Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning permission for driveway if pillars already in place

Options
  • 31-10-2019 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Situation:
    Cottage with small field as part of the site (part fenced for garden / part left as unused area/field).

There is road access with two pillars and farm style gate providing access into the 'field part'. If you wanted to turn this second entrance into another drive way for every day use do you need planning permission? I'm thinking no as there's already access and it's just the landscaping part that needs done but want to double check as maybe there's an "intended use" as part of any planning permission?

Thanks .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

Situation:
    Cottage with small field as part of the site (part fenced for garden / part left as unused area/field).

There is road access with two pillars and farm style gate providing access into the 'field part'. If you wanted to turn this second entrance into another drive way for every day use do you need planning permission? I'm thinking no as there's already access and it's just the landscaping part that needs done but want to double check as maybe there's an "intended use" as part of any planning permission?

Thanks .

Any pics?
    Is the entrance still there and keen dished?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a difference between a field entrance and a domestic entrance so in general you would need planning however if it's rural and opening onto a narrow road, it may be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

This is not the actual gate but a similar situation. A functioning clean open gate, fully visible with clear pillars. I just want to remove the gate and landscape the inside so I can drive in or out as the existing main entrance is very tight and it's difficult to turn the car so would be better to have an easier route.

https://images.app.goo.gl/7JNKBbe145FC4Zyn7

This is not a main road but a fairly small country road. I will suss it out when getting quotes for the work. Sounds like it could go either way so and not a black/white scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Not clear cut but assuming there's no planning history clearly setting out what the entrance is for and what the two parts of the site is for I'd say exempt from planning.

Laying a driveway would be covered by general ground works exemption. You are changing from an agricultural entrance to a residential entrance. But if the road is 4 metres or less in width, then you can open an entrance anyway without planning providing not a traffic hazard and your one exists. In short not a straight forward reply/answer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Moving this thread to construction and planning forum.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Op
    Best to send a google map, a few photos, and a sketch to the local coco engineer, they might advise on planning and whether it’s required.

Advertisement