Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting advice

• 21-01-2019 4:11pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my wife and i want to pint our bedroom, as the paint in there is a horrible colour and is some weird type of paint that stains if any sort of liquid goes near it. Also had a mould issue last year, which is sorted, but the paint is horrible from that as well. Might not even be proper paint, but whatever...we want to change it. Landlord said thats fine, so gonna start this weekend probably.

Given whatever is currently on the walls, i'll probably need to scrape/sand it off first, right? Or could i just put a primer over it and then paint? Current colour is some sort of white/cream, and we want to paint it blue. Average size bedroom, so i figure i'd need 10-15 litres to cover the walls, plus a primer. Am i better off getting paint from woodies and the likes, or is there other places to get it that are cheaper?

We also need to do the bathroom at some stage, but will do the bedroom first. Same sort of paint is on the walls in there, which is beyond stupid in a bathroom, but that's the way it is.

This is my first time doing any sort of paint work, so any advice is appreciated (i'm also doing my own research :P)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Dont buy cheap 'woodies' own brand paint ... you will need so many coats of it you will go mad. Buy a brand name paint, which will cost you a little more but 2 coats and you will be done. Woodies own brand paint will be at least 4 coats... I speak from experience!!
    You shouldnt need to 'prime' or sand the walls unless they are bumpy and uneven in places, generally paint on paint will be fine.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I would strongly recommend Colourtrend paint. We just did our living room with it and it was unbelievable how well it covered as opposed to the store brand stuff. We went to Stillorgan Decor in Dublin and we bought this additive that stops mould, which they put in for us when they were mixing the colour so it was well blended with the paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Toots wrote: »
    I would strongly recommend Colourtrend paint. We just did our living room with it and it was unbelievable how well it covered as opposed to the store brand stuff. We went to Stillorgan Decor in Dublin and we bought this additive that stops mould, which they put in for us when they were mixing the colour so it was well blended with the paint.
    +1 for Colourtrend. I always go for the ceramic matt. Dearer but worth it. Ring the factory store direct for prices, they're based in Celbridge and very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

(I'm not a painter but I have to do all the painting in my house so double check the below)

I think if you got a 5 liter (does 40 m square) tub of paint it would be enough for the bedroom, giving it two coats. You probably only need two coats as you are painting a dark colour over a white\cream colour. Anyway start with a 5 liter and if you get stuck get another 2.5 liter. Paint is expensive too so don't overbuy. A 2.5 liter of Dulux is €33 I think in Woodies.

I would get a 1 litre (maybe less depending on size) tin of Zinser 123 Red tin (€40 ish euro) for the primer and just cover any places where there was mold or damage. I've never sanded a painted or scrapped a paint wall so unless its pealing off, I wouldn't bother doing that. Spend money on a good roller with an extension rod plus some decent brushes. If you are painting for two days and using the same colour, a handy trick is to wrap the paint brush in clingfilm and make it airtight when you are finished on the first night. That way you can just keep using it the next day and you dont have to wash it out, same with roller brushes and half used tray of paint. Spend time getting the room ready, tape off plug sockets, light switches and they cut in all the edges about 4 inches afterwards roll it.

If you do go with zinser its oil based so just get cheap brushes and throw them out after. I would use water based paint for anything else.

I was in Woodies on Friday and they have 25% sale on Dulux at the moment.

Advertisement