Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy DarkDay

Options
  • 24-12-2002 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

We took some time to esplain to our 4 year old about the winter soltaice.
    He was pretty impreessed that we knew when the sun was going to start coming back cos he had missed it and you cant go out to play in the dark.

He went for a walk with his Dad to the shop and Brought me back a Candle he had spotted it and want to give me a present. A candle he wanted light as I had told him I would be lighting candles to Mark the soltaice.

I was given the candle and told
    " Happy Darkday Mammy "

So the lot of Ye what ever your beliefs
    Happy darkday, Soltaice , Christmas or
    Yule .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

While I was reading that a smile came to my face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

That's really cool. Heh... But why must there be special days on which we are merry and care for our fellow people. I just believe in kindness and peace for everyday, cause every day has the potential to be just as special as these festivals. Course we all get bad days...

But yeah... another smiling face. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

" Happy Darkday Mammy "

Cute!

To my two Yule is still largely defined by decorations, presents and food though Sadhbh, the eldest, seemed to get the thing about the days getting longer again.

Christmas was funny. We went over to my in-laws, the girls got more presents (multi-culturalism = more presents = good thing! :) ) and Béibhinn spent much of the day with a stuffed-toy pumpkin that shoulds "Happy Hallowe'en" when you squeeze it :D
    But why must there be special days on which we are merry and care for our fellow people.

Caring for our fellow people is something we should always do. For one thing its easier on the Sabbats when I actively surround myself with my family and other people I like, it's only something to really work at the rest of the time.

But as times of celebration they follow what is happening in the world around us. Yule festivities aren't just different to Lughnasadh festivities because of tradition. They are either directly or indirectly based on the fact that at Lughnasadh it's nice and warm but at Yule it's bloody cold (that said an outdoor ritual at the Yule sunrise has an impact based directly on the impracticality of being out in the coutryside at that time). In earlier days ones diet followed the seasons a lot more than in current times, and that also is reflected.

If nothing else get-togethers have to happen to a schedule, so people can arrange them. I think the most important thing about any holiday, whether a Sabbat, a secular holiday, or the religious holidays of other faiths, is that we take some time out from our day-to-day routine and get some perspective.

Advertisement