Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flock of large white birds flying in formation

Options
  • 09-10-2020 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

On October 5th I saw a flock of 20-30 large white birds flying in formation over the sea. They seemed to fly from Donabate/Lusk area to Howth (i.e. heading South a long the East coast). They were too far out to sea to see any identifying marks. They looked like domestic geese, but they surely couldn't have been. Anyone know what they might have been?

Comments

ciaranb115 wrote: »
    Hi,

On October 5th I saw a flock of 20-30 large white birds flying in formation over the sea. They seemed to fly from Donabate/Lusk area to Howth. They were too far out to sea to see any identifying marks. They looked like domestic geese, but they surely couldn't have been. Anyone know what they might have been?

Interestenly I saw 5/6 this morning. I assumed they were swans but could have been something else. This wasnt out to sea though but in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It sounds utterly lovely and magical!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

as someone else said could be swans.

Does anyone know if swans fly in family groups or in larger flocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

sheesh wrote: »
    as someone else said could be swans.

Does anyone know if swans fly in family groups or in larger flocks?

Yes they do:

https://www.swanlife.com/swans-life-in-field-groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Sounds like wild geese, they fly in a V formation behind a leader.

• Advertisement
Advertisement