Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greek gods and there egyptian counterparts

Options
  • 21-10-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

What are the egyptian counterparts ie what deities did the egyptians associate them similar in the way that hera was associated with juno and uni or athena as minerva etc.
    So what are the egyptian counterparts to the twelve olympians:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Olympians
    And was there an egyptian counterpart to hercules 12 labours and also the 12 titans:
    Oceanus and Tethys,
    Hyperion and Theia,
    Coeus and Phoebe,
    Cronus and Rhea,
    Mnemosyne, Themis,
    Crius, Iapetus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Considering that they are distinct pantheons of different Gods, there isn't a lot of direct association. It's not like we see with the Hellenic and Roman traditions, where a lot was directly co-opted from the one or the other.

According to myth, during the events of the Typhon episode, it's said that the Theoi (except Zeus and the Titan Hekate) fled to Egypt and assumed animal heads to hide from him. So they clearly saw similarity in some of them. But there are big problems to this, I think.

Horus and Apollon have some of the same remits; light and stuff, though never with the same rebellious air. Zeus and Ra would appear apt, with Isis and Hera then fitting in together. But Sekhmet and Hathor being the same throws a wrench in, as Aphrodite is seldom known for Her war aspect. You could see Typhon as Set, I guess; chaos, etc. But Typhon's a giant, not a God, certainly not Zeus' brother, and none of the other associations line up well either. And while Hades and Anubis fulfil roughly the same archetype, they do so with totally different attitudes. So I dunno. As a hard Hellenic Polytheist, I believe they are distinct deities, so the flaws in linkages stand out to me fairly prominently.

Essentially, there are archetypal patterns in most pantheons. But I think the Hellenic and Roman share a far closer connection than others, and looking for similar levels of connection with Egyptian Gods is probably not going to pan out.

All that said, your best bet is a group called Neos Alexandria. They combine Hellenic and Kemetic traditions to a degree, so they'd be very knowledgeable on this subject, far more so than myself. Their site is here, and they're on Facebook too.

And finally, there are well more than 12 Titans, whoever told you that was talking out their arse :P

Advertisement