Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-09-2018, 08:33   #16
Mookie Blaylock

#istillbelieveher
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 08:37   #17
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
I know liberal women and they don't believe her.

What do you have to say about that?
I'm sure you do.

Is this sort of like the NO campaigners during the repeal the 8th ref who had many, many close friends and random people who would come upto them on the street and tell them that they regretted having abortons?
30-09-2018, 08:42   #18
meeeeh

This has nothing to do with end of #metoo. The conservative judge needs to be put in place before mid-therm elections. Republicans would drop him like a hot potato if they could get another candidate through.

In the same way democrats would make less of a show out of hearing if they weren't desperate to stop him. American politics at the moment is a joke.
30-09-2018, 08:45   #19
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeh View Post
This has nothing to do with end of #metoo. The conservative judge needs to be put in place before mid-therm elections. Republicans would drop him like a hot potato if they could get another candidate through.

In the same way democrats would make less of a show out of hearing if they weren't desperate to stop him. American politics at the moment is a joke.
He needs to go in for reasons far more than being conservative.

There is federal pardons at stake in this election. These sorts of appointments are bigger than Wade v roe. In fact it's dewarfed by the reason for appointing kavanagh specifically
30-09-2018, 08:55   #20
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

The most disturbing thing here is Trump and others refusal to even entertain any investigation initially.
In any normal situation or company if a person was going into such a high power role and claims were made against their character there would be and should be investigations.

For the role he's being put forward for his character means everything, Trump and many Republicans blindly supporting him isn't enough to show he's a good person....I mean for feck sake they previously backed Roy Moore even after him not denying he had a thing for teenager girls (even ignoring the sexual misconduct stuff). In fact it was well known he had a thing for them.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 09:04   #21
Dick Swiveller
Banned

I got the impression from the very start that this so-called movement was, like feminism, the preserve of wealthy middle class women crying out for attention on social media. I doubt many of the women in the working class area I live in have even heard of '#metoo'.

But it is much more sinister than a whinge-fest. What we have been seeing, in the Paddy Jackson case in the North, and in the recent hearings involving Brett Kavanaugh, has been, among many people, a discarding of the presumption of innocence and a presumption of guilt being put in its place. Stupid slogans like #ibelieveher. What do you mean you believe her? Do you know her? If I accuse you of assaulting me will you believe me, even though you know you haven't done anything wrong? The person who accuses someone of sexual assault is a complainant - NOT A VICTIM - and an accused person is the accused. It is up to a jury in a court of law, having been presented with evidence from the Defence and prosecution, to determine the outcome of such an assault - not a twitter mob who are more interested in partisan ideological point scoring.
30-09-2018, 09:05   #22
ThomasFlynn

The era of white (and particularly white male) dominance is finally coming to and end, and that's essentially what the 21st century democrats and liberals across Western Europe are building for a lot of this century.

To many Americans, and certainly to the likes of CNN etc, Brett Kavanaugh represents arrogant white male entitlement, and all over twitter amongst liberal activists I always read "I'm fed up of white people" "I'm ashamed to be white" "No more white men!" amongst the American left, some of it is quite powerful and very passionate.

Its interesting economics don't play much of a part in modern day progressivism as much anymore and rather social issues are at the forefront, it certainly seems to be that way in American politics anyway.

I think Democrats will run on #MeToo in 2020 against Trump, and keep on calling him racist sexist misogynist racist sexist misogynist etc etc. I don't think they'll concentrate too much on economics, and certainly not Bernie style economics.
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 09:08   #23
leggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeh View Post

This. Nobody involved in the political side really cares about the sexual assault aspect, Republicans have the opportunity to control the Supreme Court (with jobs for life for those involved) for the first time in yonks and that may change by the mid-terms with a potential kicking for Donald Trump coming, Democrats have seized upon this scandal to stop that from happening. All the moves involved are politically motivated and the impassioned pleas on both sides are just grandstanding to suit an end, it’s pretty disgusting and nothing at all to do with #MeToo.

Last edited by leggo; 30-09-2018 at 10:23.
30-09-2018, 09:12   #24
Malayalam

It's a circus. The false plot is the battle of the sexes but the real plot is power struggles among the elite classes while the plebs look on in awe and become more divided. In this circus either one side or the other is telling the most despicable lies - and due process lies dead on the sawdust.

I don't know who I believe, in this theatre. Two things though - it's a recovered memory on her part, those are notoriously unreliable, and I watched his full 40 minute testimony before questions - I was honestly moved by it. Either he is an outstanding and psychopathic liar or his life has been ruined by amoral disgusting people. At the moment I am leaning towards the latter.

On the bigger point regarding metoo my background is in law and the movement has trashed the presumption of innocence which is the foundation of our judicial system. It's a vigilante mob rule shambles. I don't support it in spite of the numerous assaults in my own history.
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 09:19   #25
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malayalam View Post
I watched his full 40 minute testimony before questions - I was honestly moved by it.
That was why he cried and went on about his child praying etc, it was to do just that.
If she cried as much as him they'd be people claiming she was hysterical.
30-09-2018, 09:23   #26
Dick Swiveller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
That was why he cried and went on about his child praying etc, it was to do just that.
If she cried as much as him they'd be people claiming she was hysterical.
And if he didn't get emotional people would say he was cold and uncaring. Silly partisan point scoring
30-09-2018, 09:26   #27
ThomasFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoolcup View Post
And if he didn't get emotional people would say he was cold and uncaring. Silly partisan point scoring
A lot of democrats in America are using it to suggest because he got emotional it proves he's far too unfit/emotionally unstable to get onto the court.
Thanks from:
30-09-2018, 09:28   #28
Kermit.de.frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
I say you just made it up to start this thread.

I'm just going on history here to back up my thoughts
WTF? Are you a stalker?

Stalker!!!!!!

#metoo
Thanks from:
30-09-2018, 09:28   #29
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
So you agree with me then?
If she cried as much as him she'd been called a hysterical woman.

I think we both know that to be true.

As it is she and the other women get called skanks.
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 09:28   #30
batgoat

Quote:
He also incorporated an elaborate Clinton conspiracy into it. He didn't behave remotely professionally. This included lying about the meaning of certain things he wrote, Devil's Triangle being switched into a drinking game for example cause that gives him a better image. He was under oath...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion