Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-12-2019, 16:52   #16
FrankC21
Registered User
 
FrankC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoptheClocks View Post
I'm on my 5th Snag. Down to a handful of small items and one major problem in the bathroom. I've had to drawdown my mortgage.I had to get it extended and that date has now expired. I was supposed to get called back today but wasn't. I'm hoping that this is due to them working on the problem in the bathroom but he's probably not bothered to ring me. I think he's just hoping I take the house before xmas without him finishing it. He has it in the contract that I have to close on the house 28 days after the completion, with him fixing problems within reason. That date is approaching.
Very stressful going back to see things not done.
Fifth snag? In our contract we have 14 days to close the sale after given the completion date. The gave us 6 months on our letter of offer, does it mean we have to drawdown before that?
FrankC21 is offline  
Advertisement
19-12-2019, 20:32   #17
StoptheClocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 166
That is standard in contracts now. I had 28 days to complete (counting 14 days builder holidays at xmas). I completed today, I should get the keys tomorrow. You have 14 days to complete, but he has to fix anything within reason.
I got a professional snagger. €250 for first snag, €125 for revisit.
Snag 1 = 75 items + the kitchen wasn't finished and the gas wasn't connected.
snag 2 = 20 items.
snag 3 less than 10
Snag 4 the mrs came and found new problems.
Snag 5 = 3 items left
snag 6 = I had enough, I wasn't happy with the finish on a few things but decided I'll live with it.

My mortgage expired. I had a contact at the bank that I kept updated. They expended my mortgage by a month. You can drawdown your mortgage if the house has a completion certificate.
StoptheClocks is offline  
20-12-2019, 23:10   #18
gandalf
Registered User
 
gandalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 23,529
Yep its stressful towards the end. We closed yesterday. The original date given by the builder was August/September, we expected it to be November but it crawled along. Irish Water weren't the issue for us the ESB were. Then it was a delay with the homebond cert. Then our bank decided to throw a spanner in the works when we were expected to close last week, cue three days of complete and utter stress as we waited with hope to close before Christmas. Because of the delay we won't get some of the flooring in before Christmas and we probably won't get the appliances in either until the new year but at least we're in.

All I can say is hang in there, having come out the other side I can confirm its the most stress I have ever felt and the most stress me and the missus have been under in our relationship. All we want to do is sleep after this. Good luck and remember you are nearly there.
gandalf is offline  
Thanks from:
03-01-2020, 10:36   #19
FrankC21
Registered User
 
FrankC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 230
I want to change my current job, and there is another job that will pay me higher and less stress than my current one. If I change job now before drawdown will that affect our mortgage application and will the bank ask for another statements, really hate my current job at the moment it is just ****ing toxic people at work and I feel like a trap ****ing prisoner dealing with gob****e at work, each time I go to work I just can't bare the thought of spending the rest of my day with these people.
FrankC21 is offline  
03-01-2020, 10:49   #20
guy101
Registered User
 
guy101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC21 View Post
I want to change my current job, and there is another job that will pay me higher and less stress than my current one. If I change job now before drawdown will that affect our mortgage application and will the bank ask for another statements, really hate my current job at the moment it is just ****ing toxic people at work and I feel like a trap ****ing prisoner dealing with gob****e at work, each time I go to work I just can't bare the thought of spending the rest of my day with these people.
Im in the exact same boat as you. Cant wait to leave my job!!
You’re much further along than me.

You have to maintain the status quo until drawdown (from what I’ve read).
You’d likely be on probation in a new job. So you’d have to wait 6 months or until the probation period is finished before reapplying.

Last edited by guy101; 03-01-2020 at 10:51. Reason: Typo
guy101 is offline  
Advertisement
03-01-2020, 14:40   #21
FrankC21
Registered User
 
FrankC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy101 View Post
Im in the exact same boat as you. Cant wait to leave my job!!
You’re much further along than me.

You have to maintain the status quo until drawdown (from what I’ve read).
You’d likely be on probation in a new job. So you’d have to wait 6 months or until the probation period is finished before reapplying.
FFS, i guess it is what they say, things will get worse before they get better.
FrankC21 is offline  
03-01-2020, 14:42   #22
Dolbhad
Registered User
 
Dolbhad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC21 View Post
I want to change my current job, and there is another job that will pay me higher and less stress than my current one. If I change job now before drawdown will that affect our mortgage application and will the bank ask for another statements, really hate my current job at the moment it is just ****ing toxic people at work and I feel like a trap ****ing prisoner dealing with gob****e at work, each time I go to work I just can't bare the thought of spending the rest of my day with these people.
You have to stay in your current role until drawn down. The bank can look for updated documents at any stage and if they see a job change, they won’t release funds. Also technically by agreeing to the loan offer you agree to inform them of any changes in your financial circumstances.
Dolbhad is offline  
03-01-2020, 23:02   #23
L-M
Registered User
 
L-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC21 View Post
FFS, i guess it is what they say, things will get worse before they get better.
I knew someone in the exact same position. They got their keys at 3 and walked out of the job at 4.

You’re not far off, it’ll be worth the wait in the end. No point messing it up now as if you had to re apply and wait 6 months etc etc the whole landscape could have changed
L-M is offline  
04-01-2020, 13:57   #24
Humour Me
Registered User
 
Humour Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 304
Apply for the job anyway, if you get it and still haven’t drawn down, just let them know that you have to work a notice period with your current employer. Once you have the snagging done, things can move quite quickly, it would be a pity to lose out on a better job due to timing issues.
Humour Me is offline  
Advertisement
09-01-2020, 11:42   #25
FrankC21
Registered User
 
FrankC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 230
Hi Guys,

So we were told today by the builders that the water will be connected next Wednesday and that snagging we can do the snagging on the 16th of January. At this stage, after cancelling it 4 times already, we don't want to get our hopes up, we don't know what to believe really?

And, I am confused, the bank sent out the valuation guy and did the valuation report before the holidays on the 19th of December, even though I rang the valuation office to hold it off, as the builders cancelled the snagging, I don't understand how?, we did not do any snagging yet and we were told that electricity and water was not connected but on the valuation report everything was working and the bank approved it.
FrankC21 is offline  
09-01-2020, 11:46   #26
Salary Negotiator
Registered User
 
Salary Negotiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC21 View Post
Hi Guys,

So we were told today by the builders that the water will be connected next Wednesday and that snagging we can do the snagging on the 16th of January. At this stage, after cancelling it 4 times already, we don't want to get our hopes up, we don't know what to believe really?

And, I am confused, the bank sent out the valuation guy and did the valuation report before the holidays on the 19th of December, even though I rang the valuation office to hold it off, as the builders cancelled the snagging, I don't understand how?, we did not do any snagging yet and we were told that electricity and water was not connected but on the valuation report everything was working and the bank approved it.
Valuations on a new build are often a box ticking exercise.

I was mortgage approved with UB and they sent a valuer out to value the house (which at the time was behind fencing and not accessible) who just phoned me and asked how much I had bought the house for.

I asked the builder if he had heard from the valuer and he hadn't.
Salary Negotiator is online now  
10-01-2020, 17:34   #27
StoptheClocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 166
I was told that some valuers only looked at the show house in the estate that I bought in. Box ticked.
StoptheClocks is offline  
10-01-2020, 21:40   #28
riclad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,777
It,s simple the purpose of a bank survey,valuation is to make sure theres no major physical problems with the house,
eg the house is at Least worth the mortgage amount.
They just walk around the house and look in all the room,s and the garden.
the surveyor will just presume the water and esb will be connected up
soon, at least in the case of a new build house.
it,s a formality .the good news is the bank approved it.
riclad is offline  
14-01-2020, 14:59   #29
FrankC21
Registered User
 
FrankC21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 230
Hi guys,

So this is the situation at the moment, We received an email from the estate agent that the water supply will be connected this Wednesday, tomorrow, and we can do the snagging thursday 16th January.

I informed our solicitor about the email, he advised us to wait for the builder's solicitor to confirm the snagging date, because they cancelled it 4 times already.

However, I spoke with the engineer that will do the snagging for us, she stated that we don't have to confirm the snagging through the builder's solicitor - i know she want to get paid as well.

She spoke with the foreman to find out what was the delay about and she explained to me that before the Christmas holidays the water board have detected a contamination with the water supply coming through the pipes that is why they had to close the connection, the water board said the pipes were old but the foreman argued that the pipes were newly installed.

Now the water board is going to open the connection this Wednesday and test the water. The engineer want us to do the snagging because she believes that the house is already complete and there will be no trouble to do the snagging.

Part of me want to do the snagging just to get started and find what faults there are and rectify it immediately. However, another part of me is saying to wait until we get a reply from our solicitor.

What you guys think? Should we go ahead and do the snag anyway I want to see the house and find faults as soon as possible this is dragging long enough.

Last edited by FrankC21; 14-01-2020 at 15:02.
FrankC21 is offline  
14-01-2020, 15:11   #30
Salary Negotiator
Registered User
 
Salary Negotiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 680
I’d go ahead, sure what’s the snagger going to check wrt the water? That it’s running. Nothing else.
Salary Negotiator is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet