Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 21:34   #1
Roger Mellie Man on the Telly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 777
Grave Digging

Have you ever dug a grave?

I had to bury our dog a while back and for one man and a shovel I can attest that it's hard work.

I can see why they use mini excavators nowadays.
Roger Mellie Man on the Telly is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 21:36   #2
Fordcspri23
Banned
 
Fordcspri23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 59
Yea track machine only job, remember to put the blade behind you and track motors also while digging.
Fordcspri23 is offline  
04-12-2018, 21:40   #3
Srameen
Registered User
 
Srameen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anywhere the wild wind soothes the heart
Posts: 24,028
I have helped dig 5 or 6 graves for family members and friends. It seems to be all done by machine nowadays but at one time the family and community came together and three or four men would dig the grave. It was exceptionally hard work in some locations. Always followed by a good few drinks in the nearest bar with reminiscing about the deceased
Srameen is offline  
04-12-2018, 21:42   #4
mad muffin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,480
Dug one for a dog. Indeed it is harder than it looks.

Last edited by mad muffin; 04-12-2018 at 21:45.
mad muffin is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 21:42   #5
pleas advice
Registered User
 
pleas advice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,875
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him,
pleas advice is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 21:45   #6
MarkR
Moderator
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Shannon
Posts: 9,135
Supposed to dig down four feet for animals. Sod that.
MarkR is online now  
04-12-2018, 21:46   #7
JeffKenna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,492
I normally find it's easier to burn the body
JeffKenna is offline  
04-12-2018, 21:55   #8
feartuath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 222
Around here it is all done by local neighbours
I have dug several of them, living beside a grave yard when we were kids we used to have to watch out for bits of bones, coffin handles and name plates.
all collected and buried at the bottom of the grave.

Two years age a grave was dug for dad, my brother and I were not allowed help as it is bad luck to dig a grave for one of your own.

Lucozade and water have replaced the bottle of whiskey due to drink driving.
feartuath is offline  
04-12-2018, 21:57   #9
Archeron
Registered User
 
Archeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,007
Dug a grave for a dog and accidentally killed two fish while doing it. That was not a nice morning.
Archeron is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-12-2018, 21:58   #10
nox001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 19,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srameen View Post
I have helped dig 5 or 6 graves for family members and friends. It seems to be all done by machine nowadays but at one time the family and community came together and three or four men would dig the grave. It was exceptionally hard work in some locations. Always followed by a good few drinks in the nearest bar with reminiscing about the deceased
Still done by hand by neighbours/friends in my area.
nox001 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 22:00   #11
SEPT 23 1989
Registered User
 
SEPT 23 1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 32,987
In Dublin if you start digging a grave it's only going to end one way
SEPT 23 1989 is offline  
Thanks from:
04-12-2018, 22:03   #12
judeboy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by feartuath View Post
Around here it is all done by local neighbours
I have dug several of them, living beside a grave yard when we were kids we used to have to watch out for bits of bones, coffin handles and name plates.
all collected and buried at the bottom of the grave.

Two years age a grave was dug for dad, my brother and I were not allowed help as it is bad luck to dig a grave for one of your own.

Lucozade and water have replaced the bottle of whiskey due to drink driving.
Bad luck? Where'd you hear that?
judeboy101 is offline  
Thanks from:
04-12-2018, 22:09   #13
Raheem Euro
Registered User
 
Raheem Euro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 226
Raheem Euro is offline  
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2018, 22:16   #14
tigerboon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mellie Man on the Telly View Post
Have you ever dug a grave?

I had to bury our dog a while back and for one man and a shovel I can attest that it's hard work.

I can see why they use mini excavators nowadays.
You from Granard by any chance?
tigerboon is offline  
04-12-2018, 22:29   #15
Macdarack
Registered User
 
Macdarack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 75
In my area the friends and neighbours dig the grave and fill it in during a decade of the rosary at the end of the ceremony, nice touch.
Macdarack is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet