Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken window hinge

• 22-01-2019 12:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

now at the min im just looking for a solution to close my window , its upstairs bedroom , ive 2 windows i can open , just this is stiff and won't budge , i just want to pull / close it so i don't need to open again

i'm getting new windows in 7 weeks , but with the cold weather the room is freezing so any idea's ??

quoted €110 to fix fook that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The hinges are a couple of quid. Drill it out if it won't unscrew (think its riveted in) and then rivet in a new one.

If you buy all the tools you could do it for about €70.

You normally need to remove the window completely to get the hinges off just to be able to get at the screws or rivets. Yours is top hung and these are the cheapest of hinges. This sort of hinge https://www.ie.screwfix.com/mila-ideal-window-friction-hinges-top-hung-250mm-pack-of-2.html but you can get them much cheaper.

Edit> You could just force the window closed and then screw through the frame if its going to be replaced soon. You might need to grind/saw/hack the moving parts of the old hinge off first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

i've no ladder and afraid of heights , so that's a no no from a ladder point of view

in regards to drilling etc , i'm useless at DIY

so i'm snookered it seems

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    i've no ladder and afraid of heights , so that's a no no from a ladder point of view

Labour wise the job shouldn't take a tradesman more than an hour and the materials cost is under a tenner.

While €110 (if it includes VAT and materials) seems steep it isn't that bad when you include travelling time. Assuming this is a proper tradesmans quote and not some local bodger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You surely know someone that could cut a piece of plywood the size of the window frame and screw it on for you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That can be fixed from inside the house,just drill out the broken rivet,takes 2 minutes and put a screw in to replace it.
    WD 40 on the hinge too if it's seized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That can be fixed from inside the house,just drill out the broken rivet,takes 2 minutes and put a screw in to replace it.
    WD 40 on the hinge too if it's seized.

It's not as easy as you make it out to be to fix that hinge.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

my3cents wrote: »
    Labour wise the job shouldn't take a tradesman more than an hour and the materials cost is under a tenner.

While €110 (if it includes VAT and materials) seems steep it isn't that bad when you include travelling time. Assuming this is a proper tradesmans quote and not some local bodger.

cash in hand

lives 2 mins away

If those hinges are broken then the window often won't close at all. The problem is that they have plastic components that snap and completely destroy the geometry of the hinge so the corners of the window don't seat properly as the window starts to close making it so it can't be closed at all.

cash in hand

lives 2 mins away

Thats a rip off!

my3cents wrote: »
    Thats a rip off!

exactly

i'm all for somebody making a living

but a days wage for an hr ?

names billy hunt not silly cnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's not as easy as you make it out to be to fix that hinge.

I suppose,the op did say they weren't experienced. I would be able to do it but the op (no offense) maybe not.
    If the windows are being replaced,just take a grinder or hacksaw to the hinge,close the window and screw it shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Hinge is likely just stiff. Silicone spray will probably solve it.
    Most people never lubricate the hinges of their windows after they are installed.

Hinge is likely just stiff. Silicone spray will probably solve it.
    Most people never lubricate the hinges of their windows after they are installed.

Lack of lubrication and lack of cleaning was probably the cause but when they get old and a bit stiff the plastic sliding part often snaps and this kills the geometry of the hinge. Once snapped you can tip the window up and down but the part that pulls the window in to close it no longer works making closing the window impossible.

Advertisement