Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Would Reda Johnson (released by Sheff Wed) be a decent signing? Have been impressed by him any time I've watched him play - which isn't often tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Would Reda Johnson (released by Sheff Wed) be a decent signing? Have been impressed by him any time I've watched him play - which isn't often tbf.

Have been looking at other released players that might be of interest.

Sign as squad players: David Edgar, Keith Treacy, Zak Whitbread.

Worth a one year deal/punt:
    Liam Lawrence - solid wide player. 32 now but could def do a job.
    Pat McCourt - for the entertainment alone.
    Sean St. Ledger - has been top quality for Ireland at times.
    Emmanuel Frimpong - still only 22 and has looked very good in patches for Arsenal and Wolves. Injured and off form in 6 months at Barnsley.
    Jobi McAnuff/Mikele Leighertwood/Kaspers Gorkss - All BMcD stalwarts at Reading and around 31/32 years old.

1st Team: Moving for David Forde from Millwall (their Player of the Year) on a free could be a good move although I think he is happy enough to sign on there again. An position that we are looking for someone in too.

Andy Keogh and Shane Lowry are other notables that have been released but don't think either would improve the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Have been looking at other released players that might be of interest.

Sign as squad players: David Edgar, Keith Treacy, Zak Whitbread.

Worth a one year deal/punt:
    Liam Lawrence - solid wide player. 32 now but could def do a job.
    Pat McCourt - for the entertainment alone.
    Sean St. Ledger - has been top quality for Ireland at times.
    Emmanuel Frimpong - still only 22 and has looked very good in patches for Arsenal and Wolves. Injured and off form in 6 months at Barnsley.
    Jobi McAnuff/Mikele Leighertwood/Kaspers Gorkss - All BMcD stalwarts at Reading and around 31/32 years old.

1st Team: Moving for David Forde from Millwall (their Player of the Year) on a free could be a good move although I think he is happy enough to sign on there again. An position that we are looking for someone in too.

Andy Keogh and Shane Lowry are other notables that have been released but don't think either would improve the squad.

I read somewhere that we might make a move for james mclean if wigan didnt get promoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Brian Mcdermott seems to be one of the favourites for the west brom job. please god may he get it.

Brian Mcdermott seems to be one of the favourites for the west brom job. please god may he get it.

Whats Tim Sherwood at these days?

Would ye have sherwood at leeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭championc

Would love Larry back but I would expect Cellino to go with an Italian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Does anyone think that because apparently BMcD has a compensation clause in his contract of either £800,000 or £1.5 million depending on what you read that he'll be still manager next season as Cellino can't afford to sack him? Especially in light of the financial revelations that came of the LUST interview today.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Which revelations would they be?

Zaph wrote: »
    Which revelations would they be?

Info here http://thecitytalking.com/sport/2014/5/13/scales-of-costs-at-leeds-united-revealed-to-lust

Basically, club costing £100,000 a day to run and GFH had mortgaged next season's season ticket money before he took over.

So Turner twins both released by Leeds. Bet they're gutted after feeling they were right on the fringe of the first team. Expect a few more tomorrow me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Cellino also shooting his mouth off again about Brian being on a (well deserved) holiday and how nobody is in charge. This guy must be manna from heaven for the media but I'd rather he shut up and got on with the job. I'll give him until the start of the next season before making my mind up about him but so far I've yet to see any positives other than he's paying wages (which admittedly is more than the last crowd could manage)!

With Carbone in now, Cellino's cranking up the pressure on BMD right now. The Baggies would be a very tempting offer for BMD right now. I can't see any of the out of contract players getting any extensions but it will be more interesting if and now the likes of Norris, Morison and many more like them might be moved on. The next 24 hrs could be very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Cellino also shooting his mouth off again about Brian being on a (well deserved) holiday and how nobody is in charge. This guy must be manna from heaven for the media but I'd rather he shut up and got on with the job. I'll give him until the start of the next season before making my mind up about him but so far I've yet to see any positives other than he's paying wages (which admittedly is more than the last crowd could manage)!

Its stuff like this that I feared from the Italian. Unfortunately it seems we had no choice but to take him and in the end if he starts to put his money where his mouth is I guess it will be worth it. I hope:o

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

If the posts on Twitter / FB are anything to go by then while MC did pay the players wages he is not paying the other staff at the moment because of the new winding up order, not sure will that affect the players salaries too...

There is never a dull day for LUFC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Even in the off season we're in the news. Interesting to see Cellino at Rotherham last night wonder if he's putting the feelers out to Larry once more . Should never have sacked him anyways.

MC got hit with the **** stick when he bought in. LUFC will lighten his bank balance in no time, personally I think he has shown more commitment to Leeds in 3 months than GFH did in their entire time. I'll give him the benefit on that basis and if that means giving McD the bullet so be it. McD will walk into a job imo.

Hard to know what to expect transfer wise but I can see McCormack going the chap deserves a chance at a better standard than our mediocre championship level. I wonder if Becchio would fancy a return with Larry at the helm! Ta

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I see the clear out has begun thank god.

released players includes Jamie Ashdown, Michael Brown, El-Hadji Diouf, Adam Drury, Paul Green, Danny Pugh and Luke Varney.

United have taken up the option to extend the contracts of Alex Cairns and Afolabi Coker.

lol Daily Star reporting that hes letting go 440 people

Interesting us keeping Killock but I have to agree with all of the others. He played OK against Shels last year. Obviously the Turner twins didn't impress enough at Chester.

The next step is as to how many of the 2015 expirees will be transfer listed !!
    DoctaDee wrote: »
    Interesting to see Cellino at Rotherham last night wonder if he's putting the feelers out to Larry once more .

Speculation was that he was watching Kieran Agard

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Charlie Taylor could be the breakthrough player next season

Next season is also the last chance for Aidy White

Ptessure on BMD being cranked up even further now with Cellino now recalling the squad for 28 May, a month earlier than they planned. Cellino says that each players' contract provides for 25 days annual leave holidays. Everyone left on 3 May.

I'm sure the 25 days should not include weekends but that wod only push things into early June at worst.

Another option for Cellino is to give everyone June off - as UNPAID Leave !

You can see Cellino now saying that BMD had no authority to gives players extended free annual leave and could then give Cellino the angle to dismiss BMD for gross misconduct or something similar - or basically anything to avoid paying BMD the 1.5m in compo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

While I agree that the players and management didn't exactly deserve their wages on many occasions, I question the benefit of having the players back at pre-season too soon. These are highly tuned athletes and constant strenuous exercise is not good for the mind or the body. I'm no expert, but it could lead to a series of injuries come the crucial time of the season

championc wrote: »
    ........Speculation was that he was watching Kieran Agard

Wouldn't mind him or Ben Pringle wearing a shirt next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

daivd haigh is arrested in dubai http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27502223

interesting to see if anything sticks

GFH Capital statement grabbed from twitter:
    "GFH Capital understands that a former employee has been arrested in Dubai and charged on suspicion of fraud, embezzlement and money laundering while he was employed at the bank. We are unable to provide any further details at this stage while the case is being considered by the authorities."

I swear Days of our Lives was never as dramatic as life at ER! This is the same Haigh who a couple of weeks back made a statement to the Yorkshire Police about drug use in the boardroom ... tune in tomorrow for more twists! There has to be a good movie in this past year at ER!

So who thinks that Cellino's Forensic Accountants are on to something and that GFH have then decided to make Haigh the fall guy ? Might be a good time for Cellino to offer Noodleman and Co a deal for the remaining 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I bet David Peace is writing his next book right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Keep up @KJ - that's old news

Todays news was that because of the winding up order, all season ticket debit and credit card sales money is frozen so season ticket sales are now suspended.

Also, Cellino has revised "his decreed" players return date from 28th May to 3rd June. Players in consultation with the PFA to get a better understanding of their rights. Hopefully Norris and Co will not return in time and be fired for breech of contract - we live in hope !!

Did I read/hear somewhere that Carbone was tasked with submitting the retained players list to Cellino ? .... McD in that case is being seriously undermined

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Did I read/hear somewhere that Carbone was tasked with submitting the retained players list to Cellino ? .... McD in that case is being seriously undermined

Yes you did. Carbone and Cellino came up with the retained list for the senior players and Redfern for the youth team players. Completely undermining McDermott. :mad:

I reckon that's all a bit of bullsh1t. BMD would have done a list weeks ago, in the same way BMD will have already got his list of Summer targets

I see Westwood has been released by Sunderland. I think he would make a great signing for us. Very good keeper. Hasnt quite worked for him at Sunderland but injury played a big part in that and its his injury problems that would be the only question mark about him imo.

I still remember noticing this keeper first when we played Carlisle in the League one playoffs. He was great for them and pulled off a stunning save from a Beckford strike.

So has Julian Speroni at Crystal Palace. Would be delighted with either of those.

I think we have no chance of getting Speroni and I will be amazed Palace if let him go tbh. He hasn't been released by them - merely that he hasn't signed a new contract yet. Westwood certainly could be a possibility though. We probably won't hear much out of the club this week until Cellino meets BMcD next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

BMD gone by mutual consent. Hope he has a successful future.

• Advertisement

@APOPEY: #lufc Brian McDermott has just rung to say thank you. He said "Wow what a club. The fans are everything." Different class.

Can't help but like Brian

Right manager, wrong moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Echo the sentiments here - a gentleman who consistently was class in the way he behaved. All the best for the future Brian.

He deserved better than what he got. Hope he is successful elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Disappointed that he's gone. Never got a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Sorry that he is gone, but I think it just wasnt working.

Best of luck to him in the future.

• Advertisement

Can see Brian getting a nice club like Brighton and taking them up while we continue to struggle

Would be a typical leeds scenario

But looking nailed on the Carbone will be our next manager, except I don't think his job title will be manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Thanks Brian. I think you realised, like your predecessors, what a tough job it is to manage LUFC.

All the best

With Keane linked with Celtic could BMcD slot in as number 2 for the irish squad? He has expressed interest at managing ireland previously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Disappointed to see him go but it's blatantly obvious that Cellino doesn't want a manager in charge of the team, he wants a head coach. I assume he thinks that he knows best when it comes to transfer dealings.

I have to say I am not confident at all with this setup.

Crazy how things can change in a matter of hours

New name in the mix - Dave Hockaday

Yeah I've not heard of him either

Probably looking for a manager that wont question him, kind of like a puppet...

His only previous managerial experience was with Forest Green Rovers. Have we sunk that low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Hijpo wrote: »
    Probably looking for a manager that wont question him, kind of like a puppet...

Don't forget he'll be cheap!

If Cellino isn't looking for a manager but a head coach then I imagine there'll be a few unfamiliar names thrown around. Lot's of people know the managers of teams, not many would know first team coaches

According to his Wikipedia page, Hockaday was responsible for the creation of the first football academy in England, which was used as the template for the academies that all clubs have now. So in that regard he has some coaching credentials. He was also first team coach at Watford when they beat Leeds in the playoff final in 2006. However I still don't think he's anywhere near the calibre of staff that Leeds should be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement