Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a friend post a watch from US to Ireland?

• 22-01-2019 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought a watch in the US and its being delivered to a friend who lives there. I will be over there in a few month so can pick it up then. My question is - is there a way for them to post it to Ireland now as a 'gift' to me and have it fully insured? If customs check it will they put a value on it and charge import duty? Its a secondhand watch but not sure that matters really. I know technical even if I'm over there and bring it back myself I'm supposed to declare in customs at airport but I'm sure like others ive bought phones etc and just chanced bringing them before and haven't had to pay import fees etc. Worst cast id wear the watch home and post the box.

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

Via the postal system you can receive gifts up to €45 without paying vat and duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I just posted one to Deep Thought and gifts above €22 including postage costs are supposed to pay duty.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

It's the chance you take, none of my packages were ever stopped but I had my mother in law use the cheapest shipping option and a low declared value. She always put birthday cards inside the boxes which I found amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭micks_address

HDMI wrote: »
    I just posted one to Deep Thought and gifts above €22 including postage costs are supposed to pay duty.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

It's the chance you take, none of my packages were ever stopped but I had my mother in law use the cheapest shipping option and a low declared value. She always put birthday cards inside the boxes which I found amusing.

She put birthday cards inside boxes to post? Was that so it looked like a gift or something?

Can you send something insured for x but declare value on packing to be y?

She put birthday cards inside boxes to post? Was that so it looked like a gift or something?

Can you send something insured for x but declare value on packing to be y?

The birthdays cards were if customs opened the box it would appear as a genuine gift and not charge me any fees.

They brought out new 3 part custom declaration forms so the value you declare is also your insured value. Not sure if there are any third party services offering independent insurance. But I imagine they would frown on a low declared value and high insured value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Any suggestions on where the value is from the US? Any brands, sites or shops in particular?
    I have a friend coming over from California. I’m keen to buy something and could have it delivered to him.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

shutup wrote: »
    Any suggestions on where the value is from the US? Any brands, sites or shops in particular?
    I have a friend coming over from California. I’m keen to buy something and could have it delivered to him.
    Thanks

You have loads of options, you can even buy from the likes of Steinhart in the EU and if you have it shipped to the US to your friend you would have no duty. You can but direct from Japan and ship it to your friend, under $800 and no import duty into the US.

For new watches Jomashop and Ashford are quite good, used check out watchrecon and let someone else take the hit on depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Thanks very much. I’m actually looking at a steinhart. Bizarre they can buy from Germany cheaper than we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

shutup wrote: »
    Thanks very much. I’m actually looking at a steinhart. Bizarre they can buy from Germany cheaper than we can.

Not bizarre. We in the EU have VAT. If you export to outside of the EU, you don't have to charge VAT. So a watch that costs €400 on the German website (incl. 19% German VAT) is only €336 for a US customer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

unkel wrote: »
    Not bizarre. We in the EU have VAT. If you export to outside of the EU, you don't have to charge VAT. So a watch that costs €400 on the German website (incl. 19% German VAT) is only €336 for a US customer...

Only if they live in a State without local sales taxes. They are similar to our VAT levels but never included in display prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Only if they live in a State without local sales taxes. They are similar to our VAT levels but never included in display prices.

Pretty sure you only pay local sales taxes on goods purchased in that particular state and not on imported goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Del2005 wrote: »

Sales tax isn't similar to our VAT. I think the most sales tax I've ever seen is about 7%

Nolimits wrote: »
    Sales tax isn't similar to our VAT. I think the most sales tax I've ever seen is about 7%

Here in NC state tax is 4.75% and then there are county taxes added on top of 2-2.5% so approx 7%. Still takes time to get used to that amount being added on to the top of a big price item. You think you negotiate one price for your car then your chin hits the floor when they bring the final bill. I wish it was all inclusive pricing was brought in, not really sure why they keep it separate.

Sometimes the tax gets added on to purchases from Amazon but not on purchases from abroad unless its above $800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Its on the Way From Zurich now

Am I getting a card aswell :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Its on the Way From Zurich now

Am I getting a card aswell :D

Zurich is an unusual route from here and might give you a better chance at beating customs. When I saw it in Miami I thought it was going to slow it down, but it seems to be moving fairly quick.

Unfortunately no birthday card because the box is only a 6 inch cube, so just a little note..... sorry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Zurich is an unusual route from here and might give you a better chance at beating customs. When I saw it in Miami I thought it was going to slow it down, but it seems to be moving fairly quick.

Unfortunately no birthday card because the box is only a 6 inch cube, so just a little note..... sorry :D

Portlaise now

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭micks_address

Portlaise now
    I think I'm too nervous to get my watch posted..it's an Omega Aqua Terra skyfall. No idea how customs would value it if they did open

Portlaise now

Don't think it got sent to customs, 3 minutes after arriving in Portlaoise it was scanned and the scanned again to say in transit, hopefully to yourself.

I think I'm too nervous to get my watch posted..it's an Omega Aqua Terra skyfall. No idea how customs would value it if they did open

You're heading to the US in a few months so just wear it coming back. If it was me I would post the empty box back to Ireland, bring the warranty cards with you they should be easier to hide.

Advertisement