooner rather than later.

Wednesday -15th August
    5 Miles - Recovery

So based on some sound advice I decided to try and treat this run as a pure recovery run. To be honest it was hard to keep the pace down at the start, it felt a bit artificial if that makes sense. However after a couple of miles I was able to stop looking at the watch and just keep the rhytmn going. The mile splits were 10:00, 9:51, 9:24, 9:23 & 9:53 for a 9:42 avg. I wore my Brooks Ghosts and they felt like cement blocks compared to the Nikes. Its amazing what difference a couple of ounces makes. They are unbelievably comfortable though.I must admit I was happy with the run and something to include going forward.

Thursday - 16th August
    9 miles - w/4.5 Miles Tempo

After spending the day on a family outing, probably the last before back to school, I was feeling a bit lazy before heading out for this run. I thought I might be on my own but it turned out that there were six of us going out. The consensus was a few steady miles to start and then increase the pace for 4 miles (c 7:30 pace). The first few miles were nice and relaxed, lots of chatting, until we hit the main road and the pace increased. The group splintered slightly but everyone was relatively comfortable with the pace. The miles flew by and it turned out to be a really enjoyable run. There were two quicker miles when the lads pushed on but I was happy to go with it and it felt very manageable. The mile splits were 8:36, 8:35, 8:22, 7:33, 7:32, 7:14, 7:04 & 3:51 for the .5 mile. I finished with a nice easy cool down mile which brought the total for the day to 9 miles. I was delighted with this session, so far this week is tipping along nicely.

Friday - 17th August
    5 Miles - Recovery

After putting in a good effort on Thursday I headed out with a couple of the lads for an easy run. This 5 mile loop is one of my favourites route in the winter as it is in town and all lit up. The run itself was nice and relaxed, 9:26 average, miles in the bank.

Sunday - 18th August
    17 Miles - Long Run

I had hoped to get out on Saturday for a mini speed session but a never ending blitz put an end to that so I felt nice and fresh for this one. The plan was 9 minute miles and not get sucked into running with a quicker group. A nice group of 10 hit the road at 7am in almost perfect running conditions. As usual we all ran the first mile together and then started to split up. The miles flew by and the run itself was pretty uneventful. I was happy that I was able to knock out 8:55 miles without constantly having to check the watch. The fella I was running with was feeling good at the 13 mile mark so we said we'd quicken up a bit of the last couple of miles and finished with a 8:35, 8:25 & 8:12. The average for the 17 miles was 9:01 with elevation of about 690 feet.

I am delighted with this run and week in general. The pace felt very comfortable and I reckon I could have done another couple of easy miles if I needed to. I remember the first 17 miler I did as part of the Limerick plan and it was torturous. The pace was slightly faster but so was my HR, considerably so. This morning I felt that I was running within myself. This has been a good week training wise, couple of quicker runs and a decent long run, while also minding myself a wee bit. A total of 44 miles for the week is less than the training plan but I didn't want to overextend myself this week. I also need to sit down and figure out how I'm going to work around a few races coming up in the next month. There is the Dingle Half, John Buckley 10 Mile, Charleville Half and Cork to Cobh 15 miler. I'm not sure I will be able, or even if it would be wise, to do all of them.

Monday - 20th August
    8.25 miles - Steady Run

This turned out to be another enjoyable club run, five of us headed out at a nice leisurely pace with plenty of chat. We got through the 10K mark in around 57 mins and finished strong for an average of 8:46. I was happy the way the body was feeling after the long run the previous day.

Tuesday - 21st August
    6 miles - Intervals

Due to a manic day in work I didn't get out for this one till well after 8, the evenings are really starting to pull in. The plan was 2 miles warm up, 1600m @ 6:50, 1:30 recovery, two sets of 800m @ 6:40 with 2:00 recovery and 1600m @ 06:50 with a cool down. As it was getting dark I decided to reduce the warm up to one mile. I was doing this session with a buddy who hadn't done intervals in a while so was hoping to hit his own paces. I made a bit of a mess up of inputting the session in the watch, put in .5 km rather then .5 mile, which really confused me in the middle of the session.
    Overall I was happy enough with the splits considering my mistake, 9:08, 06:50, 06:52(500m), 06:36(500m), 6:54 with two miles cool down at the end. The effort felt manageable and I would hope that this would be my range for 4 Miles to 10K at the moment. I'll find out soon enough as there is another local 4 mile race Thursday evening where fingers crossed I can come close to another sub 27.

Thursday - 23rd August
    4 mile race
    Another local 4 mile race on a course that I train on very regularly. I was eager to see if the increase in miles over the last couple of weeks would be a good thing or not for the shorter races. The target was to repeat my sub 27 of a couple of weeks ago.
    As it was so local we had a big turn out from the club, so big that even though I was an hour early I spent so much time chatting I only got in a half mile warm up before the start. There was a big turnout, over 300, with the start on a narrow road. I managed to get up to where I thought was a reasonable spot about 4 rows back from the front but a big group come from the opposite direction and I found myself pushed back a good bit just prior to the gun going off. The first half mile was very messy, the road was very narrow with a bad surface by the ditch. Due to the usual confusion as to where people should line up there was a lot of lateral movement to get around people and a lot of energy expended to extricate myself to some space. At this stage I fell in with two guys that I usually target and decided to stay with them for as long as possible. The first mile was done in 6:26 which I was surprised with but not overly concerned with. I spent most of the second mile really focusing on staying in step with the guys and using course knowledge to push on where I could. Mile 2 flashed up as 6:32 on the watch and I can really feel the effort now. I was between the two guys now and I could see that we were gaining on a big group ahead of us, the low 26:xx group. I really started to feel the pressure and I could sense the pace dropping as the 3rd mile was completed in 6:47. I was trying to calculate what I needed to do for the last mile to get a PB and I figured anything under 7 mins would do. I could feel the focus begin to slip and I was passed twice in the space of about 20 seconds, first time I'd been passed since half a mile into the race. I tried to go with them but the legs had nothing. The last 500m had a good crowd of supporters and I tried to summon something up. Just then I was passed again and thought enough is enough. I put on a bit of a sprint to try and pass her but to be fair she responded in kind and just got in ahead of me. I stopped the watch in 26:57 with a last mile of 7:10. I gratefully took a bottle of water and a very decent goodie bag and slumped to the ground. Initially I was very disappointed with how I finished the race and that I didn't PB. I shouted on the rest of the club mates and enjoyed a great spread back in the community hall.
    When I thought a bit more on the race afterwards I realised that it was a good run and showed improvement. I did my 2nd fastest ever 5k during the race and know that I can take a chunk off the time.

Friday - 24th August
    8 miles -tempo/threshold
    This run as it turned was completely unintentional and unnecessary. I was out all day Friday and thought that I would miss training. However I managed to finish earlier than expected and thought I'd head down and try and catch up with the lads who were supposed to be doing an easy run. To shorten the story I didn't catch them and did 7.25 miles at a decent clip. The splits were 7:37, 7:15, 7:22, 7:03, 7:08, 7:11, 6:58 & 7:21 for the bit at the end. I didn't check my watch during the run and tried to keep the pace honest but not red line it. The avg HR afterwards was 150 which is right in the middle of Z3. I did a very easy .75 mile to bring it up to the 8 miles then. When I got home I realised that I had done a 10K PB in the middle of the run which was a surprise, it goes to show how poorly I judged the recent 10K I suppose. Hopefully it is the sign of a potential 10 mile PB in a couple of weeks time.

Sunday - 26th August
    17 miles - LSR
    Like a lot of runners around the country I woke up early Sunday morning to the sound of rain beating down outside. My first reaction was leave it off but I suppose the fact that we had a group run organised and that I really want to do a good marathon got me out of bed. The five of us set off at 7am and it was truly miserable. The first 7 miles were a complete dose, shoes and socks were drenched. It was the first morning where it was noticeable that it was still a bit dark. Hopefully we'll be able to get another couple of weeks out of the early starts for the long runs. The run itself was a bit of a slog, the pace should have been very easy, 9:28 avg in the end, but felt laboured. This was a direct contrast to the 17 mile run the previous week in a 9:01 avg where I felt I could have ran for another 3/4 miles. Without making excuses I think the efforts of Thursday & Friday were still in the legs. I was glad to get it done and threw in a few laps of the pitch at the end to bring it up to 18 miles for the morning. I picked up a blister on my big toe, first one for nearly two years and the seam went on my Brooks, which to be fair owed me nothing after 680ish miles. Other than that I seem to be unscathed from the run. I have no doubt that without the fact that I was in a training group I would not have gone out in the morning. This brought me up to 45 miles for the week and 149 miles for the month.

Thursday - 23rd August
    4 mile race
    Another local 4 mile race on a course that I train on very regularly. I was eager to see if the increase in miles over the last couple of weeks would be a good thing or not for the shorter races. The target was to repeat my sub 27 of a couple of weeks ago.
    As it was so local we had a big turn out from the club, so big that even though I was an hour early I spent so much time chatting I only got in a half mile warm up before the start. There was a big turnout, over 300, with the start on a narrow road. I managed to get up to where I thought was a reasonable spot about 4 rows back from the front but a big group come from the opposite direction and I found myself pushed back a good bit just prior to the gun going off. The first half mile was very messy, the road was very narrow with a bad surface by the ditch. Due to the usual confusion as to where people should line up there was a lot of lateral movement to get around people and a lot of energy expended to extricate myself to some space. At this stage I fell in with two guys that I usually target and decided to stay with them for as long as possible. The first mile was done in 6:26 which I was surprised with but not overly concerned with. I spent most of the second mile really focusing on staying in step with the guys and using course knowledge to push on where I could. Mile 2 flashed up as 6:32 on the watch and I can really feel the effort now. I was between the two guys now and I could see that we were gaining on a big group ahead of us, the low 26:xx group. I really started to feel the pressure and I could sense the pace dropping as the 3rd mile was completed in 6:47. I was trying to calculate what I needed to do for the last mile to get a PB and I figured anything under 7 mins would do. I could feel the focus begin to slip and I was passed twice in the space of about 20 seconds, first time I'd been passed since half a mile into the race. I tried to go with them but the legs had nothing. The last 500m had a good crowd of supporters and I tried to summon something up. Just then I was passed again and thought enough is enough. I put on a bit of a sprint to try and pass her but to be fair she responded in kind and just got in ahead of me. I stopped the watch in 26:57 with a last mile of 7:10. I gratefully took a bottle of water and a very decent goodie bag and slumped to the ground. Initially I was very disappointed with how I finished the race and that I didn't PB. I shouted on the rest of the club mates and enjoyed a great spread back in the community hall.
    When I thought a bit more on the race afterwards I realised that it was a good run and showed improvement. I did my 2nd fastest ever 5k during the race and know that I can take a chunk off the time.

Friday - 24th August
    8 miles -tempo/threshold
    This run as it turned was completely unintentional and unnecessary. I was out all day Friday and thought that I would miss training. However I managed to finish earlier than expected and thought I'd head down and try and catch up with the lads who were supposed to be doing an easy run. To shorten the story I didn't catch them and did 7.25 miles at a decent clip. The splits were 7:37, 7:15, 7:22, 7:03, 7:08, 7:11, 6:58 & 7:21 for the bit at the end. I didn't check my watch during the run and tried to keep the pace honest but not red line it. The avg HR afterwards was 150 which is right in the middle of Z3. I did a very easy .75 mile to bring it up to the 8 miles then. When I got home I realised that I had done a 10K PB in the middle of the run which was a surprise, it goes to show how poorly I judged the recent 10K I suppose. Hopefully it is the sign of a potential 10 mile PB in a couple of weeks time.

Sunday - 26th August
    17 miles - LSR
    Like a lot of runners around the country I woke up early Sunday morning to the sound of rain beating down outside. My first reaction was leave it off but I suppose the fact that we had a group run organised and that I really want to do a good marathon got me out of bed. The five of us set off at 7am and it was truly miserable. The first 7 miles were a complete dose, shoes and socks were drenched. It was the first morning where it was noticeable that it was still a bit dark. Hopefully we'll be able to get another couple of weeks out of the early starts for the long runs. The run itself was a bit of a slog, the pace should have been very easy, 9:28 avg in the end, but felt laboured. This was a direct contrast to the 17 mile run the previous week in a 9:01 avg where I felt I could have ran for another 3/4 miles. Without making excuses I think the efforts of Thursday & Friday were still in the legs. I was glad to get it done and threw in a few laps of the pitch at the end to bring it up to 18 miles for the morning. I picked up a blister on my big toe, first one for nearly two years and the seam went on my Brooks, which to be fair owed me nothing after 680ish miles. Other than that I seem to be unscathed from the run. I have no doubt that without the fact that I was in a training group I would not have gone out in the morning. This brought me up to 45 miles for the week and 149 miles for the month.

A race followed by a tempo? All you need is some proper structure to your training and you will be amazed with the improvement. You have to let the body recover. Great to see you loving it so much.

• Advertisement

A race followed by a tempo? All you need is some proper structure to your training and you will be amazed with the improvement. You have to let the body recover. Great to see you loving it so much.

Yeah to be honest I feel a bit clueless as well as plan less at the moment. When I was training for Limerick I followed the plan to the letter. This marathon cycle I'm a bit all over the place. I think deep down I'd have preferred to have spent the summer getting faster but FOMO for Dublin meant I jumped into another marathon cycle straight away. I need to decide on a plan and stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah to be honest I feel a bit clueless as well as plan less at the moment. When I was training for Limerick I followed the plan to the letter. This marathon cycle I'm a bit all over the place. I think deep down I'd have preferred to have spent the summer getting faster but FOMO for Dublin meant I jumped into another marathon cycle straight away. I need to decide on a plan and stick with it.

I hear ya on this. I do have a plan for Dublin, but I keep messing it around a bit which probably isn't sensible. Feel like I was way more focused for Limerick.

Monday - 27th August
    5.25 Miles - Steady Run
    Managed to get out for the Monday club run despite a day of travelling. Due to time constraints I could only do some of the run with the group. I tried to get a few laps in on the pitch to take it easy on the knees. I felt ok after the long run the previous day, avg 8:40.

Tuesday - 28th August
    4.5 Miles - 4*800m
    Didn't get out till late for this one so I was limited as to where I could run. I was going to do a couple of easy miles but I found the thought of 16 plus slow laps a bit boring. I decided to do a mile warm up, then 800m without a target and then use that as the benchmark for the other reps with a 60 second recovery. I was surprised when the 800m passed in 6:40 pace, I had expected it to be low 6:xx with the effort. Probably not a bad thing as I managed to hit the pace easily enough for the next 3 reps. I did a very easy cool down and got the 4.5 miles in. Looking back on the splits I was happy enough, 3:22, 3:21,3:23 & 3:24

Thursday - 30th August
    12 Miles - Steady
    After a busy couple of days getting the kids settled into school, I was looking forward to getting out for a decent run. I haven't been able to get too many of these medium midweek runs in lately so I went down early and got a mile warm up before we started. The run itself was a nice pace with a lot of chat about how fellas were finding the training. There are 5 marathon first timers training for Dublin with a couple of guys going for marathon number 5 or 6, so a nice mix. The run itself was relatively uneventful except for my blister popping and being chased by a couple of dogs. It was my longest run to date in the Brooks Ghost 11 and they are every bit as comfortable as the previous iterations I've worn. I hope to use them for a lot of the training runs and then wear the lighter Nikes for the marathon. All in it was 12 miles at an average of 8:30. I decided not to do the Dingle half at the weekend, just as well as there is a juvenile GAA blitz, and focus on getting 20 miles done Sunday morning. After that I'll do a mini taper and try and have a rattle off the JB 10 Miler next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I hear ya on this. I do have a plan for Dublin, but I keep messing it around a bit which probably isn't sensible. Feel like I was way more focused for Limerick.

I can totally identify with this. I think for me for my 1st marathon i was so petrified that if i didn't follow the plan to the letter i would spontaneously combust or something :pac: but this time i am more relaxed and my attitude to the plan is the same... I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing as long as you're still applying a bit of common sense especially around recovery after big runs/races.

ariana` wrote: »
    I think for me for my 1st marathon i was so petrified that if i didn't follow the plan to the letter i would spontaneously combust or something :pac: but this time i am more relaxed and my attitude to the plan is the same...

Couldn't agree more, the first one is so scary that you just have to trust in a plan or process. I just want to get this one done and try and enjoy it. I can feel a bit of pressure to go sub 4:00, mainly self imposed to be fair.

Friday - 31st August
    5.25 miles - hills
    I hadn't done any specific hill work in a couple of weeks so was looking forward to heading out for a few miles with the group. I had decided in advance that I wouldn't do the normal 7 mile run and just do five repeats. The effort was honest without pushing it too much. The intervals ranges for the uphill were about a minute slower then normal, I did try one quicker one at the end and I was happy with that. It was an enjoyable run in the pelting rain with over 1,000 ft of elevation. This run brought me up to 176 miles for August which is the most I've ever done in a month.

Saturday - 1st September
    5.25 miles - easy
    I missed my morning window to get this done and after a couple of hours at a GAA blitz I threw on the runners and decided to start the month off with a few miles. I was actually a bit apprehensive about the planned 20 mile run the following day so just wanted to stretch the legs. It was a grand easy 5.25 miles in a 9:14 avg.

Sunday - 2nd September
    20 Miles - Long Run
    This was the big one! I didn't enjoy either of the 20 milers I did for Limerick and if anything they dented the confidence a small bit. The plan for this was to get the miles in at a comfortable pace. We set off nice and early on a lovely morning for running. The group split into the normal pace groups and there were three of us who ran the full distance step for step. We passed 10K in 58 min (9:26 avg), 10 Miles in 1:33 (9:18 avg), 13.1 miles in 2:01 (9:13 avg) and finished the 20 miles in 3:03 (9:09 avg). The last two miles were done in 08:47 & 08:37. I could definitely feel the increase in effort for those two miles but other then that the body felt good. I took 3 gels, one with caffeine which was the first time, and was happy with the refueling strategy. Did a small cool down at the end which brought me up to 53 miles for the week.
    Next week is a bit of a step back week with the John Buckley 10 Mile race on Saturday evening. This was one of my favorite races last year and I'd love to put in a good effort next weekend. I think sub 75 is achievable and I'll try and have a rattle off it. I checked my calendar and this will be race 24 so far this year. I was a bit surprised at the number. There is a lot of local club 5K and 4 Mile races which is one of the benefits of having so many strong clubs locally. The loss of the Ballycotton Summer Series was obviously impossible to replace but it did open up a few dates for new races which is a good thing also.

Monday - 3rd September
    6 miles - easy
    I badly needed this run, the body felt very creaky after the 20 miler the previous day. The first mile felt tough but everything loosened out after 15 minutes or so. I made a conscious effort to keep the pace firmly around the 9 minute mark and by the end felt good. All in 6 miles at 8:59 avg

Tuesday - 4th September
    6 miles - alternating
    The plan for this was alternating 08:40/07:40 miles. I was badly caught for time so had to forgo the warm up and get straight to it. For some reason I felt full of running for this one. I misjudged my pace for the first mile and when I checked my watch I was at 08:05 after half a mile. I hit the brakes and passed the first mile in 08:23. I decided that this would be the benchmark for the easy laps. The splits in the end were 8:23, 7:40, 8:25, 07:41, 08:24 & 07:24. Nice session and I felt good afterwards.

Wednesday - 5th September
    8 miles - easy
    I hit town for this one as the evenings are really closing in. Nothing overly interesting about this run, I tried to keep the effort easy and had a good chat with the lads. 8 miles in 08:50 avg. The plan is for a mini tempo run tomorrow evening, rest Friday and then have a cut off the 10 miler on Saturday. I have a habit of not racing the 10 miles plus races, just treat them as a time trial and hope not to implode. I think I'll change tack with this one and go out at a reasonable pace for the first 4 miles and then push on. I did this in just over 80 minutes last year so I should better that but I would really love to go sub 75 mins for the first time.

Thursday - 6th September
    10 miles - too fast

I learned a bit of a lesson with this one. The plan was for a moderate tempo session in advance of the race at the weekend. I wanted to up the miles slightly so decided to go down early and do some laps of the field beforehand. Grand job, 3 miles around 8:30 pace, comfortable. I then met the lads and started into the run, I was wearing a long sleeve top and didn't pay attention to the pace. I was chatting away, thought it was about 7:50 ish but nothing mad. I was a bit surprised then when some of the lads started to drop back. I checked the watch and saw average pace was just under 8 so kept going. The lad I was with doesn't run with a watch (proper old school) so we kept going. I hadn't realised that the slower warm up miles were obviously skewing the pace. The end of the story is a 10 mile run in 1:18, about 3 mins outside my PB. The rest of the lads were fairly wrecked at the end with the pace also. It seemed that noone wanted to be the one to say slow down. I'm going to have to be more aware of the pace and be a bit more selfish with my pacing. Despite all that it was a good run.

Saturday - 8th September
    John Buckley 10 Mile Race

Full disclosure, I really wanted to go sub 75 for this. My PB was 75:10 ish from Mallow earlier this year and I felt that with the training and mileage I'd done since I should be faster. Despite really wanting to do well I was trying to make excuses in the lead up - went too quick Thursday, late night Friday, too busy with family stuff during the day. The weather also was being used as an excuse. I was in serious danger of just dialing this one in and doing a 77/78 min race and being disgusted with myself with ages. I was really fortunate that there was a big group from the club doing this with many of my regular DCM training partners also lining up and targeting PBs. I got a bit of a pep talk from one of the lads, mainly along the lines of cop yourself on, and started to get in the zone. I did a decent warm up and accepted that the weather was going to be crap but that it would be the same for everyone. I got another boost when just before the start a good friend of mine,with a sub 67 min 10 mile PB, said he'd run with me.

Miles 1-4
    The start was fairly congested but at least this year there was a timing mat at the start which seemed to help with the positioning of people. We tucked in between the 70 & 80 pacers with a few club mates saying that they would keep me in sight and then try chase me down in the second half, sound lads. Whistle went bang on 6pm and off we went. The crowd wasn't too bad and with minimal side stepping and weaving we found ourselves in some space to run. The pace was brisk but felt manageable. To start the race there is two laps of the marina which while flat has a dodgy enough surface in patches which wasn't helped with surface water and wet leaves. There was great support along the route, especially considering the weather, with loads of club mates out in force. I was beginning to feel the pace coming up to the water stop at four miles and got a flash back of the previous years race when I started to wilt at this point. This gave me a bit of a spurt and managed to plough on. Splits of 7:13, 7:11, 7:17 & 7:20
    Miles 5-8
    At this point the course heads out towards Blackrock where this is the only real hilly part of the course. I had been checking the mile splits and knew that some time was being banked and I wanted to try maintain this for as long as possible. I was also paying attention now to who was running around us with a small group forming which was helpful. So into Blackrock, with great support, and up the hill. I decided to attack this as much as I could and ease back on the downhill which seemed to work. Enjoyed the downhill past the castle and onto the walkway. Anyone local or who has done the marathon or half will be familiar with this part of the course. It's nice and flat but as you are right by the water completely exposed in parts to the wind. I was starting to struggle here and really had to dig in. There was one or two right turns directly into the wind which were tough but to be fair the mini group took turns pulling from the front. The final bit of mile 8 has a ramp to bring you off the walkway heading across the motorway which a dose, felt it in the legs. Splits were 7:20, 7:19, 7:32 & 7:36
    Miles 9-10
    I was in trouble at this stage, the ramp over the motorway had taken a lot out of me. I could feel the pace dropping and checked the watch to see 7:55 avg for the mile. I was also starting to be passed by a few people. My running partner really helped here and got me to dig in. The plan was to get to the mile marker and then assess how the body was. Mile 9 is a bit of a drag, very slight ordinarily but I was feeling it and starting to waver. I was delighted to hear the shouts of one mile to go from a few people. The finish line had changed from last year but I wasn't sure where to. We took a sharp enough left turn down towards the Atlantic pond and I knew I had to be close to the line. Great shouts of encouragement from club mates but I also knew the lads were closing on me. This gave me a bit of a jolt and determined not to be passed, I emptied the tank in the last 600m. I could see the clock ticking towards 74 and just kept running through the finish and stopped the watch. Straightaway I thought I was going to be sick but thankfully it passed quickly and I checked the watch to see 1:13:51. I think I was too tired for it to register immediately and wobbled over to the first couple of club mates who had finished. The rest of the lads followed in quickly and it turned out to be almost PBs all around. Splits for the last two miles were 7:38 & 7:18.

So after that lengthy ramble it turned out to be a great evening. It really is a quality race, well organised by people who know what makes a good race, with a serious field and a great spread afterwards. Due to the PBs and great runs had by all this will be a real confidence boost as we head towards the final weeks of DCM training. Personally I'm very happy with the time, almost 6:30 mins quicker then last years races and 100 places of an improvement. I am confident that there is more scope for improvement at this distance and I'd be hoping to target some of the 10 mile races next spring. I am probably most pleased that, with the help of my pacer and the fear of being passed, I stuck with it and didn't give in when it got tough. Job done, now back to the marathon training with Charleville half being the next target race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done in the John Buckley. Great time. It was a brilliant race.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done in the John Buckley. Great time. It was a brilliant race.

Thanks I was fairly happy with it, it felt like an honest effort. Well done to you on your race in the middle of a long run, very impressive. Your training is going really well.

Advertisement