Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing land purchase loan providers

• 15-02-2019 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anybody here has had any success in switching a land purchase business loan to a different provider much like switching a mortgage.

Bought a farm a few year back that is next door to the home farm. Due to me being very unprepared and not having a herd number of anything sorted out the banks were very unwilling to lend money. Only one lender was willing to entertain me but the rate is north of 7%. With GLAS and SFP covering the repayments it's basically paying for itself but I would still like to drop the rate cos the bustards are taking enough off me. I have approached the bank I got the loan from and they are completely unwilling to drop the rate as you can imagine. Thanks to a bit of help from the old man to start me off the loan is only about 40% of the land value.

Has anyone here successfully switched a similar type of loan to negotiate a better rate? What extra costs would be involved in switching if it is possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I imagine that the loan is sub 100K. Switching will cost you around 3k at a guess biggest fee will be lenders solicitors which you have no control over. This is the big issue with land registery gone digital there was a stage if you gave the physical deeds to the bank for well secured loans they were happy. 7% is crazy money for a secured loan. All you can do is shop around because of fees for secured look at unsecured loans. Banks often give goodish rates around 5% for unsecured loans to clients with good records when the amount is over 50K. Another option might be local credit unions. Most have an issue in that there deposit/loan ration is crazy. They might do a 5 ish% deal on such a loan with less than 10% share

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Who2

Boi were at 5.7% unsecured on anything up to 125k last week if that’s any help. I didn’t really shop anywhere else yet so can’t tell you much about the others. As far as I’m aware 5-6% is about the run of things until you hit the 300k plus mark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

2016 land loan deal is currently at 3.25 %.and its hard enough to money for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

OP, IMO you should have no bother switching to another Bank at a lower rate assuming your repayment record is good.

You are a much better proposition / lower risk than you were when you bought the land as you now have your herd no, GLAS, payments etc sorted, you have a track record of meeting the loan repayments over the last few years and the loan to value of security is low.

I can't understand how your existing Bank would let you go, as they took a risk with you day 1 which has worked out, so now the are going to let a good customer walk out the door?

Go to another Bank, get an approval in principal and an indicative rate from them, go back to your existing Bank with the offer and look that they at least match the rate.... it will save you hassle and legal fees if you stay with you existing Bank.... or just leave them if you are not feeling the love.

Regarding a rate some others have already given you an indication - you'll prob be looking at 4 - 5 % ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnbkeane

Hi just wondering did you manage to get the loan switched to another bank with a lower rate? I’m interested in land beside me but I asked bank of Ireland and a secured land loan is 5.67 % which is very high. I know Claremorris credit union are doing 5.5% secured Agri Loan and AIB are the same. I asked the bank of Ireland Agri advisor about the 3.6% or 3.8% but he said it was 6.76 unsecured or 5.76 secured.
    jimmy G M wrote: »
    OP, IMO you should have no bother switching to another Bank at a lower rate assuming your repayment record is good.

You are a much better proposition / lower risk than you were when you bought the land as you now have your herd no, GLAS, payments etc sorted, you have a track record of meeting the loan repayments over the last few years and the loan to value of security is low.

I can't understand how your existing Bank would let you go, as they took a risk with you day 1 which has worked out, so now the are going to let a good customer walk out the door?

Go to another Bank, get an approval in principal and an indicative rate from them, go back to your existing Bank with the offer and look that they at least match the rate.... it will save you hassle and legal fees if you stay with you existing Bank.... or just leave them if you are not feeling the love.

Regarding a rate some others have already given you an indication - you'll prob be looking at 4 - 5 % ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭148multi

Johnbkeane wrote: »
    Hi just wondering did you manage to get the loan switched to another bank with a lower rate? I’m interested in land beside me but I asked bank of Ireland and a secured land loan is 5.67 % which is very high. I know Claremorris credit union are doing 5.5% secured Agri Loan and AIB are the same. I asked the bank of Ireland Agri advisor about the 3.6% or 3.8% but he said it was 6.76 unsecured or 5.76 secured.

Don't BOI have a special low interest rate loan for young farmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Johnbkeane wrote: »

Hey, well ended up buying a few more acres late last year so managed to refinance then with same bank but with a vastly reduced rate. Had got a quote from BoI for the whole lot refinanced and AIB matched it. So currently have the whole lot on 4.65% which is a hell of alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Hey, well ended up buying a few more acres late last year so managed to refinance then with same bank but with a vastly reduced rate. Had got a quote from BoI for the whole lot refinanced and AIB matched it. So currently have the whole lot on 4.65% which is a hell of alot better.

Good stuff - Banks are usually not keen to let good existing customers leave so its always worth pushing your existing bank for a better deal, especially of you have a good offer from a rival Bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Those rates are still crazy for secured loans. Banks cost of funds is basically 0 so all that is pure margin. Gouging fcukers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

I am speaking with the banks about a loan for a farm beside myself, I am a qualified young farmer.

Banked with AIB all my life, got quoted a rate for 5.5% on 70% LTV over 10 or 15 years, Ulster Bank has quoted a rate of 4.5% on 70% LTV over 20 years.

Waiting to hear back from BOI, will update you as it progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

5.5% seems a bit on the high side - will be interesting to see what BOI come back with
    Dazzler88 wrote: »
    I am speaking with the banks about a loan for a farm beside myself, I am a qualified young farmer.

Banked with AIB all my life, got quoted a rate for 5.5% on 70% LTV over 10 or 15 years, Ulster Bank has quoted a rate of 4.5% on 70% LTV over 20 years.

Waiting to hear back from BOI, will update you as it progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

On 70% LTV here on 300k, in the process at the minute
    AIB all my life and parents lives, 4% was there first offer
    BOI came back at 3.55%, AIB ended up at 3.5%.
    20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The best way to save money is to get it back into the fcukers as fast as ever you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

mf240 wrote: »
    The best way to save money is to get it back into the fcukers as fast as ever you can.

100% agree but you would not want to be tied to big repayments when things go belly up just like this year .Is there penalty for repaying extra money the good years with a fixed rate loan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Nothing wrong with making payments over 19 or 18 years either as its a great way to have a little breathing space a bad year and you dont miss it most years.people dont seem to understand that a loan is an account that use in reverse and right now its the only account paying 3.5 %plus

Advertisement