Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paypal and Revenue

• 21-01-2019 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hello. If you earn an income through paypal you have to self declare the tax you owe and sort that all out. I'm just wondering do revenue have a way of checking if you're paying the correct tax on earnings? Do paypal report earning to the revenue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

How do you earn money through Paypal: is it not a payment system so its the guys who make you the payments through Paypal are the guys to worry about.
    They are not like AirBnB, or are they?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Sureal

I'm not sure. I don't really know how Airbnb works. Can't people get paid selling things through paypal? Also, some companies pay through paypal I think. I've googled, there really isn't a lot of information on how the tax system works in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Talk to an accountant. They will sort out what you owe. Keep some money aside every year to pay accountant. They will advise you on how to better structure your income, e.g. Tax, write-offs, pension,etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Sureal wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I don't really know how Airbnb works. Can't people get paid selling things through paypal? Also, some companies pay through paypal I think. I've googled, there really isn't a lot of information on how the tax system works in this case.

It's quite simple. Are you trading/earning additional non PAYE income? If you are then you must declare it on a form 12 or form 11 tax return. How you are paid isn't really relevant. You earned the income so it must be declared.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/additional-incomes/is-your-extra-income-taxable/index.aspx

It's quite simple. Are you trading/earning additional non PAYE income? If you are then you must declare it on a form 12 or form 11 tax return. How you are paid isn't really relevant. You earned the income so it must be declared.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/additional-incomes/is-your-extra-income-taxable/index.aspx

No, I'm not earning any additional income. This thread isn't about me. I know someone in this position. It's not someone I'm that friendly with, actually the opposite. I'm just wondering how they can get away with being paid through paypal? Do paypal not report earnings to revenue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

No, I'm not earning any additional income. This thread isn't about me. I know someone in this position. It's not someone I'm that friendly with, actually the opposite. I'm just wondering how they can get away with being paid through paypal? Do paypal not report earnings to revenue?

Is it Air B&B they are getting money from

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Is it Air B&B they are getting money from

No, they are getting paid through paypal! It's not airbnb they are doing. Why, does airbnb not get reported either?

No, they are getting paid through paypal! It's not airbnb they are doing. Why, does airbnb not get reported either?

Paid through paypal for what though? Paypal is just a facility to receive/pay money. What are they being paid for

Air B&B and similar short term rental sites do provide Revenue with info of those who receive payments

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Paid through paypal for what though? Paypal is just a facility to receive/pay money. What are they being paid for

They have a few things on the go. A kind of a business and another thing with an overseas company. Both get paid through paypal. They don't pay tax, they told me directly. How are they getting away with it is what I want to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They have a few things on the go. A kind of a business and another thing with an overseas company. Both get paid through paypal. They don't pay tax, they told me directly. How are they getting away with it is what I want to know?

it should be declared as income regardless, theyll need to fill out a form 11 and declare the income. They should really talk to an accountant.

If they make money being an 'influencer' or selling pictures of themselves then please report them OP, sick of those people thinking that they don't have to declare that.

• Advertisement

If you believe someone isn't reporting taxable income please advise Revenue through the portal in the link and allow them to investigate.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/reporting.aspx

it should be declared as income regardless, theyll need to fill out a form 11 and declare the income. They should really talk to an accountant.

If they make money being an 'influencer' or selling pictures of themselves then please report them OP, sick of those people thinking that they don't have to declare that.

Who do I report them to? The revenue? Will they just investigate on an anonymous tip? Or will I have to give my name?

Who do I report them to? The revenue? Will they just investigate on an anonymous tip? Or will I have to give my name?

No need to provide your own details just as much info regarding the individual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/index.aspx

You can just report it, Revenue will do the rest.

Just because they havent caught them yet doesnt meant they wont get a letter a few years down the road asking for a big underpayment.

If you believe someone isn't reporting taxable income please advise Revenue through the portal in the link and allow them to investigate.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/reporting.aspx

Thanks for the link. It's not just a case of giving their name and address it seems. I don't have much other proof apart from what I was told by the person and the fact that they have assets that seem far beyond their wage level!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

ED E wrote: »
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/index.aspx

You can just report it, Revenue will do the rest.

Just because they havent caught them yet doesnt meant they wont get a letter a few years down the road asking for a big underpayment.

Oh so paypal will eventually report them? Or maybe there's a limit before paypal will report?

Thanks for the link. It's not just a case of giving their name and address it seems. I don't have much other proof apart from what I was told by the person and the fact that they have assets that seem far beyond their wage level!

Give as much info as you can. All reports have to be investigated. That however doesn't mean Revenue will think there is actually a risk after reviewing all information available to them. However, sometimes the smallest piece of information can add to a nearly complete picture.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

The Revenue will bury it deep, it’s not just the undeclared tax it’s the fines etc that are the real killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Oh so paypal will eventually report them? Or maybe there's a limit before paypal will report?

Or whoever is paying them submits an invoice, bank statements etc. to Revenue or even gets audited by Revenue and they check to see where the money is going.

There's always a trail.

• Advertisement

Give as much info as you can. All reports have to be investigated. That however doesn't mean Revenue will think there is actually a risk after reviewing all information available to them. However, sometimes the smallest piece of information can add to a nearly complete picture.

Ok, I think I will. It does seem a bit vindictive though. They aren't a very nice person but.....I don't know. I'll have to think about it.

The Revenue will bury it deep, it’s not just the undeclared tax it’s the fines etc that are the real killer.

I don't want to destroy them!

Ok, I think I will. It does seem a bit vindictive though. They aren't a very nice person but.....I don't know. I'll have to think about it.

Don’t do it . How could you look yourself in the mirror ?

Let peope get in with it and earn their money however they choose .

Or whoever is paying them submits an invoice, bank statements etc. to Revenue or even gets audited by Revenue and they check to see where the money is going.

There's always a trail.

Ah ok. It's bound to happen sometime.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I don't want to destroy them!

Revenue don’t do things by half’s.

Gonad wrote: »
    Don’t do it . How could you look yourself in the mirror ?

Let peope get in with it and earn their money however they choose .

Maybe. I'll just let them get found out themselves.

Ah ok. It's bound to happen sometime.

Yes but it's not guaranteed and an anonymous tip can send them in the right direction earlier.

Maybe. I'll just let them get found out themselves.

Look after yourself mate.

Not going to bring you any luck by doing it. I know someone in same position. Making a killing online selling stuff and not declaring it . I would never dream of telling anyone. Let them figure it out themselves

Revenue don’t do things by half’s.

What are we talking here? They'll have to pay back the tax they owe and how much of a fine on top?

• Advertisement

Gonad wrote: »
    Look after yourself mate.

Not going to bring you any luck by doing it. I know someone in same position. Making a killing online selling stuff and not declaring it . I would never dream of telling anyone. Let them figure it out themselves

Are they not worried about getting found out? I can't believe paypal and the like don't report these earnings!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

We are so quick to screw each other over, it's priceless.

vargoo wrote: »

I'm leaning against it now. I thought it'd be just pay the tax you owe and stop doing what you're doing.

Are they not worried about getting found out? I can't believe paypal and the like don't report these earnings!

I’m sure they are worried but that’s their business tbh. The way I see it they are not selling drugs or harming anyone . They are making a few quid on the side and let them at it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Tow

What are we talking here? They'll have to pay back the tax they owe and how much of a fine on top?

As a very general rule X3. So 1K in back tax and another 2k in penalties and interest = 3k.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    As a very general rule X3. So 1K in back tax and another 2k in penalties and interest = 3k.

You're miles off with that.

Just a quick look at the 2018's list of defaulters shows that penalties and interest were the following percentage of tax owed.

Q3 78.8%
    Q2 65.6%
    Q1 74.7%

Plus these are from the publicised list of defaulters so the penalties and interest are more going to be higher than the non publicised ones as the penalty has to be over a certain percentage for it to be published.

• Advertisement

Its theft, same as SWO theft

Its theft, same as SWO theft

Strictly speaking its not "theft"..... its just "not paying". (the difference between taking and giving)
    The person is not stealing or taking anything as would happen with Social Welfare fraud & claiming a benefit you are not entitled to.

So its not stealing/theft. I'm not condoning this behaviour, just pointing out the difference between stealing money that is not yours and withholding money you earned (illegally or not).

Strictly speaking its not "theft"..... its just "not paying". (the difference between taking and giving)
    The person is not stealing or taking anything as would happen with Social Welfare fraud & claiming a benefit you are not entitled to.

So its not stealing/theft. I'm not condoning this behaviour, just pointing out the difference between stealing money that is not yours and withholding money you earned (illegally or not).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft

By withholding taxes and then availing of services for which you have not paid your share for is theft.

The person they are doing over is the rest of us who pick up the slack.

There is no indication that this is small money on the side. It could be IT contracting or it could be selling junk from the attic.

A quick search doesn't tell me if this information is shared automatically here. It is in the US after a certain point.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

A quick search doesn't tell me if this information is shared automatically here. It is in the US after a certain point.

Same here, paypal report it. Don't know at what amount but 100% they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

I would imagine it will keep out at some point depending on the size of the income.

Revenue at times will look across taxes to see if items make sense. So if they buy a car worth 50k and both are only on SW. Revenue can come and ask where the money came from.

Advertisement