Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm buildings Renovation Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Looked into it about 2 years ago, my Glas planner said it was a waste of time and money applying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1

Tried applying for it under REPS a few years back and they wanted the building to look exactly as it did in the 1800s. I think their expectations of how far 25k goes in the building trade are a bit unrealistic TBH.

Maybe if you have a small slated building with the roof just needing a few slates and you can do the work yourself it might be worth applying.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thanks for the info on this.

It's a tryical long run of stone sheds with slate roof which I've had in mind to do something with for a while.

However as this is a countrywide scheme I don't fancy my chances with the follwing tbh
    Eligible applicants for the scheme are chosen on a competitive basis and around 50 to 70 projects will be supported each year.

Why the need for a 'competitive basis'? for a what is in fact a tiny farm buidling scheme. Could they not just use a cut off for applications?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

gozunda wrote: »
    Thanks for the info on this.

It's a tryical long run of stone sheds with slate roof which I've had in mind to do something with for a while.

However as this is a countrywide scheme I don't fancy my chances per the follwing tbh

Why the need for a 'competitive basis'? for a what is in fact a tiny farm buidling scheme. Could they not just use a cut off for applications?

Perhaps you're supposed to feel like you've won something when you actually get approved for funding:D I really think this is a scheme so that the heritage council can justify their existence.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

blue5000 wrote: »
    Perhaps you're supposed to feel like you've won something when you actually get approved for funding:D I really think this is a scheme so that the heritage council can justify their existence.

Much like EBay! Where you dont just spent a shed load of money (unintentional pun btw) you win something! Yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My ag. advisor had one entrant for the scheme whom he was sure would get approval. Old cut stone stables built in the 1800's, roof of Welsh slate with fancy ridge tiles, also stamped "Flintshire" from Wales, hay loft above etc.
    It needed all new timbers etc before it collapsed.
    Got report by a conservation architect, all the forms filled and boxes ticked.
    Rejected.
    Architects work cost nearly 500 euro, all to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Same as that went to a fair amount of work getting quotes etc and got rejected as the photos and maps I sent in weren't clear enough....like they are fine for every other dept scheme but these lads think they are special...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

I do work on and off on government works and schemes like such, when they mention competitive basis it usually refers to the best value for money or bang for their buck that they can get.

Advertisement