Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TURF CUTTING AUGER MACHINES ANY GOOD??

Options
  • 04-08-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

HI,

Im looking at buying a small turf cutting auger machine - just for my own use.

Its a small machine - goes down about 3 ft in total, bringing up about a foot of turf.

They cut about every 2 ft apart - like this guy here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iirmXr2yieQ&t=1s

Im just wondering, what does this guy do next year? can he cut in the same spot again, do the auger tracks close up? or can he go between the tracks next year? does it not destroy the bog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

HI,

Im looking at buying a small turf cutting auger machine - just for my own use.

Its a small machine - goes down about 3 ft in total, bringing up about a foot of turf.

They cut about every 2 ft apart - like this guy here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iirmXr2yieQ&t=1s

Im just wondering, what does this guy do next year? can he cut in the same spot again, do the auger tracks close up? or can he go between the tracks next year? does it not destroy the bog?

Difco used to make them yokes near here. I could be wrong but I thought it was against the Law to use them now since they reckoned they would "destroy the bogs" I was in a protected bog recently and there would be no turf cut there for at least 15 years. Could still see the tracks of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Still using them in parts of mayo.
    The slots close up over time but if you cut tge same place for 3 years in a row or so, it can get messy in terms of travelling the ground. Large tractors are generally not a problem but small tractor can get into trouble with large gaps overing up.
    I wouldnt agree that its terribly destructive. For me, the hopper type machines where they dig out the complete surface of the bog to get at the wet bog under seems to be a far more destructive practice.

Still using them in parts of mayo.
    The slots close up over time but if you cut tge same place for 3 years in a row or so, it can get messy in terms of travelling the ground. Large tractors are generally not a problem but small tractor can get into trouble with large gaps overing up.
    I wouldnt agree that its terribly destructive. For me, the hopper type machines where they dig out the complete surface of the bog to get at the wet bog under seems to be a far more destructive practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Worst yoak ever made. They destroy a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Ah that's very harsh. Shur won't the bank heal itself after a few years left idle. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ah that's very harsh. Shur won't the bank heal itself after a few years left idle. ??

It takes 10 years to grow 1cm of bog

It takes 10 years to grow 1cm of bog

But 2 soft edges of the cut will net together in no time. It's where you have rough drivers that the big gets messed up or with extreme over cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hempel

Sorry for bumping this up thinking of getting something like one theses. My bog has a open drain around most of it. If I start from the dyke it should drain the bog more with each pass.thinking of draining the bog with pipe and teram in the future and throw grass seed on it for light stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Makes a big hollow in the bank and all the slots cut often have nowhere to drain to making bank wetter

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Don’t laugh but with the kids off and all the virus caper I was thinking of cutting a bit with the slan this year. Bringing up a few bottles of tae in Nashes lemonade bottles and leaving the hang samwidges on the back window to heat up. I’ll have to get a box of sweet afton(great name) for the midges too. I suppose now there’s no bagging I could bring the few bottles of stout too.
    Sorry I lost myself there in my memories.
    What I wanted to ask was where would I find a slan these days as my last one I threw in a skip thinking I’d never use that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Don’t laugh but with the kids off and all the virus caper I was thinking of cutting a bit with the slan this year. Bringing up a few bottles of tae in Nashes lemonade bottles and leaving the hang samwidges on the back window to heat up. I’ll have to get a box of sweet afton(great name) for the midges too. I suppose now there’s no bagging I could bring the few bottles of stout too.
    What I wanted to ask was where would I find a slan these days as my last one I threw in a skip thinking I’d never use that again.
    Any local blacksmith/farrier with a forge could turn one for you. We still have our slean minus the handle and tbh I doubt it will ever see a handle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Us elder lemons did a bit of this in our time :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMFRFkW_6hE

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

Sacrolyte wrote: »

Jackson engineering in castlebar makes them and sells them in their shop.....

Advertisement