Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax

Options
  • 22-01-2019 5:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I returned to work last April 2018, after over a decade off rearing a child. I own a house built 2003. Am I liable for property tax on my home? If so from when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

restive wrote: »
    I returned to work last April 2018, after over a decade off rearing a child. I own a house built 2003. Am I liable for property tax on my home? If so from when?

Have you not been paying the whole time since it was introduced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Was I meant to b?

Was I meant to b?

Well, yeah? It's a tax?

Why would not working mean you don't have to pay it?

Are there no exemptions

Are there no exemptions

Yes, but not for not working. Even if there were, you'd have to apply for it.

• Advertisement

Well I was not working for a decade, during which I must have had an exemption. However now that I am back at work I want to know what date am I liable from and what would the rate be?

Well I was not working for a decade, during which I must have had an exemption. However now that I am back at work I want to know what date am I liable from and what would the rate be?

There is no exemption for not working. You obviously had some kind of income in any case.

You can defer payments, but you can't be exempted from them and revenue charge interest. You also have to apply for this, you probably owe the tax man a few grand.

Property taxes are due every November from what I know. But you need to find out how much back tax you owe first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You were always liable. Just cause you didn't pay doesn't mean you had an exemption. Get on to to revenue to check how much you owe and get it paid up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

restive wrote:
    Was I meant to b?

Yes
    restive wrote:
    Are there no exemptions

No

You can defer it in cases of hardship but interest is charged. If y haven't asked for it to be deferred I think they slap on penalties & interest

There is a household charge of 100 from 2012. If you haven't paid this I think you owe 200 by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Taking time off to rear a child = not relevant for LPT.

Read this:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/index.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Advertisement